How do you do it...like psychologically speaking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickZac

Reaction score
I am really curious as to how you can maintain your composure working in rabbit rescue. Like I read about the evil things people do to rabbits and it just tears me apart. People are so cruel and ignorant and their evil intent or lack of care-knowledge causes so much pain and suffering to our little friends...like how do you maintain your composure psychologically? You all have my admiration and respect...I do not think I could do it.

I've been in rabbit rescue for around 3 1/2 years. I've seen some total horrors...where the rabbit has ended up dying in spite of the best vet care. I've also seen horrible abuse cases successfully treated and the rabbits going on to live in wonderful forever homes. It's those successes that keep us going, in addition to all the other rabbits we take in that were not abused, just abandoned, that we are able to place in loving homes.

I may not have worked in a rabbit rescue but rather with cats and dogs. It's difficult to tolerate people and all you can do is simply stick to professional business only. I never respond to anything they have to say and if the animal is clearly abused (mange, fight marks, starved) I don't hide my disgust one bit and make sure they know that I think they are scum...but then again, i'm very outspoken. Most people think all the animals in the shelter are broken and abused and the reality is, they aren't (although many shelters use that as a selling point to get animals adopted) In fact only a small percentage are neglected. Most people I've worked with are decent people who have come into a situation where they can't keep there animal, either because of illness or finances. If they are decent people then I never speak poorly about them with adopters come in to look at the animal and make sure they no the animal wasn't abused. Sometimes I dont tell them anyway as they sometimes prefer those animals or treat them differently and use them to make them look better.
If the people are bastards then I have no problem with telling them they are bastards but I think it's because I can't turn my emotions off when I see bad cases.:tears2:

When I was working for vets in private practice I couldn't do a euthanasia that I didn't feel was a medical mercy. I took home and found lots of furever homes for animals I just couldn't kill. Most of the people just didn't think anyone would take the animals.

LaLa was a 13 year old cat and the humans just had a baby. LaLa proceeded to pee all over the place. They were convinced no one would take a 13 year old cat. My mom did so she would be in a single pet home. She lived to be 21 and totally spoiled.

I took in a new born kitten they were going to put down because the mom was a stray and ran off. He needed round the clock feedings. By the time he could eat on his own I couldn't let him go. Duncan lived until he was 6 and got cancer, but he was a spoiled baby.

If I knew who hit my Becky I would do something drastic to them because she is the sweetest little bun ever. I just love her and take care of her eyes so she feels better. I think particularly with rabbits it's a good thing I get them from the wonderful people who rescue rather than having direct contact. I'm not sure at this point if I could contain myself anymore. I do tend to take the abused animals just because I have the medical background and can deal with lasting medical issues that can make them harder to place.

Indiana Bunns (RIP) was such a such a sweet black and white lop. He had been very neglected. When he was surrendered they said he might have a little eye infection. The infection was so bad his eye had to be removed and he was deaf on that side. He was so thin and didn't know how to hop. After months of medications, baths, intense feeding he was so much better. I will never forget him falling asleep in my arms or the two times he kissed me. He learned to hop, periscope, and finally litter trained. The abscess in his eye came back and he didn't make it through emergency surgery, but he knew love. He knew a happy peaceful home of plenty. I'm confident he will wait for me at the rainbow bridge. That is what makes it worth getting so attached to the broken babies, to help their hearts heal in this world.

MiniLopHop wrote:
When I was working for vets in private practice I couldn't do a euthanasia that I didn't feel was a medical mercy. I took home and found lots of furever homes for animals I just couldn't kill. Most of the people just didn't think anyone would take the animals.

LaLa was a 13 year old cat and the humans just had a baby. LaLa proceeded to pee all over the place. They were convinced no one would take a 13 year old cat. My mom did so she would be in a single pet home. She lived to be 21 and totally spoiled.

I took in a new born kitten they were going to put down because the mom was a stray and ran off. He needed round the clock feedings. By the time he could eat on his own I couldn't let him go. Duncan lived until he was 6 and got cancer, but he was a spoiled baby.

If I knew who hit my Becky I would do something drastic to them because she is the sweetest little bun ever. I just love her and take care of her eyes so she feels better. I think particularly with rabbits it's a good thing I get them from the wonderful people who rescue rather than having direct contact. I'm not sure at this point if I could contain myself anymore. I do tend to take the abused animals just because I have the medical background and can deal with lasting medical issues that can make them harder to place.

Indiana Bunns (RIP) was such a such a sweet black and white lop. He had been very neglected. When he was surrendered they said he might have a little eye infection. The infection was so bad his eye had to be removed and he was deaf on that side. He was so thin and didn't know how to hop. After months of medications, baths, intense feeding he was so much better. I will never forget him falling asleep in my arms or the two times he kissed me. He learned to hop, periscope, and finally litter trained. The abscess in his eye came back and he didn't make it through emergency surgery, but he knew love. He knew a happy peaceful home of plenty. I'm confident he will wait for me at the rainbow bridge. That is what makes it worth getting so attached to the broken babies, to help their hearts heal in this world.

Wow...that is moving and it makes sense. How many rabbits were actually abused/neglected versus that the owners simply could no longer provide care? Are there moments in which you feel overwhelmed? How long did you have Indiana Bunns for?

In the rescue I work with there are many more surendered vs abused. One recent bunn was clearly very loved. He came with a little back pack filled with toys, scarves to dress up in, harness and leash, and treats. With this economy his mom just couldn't keep him because she had lost her job and home. We are hoping things look up for her and she can get him back.

I do get sad that I can't save and spoil every bunn that needs a home. It's overwhelming the numbers of animals that just want to be loved. I do what I can and have to be content that I totally change the worlds of the ones I can save. I also sent toys for all the rescue bunns for Christmas. This is where I get my kid's toys from and I sent a box to the rescue. They are very kind and double your money.
http://pet-rabbit-toys.com/store/in...ath=11&zenid=1103912a2d2e3ee700c16fb11a06e985

Indy was with us from February until September. He even knew bunny love. He instantly bonded with Becky. They were both special and helped eachother.

004-3.jpg

016-1.jpg

I have to agree with minilophop, working at one where the rabbits are more often surrendered makes it a lot easier. Having done both, I can honestly say I like the new place I've started at much better. They have a vet and caretaker who specialize in special needs buns, so a lot of the bunnies we get are the sweetest, most adorable tilty buns or amputees. Their owners decided they didn't know how to adequately care with for a special needs bun, so they're surrendered to the bunnyshelter.
I think a lot of it also depends on the staff. A really fun, passionate, supportive staff makes ALL the difference. Middle schoolers getting their community service hours do not a supportive staff make.

MiniLopHop wrote:
In the rescue I work with there are many more surendered vs abused. One recent bunn was clearly very loved. He came with a little back pack filled with toys, scarves to dress up in, harness and leash, and treats. With this economy his mom just couldn't keep him because she had lost her job and home. We are hoping things look up for her and she can get him back.

I do get sad that I can't save and spoil every bunn that needs a home. It's overwhelming the numbers of animals that just want to be loved. I do what I can and have to be content that I totally change the worlds of the ones I can save. I also sent toys for all the rescue bunns for Christmas. This is where I get my kid's toys from and I sent a box to the rescue. They are very kind and double your money.
http://pet-rabbit-toys.com/store/in...ath=11&zenid=1103912a2d2e3ee700c16fb11a06e985

Indy was with us from February until September. He even knew bunny love. He instantly bonded with Becky. They were both special and helped eachother.

004-3.jpg

016-1.jpg

So cute :cry1::cry1::cry1: It is amazing how quick rabbits can learn or relearn love and affection.

Latest posts

Back