How do I know when he's done choking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's not eating sufficient amounts or at all on his own, then it is needed. If you can't pick up some Critical Care feeding mix from a vet more local to you today, your buns pellets can be soaked in warm water and made into a mush to syringe feed. But you'll need a wide tip oral syringe so it doesn't clog. There's medicating and syringe feeding info in this link.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Medicating_your_rabbit
If you feel that your bun does need nebulizing, especially if respiratory difficulties increase, you should be able to phone your vet and ask them to call a prescription in for you to pick up. If the vet said you needed to nebulize, they should have already done that for you. There's also nebulizing info in the above link.

If he's not to the point of mouth breathing, there is definitely hope he'll recover, but you do have to keep him medicated and fed for him to have a chance. With syringe feeding, insert the tip into the side of the mouth, and make sure to go slow, small amounts, giving him time to swallow.

Did you find out the name of the antibiotic?

Poor little guy. He probably needs oxygen, IV antibiotics and fluids, anti inflammatories, and to be nebulized there at the vet. I hope he's going to be ok.

I'm sorry for you loss.

Is this a risk that oats pose to rabbits (the choking) or is this just a freak accident that could have been caused by anything?

Back