How do i know the mother is feeding her babys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t00l

Reaction score
She never go's in the nest box with her litter , I have never seen her in there shes always in her litter box or ontop of the nestbox. This is her first litter and the first time i seen a rabbit never go in the box at all. If i take the mom out and flip her on her belly, the babys will try and feed.. Does that mean shes not feeding them because they are hungry all the time or ?

A lot of times you won't see a rabbit feed as they tend to feed very early morning and then late at night. As long as the babies have nice round tummies then they are getting a feed.
Some does do not like to feed when people are around.

When you look at the babies, are the bellies round? Like they swallowed a ping pong ball?

If they are not being fed, they will be all wrinkled and shrivelled.

Can you post pictures of the babies? Most of the time, from looking at a picture, you can tell if the babies are being fed.

It is very normal to never see mom in the nest with the babies. It only takes about 5 minutes to feed and clean the babies, so she will hop in and out in no time. She is probably waiting until no one is around so she feels safe.

The babies should try to feed when placed near mom's nipples. They are greedy little buggers.

Also, if you stick you hand in the nest, the babies should have lots of energy and start jumping around like little jumping beans. If they have lots of energy, then they should be getting enough food.

--Dawn

Like Aurora said, ping pong bellies and fat babies are fed bunnies. You can make the bunnies nurse off their mom if they're not nursing by holding her still and putting the babies on her nipples.

You can always post photo's of the babies on here and we'd be HAPPY to assess them! LOL! If they were not getting fed, they would be shriveled and weak, within 48 hours you would know something is wrong. If their skin looks smooth and their fur is coming in, they are being well cared for.

I almost never saw my does nurse either. Rabbits tend to like privacy to do things like that. How old are the babies? If they are more than two days old, then they have to be getting fed or they would have died by now.

Yes we would all love to access the looks of the babies. I've only had a few does that have fed their babies while I was present(my mini rex and her mother while she was boarded with me) one holland doe let me once watch her, and my momma blue doe has let me a few times. The rest of my mommy's have not.

Yea, Sorry I have been busy with the little guy's I will get pictures up later tonight. It turns out she would feed them one night, and forget the next. It is her first time but she did a really wonderfull job. Currently I still take her out and flip her on her belly and let them eat atleast once a day though. Right now there eyes opened up about 3 days ago, and currently they are running around on my floor behind me having a ball... She had a total of 6 bunnies, but one died... They are all really cute

Latest posts

Back