How do I know when he's done choking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeast

Reaction score
5 week old dwarf, started making a retching noise and mucous coming out after eating a little oats.

I swing him hard while hold his head and got a little bit of oat out the nose. He can breathe I think but it's only been a few minutes. How will I know if I'm done with the heimlich?

I'd like to go to a vet but I'm in Los Angeles and there are no vets for whatever reason

I'm swinging as hard as I can and getting nothing out. He's able to breathe. Is it over?

DO NOT keep swinging him if he is able to breath again. It's only an emergency action to clear the airway so they can breath. Performing the maneuver carries risks(even when done properly) so should be stopped immediately when breathing resumes.

You'll want to get your bun into the vet within the next day if at all possible, as choking carries a high risk of aspiration developing into pneumonia. So your bun will likely need to be put on antibiotics to prevent this. If you absolutely can't get your bun seen in the next few days, I suggest keeping a very close eye for any signs of noisy breathing, mouth breathing, any other signs of respiratory difficulty, lack of appetite, and/or any other unusual changes of behavior, as this could mean your rabbit has pneumonia and needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

I would also advise to stop feeding oats.

I'm really glad you were able to clear the obstruction and your bun is alright.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable. He's pretty shook up and just standing still now. Breathing seems ok.

If he's wheezing, he could have aspirated fluid and food particles, or he still has a partial obstruction, which isn't something you'll be able to clear. It will either clear on it's own, or it could lead to further complications. If this is a knowledgeable rabbit vet and you can get there, I would try and do it.

Alright thanks. Yeah he's still breathing but some mucous and it's been a few hours since onset. At vet now. Sounds like not much to do.

If you're still there, I would make sure to be sent home with an appropriate rabbit safe antibiotic like smz/tmp. You may also need syringe feeding mix if he stops eating and meloxicam for inflammation. I hope he's going to be alright and the vet gives the help you need for him.

The vet is being real aggressive. Got him an x-ray. Waiting around now.

I assume I'll just go home with antibiotics at the end.

That's really good the vet is doing that. There have been owners that have been sent home after their rabbit choked, and the vets weren't aggressive enough and didn't prescribe antibiotics, and the outcome wasn't good. Aspiration pneumonia is extremely serious and advances very quickly once it sets in. It's best to presume it's occurred in a serious choking episode, and treat accordingly.

They said steroids could make it worse.

That's correct. It can weaken the rabbits immune system.

If you need an anti inflammatory, I mentioned meloxicam in my post above. It's what is usually prescribed to rabbits for mild to moderate pain and inflammation.

What antibiotic did they prescribe? Just wondering what their choice of abx is for a baby rabbit.

Vet said I should nebulize him but CVS said I need a prescription for that and I don't have one.

Bunny's refusing his medicine to. Also, he's only 5 weeks old won't antibiotics interfere with gut flora?

Starting to think this bunny doesn't have much hope.

Any gastric distress that may come from antibiotic treatment is better than not treating the pneumonia.

They didn't give syringe feeding mix. Said it would not be needed.

X-rays from this afternoon attached. I don't know, maybe the lungs are so obviously shot that they didn't think it'd matter?

Attachments

• I00042818385.jpg
    I00042818385.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 6
  • I00042818384.jpg
    I00042818384.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
  • I00042818383.jpg
    I00042818383.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 6
Back