How do people treat you?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually don't care if someone gives me a weird look or is rude to me. People are rude to me all the time because of a thousand things. I'm rather used to it.

I truly believe I'm the only person I know (in person) that really understands my love for animals. Honestly, if I could take in all the stray animals in our neighborhood (mostly dogs, unfortunately, which is IMPOSSIBLE for us at the moment), I would! When we have a yard...WATCH OUT!! I'll want to adopt a dog...possibly a boxer...who I would name Daisy, after the sweet Boxer dog my sister had that went so forgotten and unloved, and finally died from sadness...:( (They never really diagnosed her with anything...just general dying of her body...:()

Anyway, who knows...Danny's set on getting a beagle eventually...and of course naming him/her Snoopy. Hey, I don't mind...I LOVE beagles!!! Maybe a beagle couple named Snoopy and Daisy? Hehe! I think I'm smitten with that idea...:)

My point being: I think ya'll are the only ones that could possibly understand me and my love for animals. :)

maherwoman wrote:
I truly believe I'm the only person I know (in person) that really understands my love for animals. Honestly, if I could take in all the stray animals in our neighborhood (mostly dogs, unfortunately, which is IMPOSSIBLE for us at the moment), I would! When we have a yard...WATCH OUT!! I'll want to adopt a dog...possibly a boxer...who I would name Daisy, after the sweet Boxer dog my sister had that went so forgotten and unloved, and finally died from sadness...:( (They never really diagnosed her with anything...just general dying of her body...:()

Anyway, who knows...Danny's set on getting a beagle eventually...and of course naming him/her Snoopy. Hey, I don't mind...I LOVE beagles!!! Maybe a beagle couple named Snoopy and Daisy? Hehe! I think I'm smitten with that idea...:)

My point being: I think ya'll are the only ones that could possibly understand me and my love for animals. :)

I totally know what you mean. :)

I probably talk about my buns WAY too much. But oh well..this forum gives me a place to talk about them even more than I already do. :)

i know how you feel. I was with my dad at home depot and asked the guy if he has any white storage cubes to make a cage for my bunny. Then the guy starts laughing and cracking all these annoying jokes about rabbits and he says:

"I had a rabbit once, i have NEVER seen so much krap in my life!!!"

UHH!

That's why I love it here so much! I love that ya'll love your buns as much as I do mine...and I can talk to ya'll about them as much as the day is long! :D

Penna wrote:
maherwoman wrote:

I totally know what you mean. :)

I probably talk about my buns WAY too much. But oh well..this forum gives me a place to talk about them even more than I already do. :)

I have never really suffered with people thinking I am nuts about my animals becsue I either pay no attention what so ever or give them a good telling off if they dare to be so rude! My father-in-law is the worst, he thinks they are a waste of money, my usual reply is, so a bottle of brandy is money well spent??

My sister-n-law has the animal bug too and at one point had three rabbits, a piggie, two gerbils, a tank of fish and some stick insects. Friends and family thought she was nutty?

Don't get it myself, some people drink/smoke or party endlessly, we love our animals and that is good for our health!

It's funny - in work I get a certain amount of respect because of what I know about bunnies (mostly learnt from here obviously), that is unless they snigger behind my back, but if they do - so what?

I used to drink, party, do drugs and smoke like a train, and when I finally got myself together I guess there was a void in my life. I'm not into relationships, and I don't trust people very easily - they can only get so close. The rabbits get so much deeper, and I love them for it, and like someone else here says - they make me laugh so much more than most people do.

Tonight I'm sitting here looking at two guinea pigs madly racing each other around their NIC cage, Flopsy coming back to herself after her spaying and making a god awful mess, and Moon stuffing his face with pellets. Before that I was in the TV room playing with Gizmo, and before that I was upstairs with Munchkin climbing all over me while I dried my hair...

That's my little slice of Heaven!

In my home, all my life, we have always had many pets. In fact I can only remember once when we had less than4 animals. I have had rabbits on and off for 23 years. Often when I was younger I would be talking to my friends and find that I was talking about my dog, bird, guinea pig, whatever I had at the time. A few years ago I was in an accident and I do not do many activities away from home. A year ago a lady gave me 12 Holland Lop rabbits at once, I already had one Giant Checkered rabbit, plus 6 guinea pigs, plus 2 dogs, and a bird. This lady thought that it would help me to get out more to show rabbits and it has. A few weeks ago some stray dogs attacked my rabbits, killing some does and babies and a buck. I was so very upset, I called my so called best friend who owns only a cat, and told her what happened - she could've cared less. Then my aunt found out and called, she left the most hurtful message on my answering machine, I am never speaking to her again. I know that people think that I am strange with my love for animals but I would rather be obsessed with animals than with drugs, drink or something harmful to me. Plus they say people with pets live happier, longer, healthier lives.And when I needed help fixing my fence and doing something to protect my rabbits from these stray dogs - no my friends did not show up to help, instead friends from the rabbit shows drove over an hour to help us fix our fence and make a real rabbitry, with a door and lock and all. We did have family members and two neighbors show up, it made me feel good to know that not all people think I am a complete crazy, freak, weirdo, just because I love animals.

I have found a lot of comfort in the words and friendships that I have made with other rabbit owners. If you own 1 or 100 - you understand.

I'm the freak of my family. Besides one of my neices and my own children, I'm the ONLY pet lover and my family thinks I have my priorities mixed up because I spend ("waste")money on pet food, bedding, litter, etc.

When I got my third cat, my dad said "this is getting stupid."

So yeah, I totally know what it feels like.

And yeah, my animals DO fill a void in my life. Isn't that a GOOD thing?

I have fibromyalgia and a lot of things that go along with that and my animals are theraputic and give me great comfort when I need it.

A lot of people just don't understand and never will.

I'm just lucky the landlady of my apartment building basically lets me have as many animals as I want as long as its under control.

Well, for me getting bunnies wasn't really a "stretch". I've had pet rats for over 6 years now. So I've definitely heard it all. I used to not bother telling anyone about them, because people feel the need to tell you their stories of killing them, their cat or dog killing them etc etc. I grew very tired of hearing about it. How rude. They are my babies. I began to use their comments as a means to try and educate people on what wonderful, misunderstood pets they were. And for those feeling the need to shiver, cringe and begin "their" stories...I'd just stop them short and say "and I don't want to hear any horror stories either, thank you".

I carry pictures of my rats around with me in my purse...when someone makes some wize crack about "oh gross" or "do they bite"? "are they dirty"? I show them a pic like this:

Nina.jpg

V1.jpg

Now that I have bunnies to (as well as a cat and dog). People that know me just understand really. People that don't know me, still head straight for the rat comments as apparently, bunnies are quite a bit more "normal" than rats. :cool:

I tell people I am practicing becoming one of those old ladies we call CAT LADIES who have like a zillion cats living with them! :shhhh:I'll just have bunnies!

I get asked things a lot - like in the grocery I always want paper bags - and recently the guy bagging asked if I brought them back (they have a nickle per bag redeeming thing) and I said no.... "I let my rabbits play in them." He looked sort of lost and trying to figure it all out. LOL!

My niece was teasing me about having my THREE rabbits - I know they all think I'm goofy but hey, like someone said on here...... they bring me so much happiness. I think my sis inlaw realized why when she was here one day and held Bo. She said "I could just go home and curl up with him!" I said "Yeah, he's very relaxing to me when I hold him." and he really is. All of them are - well, not Clover but she is my cardio-workout-bunny! ;)

We had rats (they don't live very long :( ) and people really freak over that in the country - rats and barns = EWwwww So I loved to freak everyone out with them! :biggrin2:

i am a small animal and bird groomer, at a local pet shop, and people alwaya ask me what kind of animal i have, and i say... Witha smile from ear to ear

2 macaws, Scarlet, and B&G
a yellow naped amazon
a quaker parakeet
2 parakeets
2 cockatiels
a chinchilla
a Veiled chameleon
a great dane
2 buns, a dwarf and a giant
2 frogs
a beta fish

and a partridge in a pear tree.. (not really) LOL

and they say..

WAAAAAHTTTT? with there jaw hanging...

IN the HOUSE!?????

Well i live there why shouldnt they!

im in a colder part of the country, we have pretty harsh winters... and hot summers, so no pet of mine would be made to be some where un heated or air conditiond!

there my kids! and i love them!

and ill never have to pay for them to go off to college! LOL

We are down a couple of animals and our horses (kota and pokie) live across the road at the sis inlaws, but everyone wants to know how big our farm is - LOL! I live on 3/4 acre.

3 sheep

2 dogs

1 cat

3 rabbits

1 dove

2 horses

Harvey and Sam.....your ratlets are gorgeous :biggrin2:!

I have two males myself...they currently do NOT get along and I am starting to think that they may never get along, no matter how much intro's I have been doing!

Have you considered neutering? It works quite well!

Ivory wrote:
Have you considered neutering? It works quite well!

Neutering in rats scares the junk out of me. I have heard so many cases of rats going in for a neuter and never returning home :(.

Really? It's actually a really easy surgery- literally the same thing as neutering a dog, just on a smaller animal. Same surgical technique.

I think it'd be more the anesthesia.

Then again neutering rats isn't very common, but I've seen it done before.

Anyways, that being said, it usually works with fighting, but I understand the fears behind it. Unfortunately small exotic animal medicine is still working it's way up to the level of small mammal/farm animals.

Ivory wrote:
I think it'd be more the anesthesia.
Yep, that is why I am too scared. It has been done successfully and tumors have been removed successfully, but I am just afraid. I would rather have two ratties living alone and getting human attention, then risking death under anesthetic.

How long should rats live? We've had several and when I was a kid mine lived like 4 or 5 years. We get a year or 2 at most now. What's the deal?

Back