How did your rabbit get it's name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with the word rabbit and removed the t.

to be honest i didn't think we would keep her very long but she ended up staying. that's why we didn't think of a more intricate name haha

Ooooh I wish I could say I have a clever story for Harvey's name but it's really cause I couldn't think of anything else. My friend was calling him Thumper, which every other rabbit is called. Instead he's called Harvey, which ironically every other rabbit is also called, but it sounds better than Thumper. Plus I like Jimmy Stewart. I used to watch his old films with my mom while I was growing up. (I should watch Harvey again)

I tried different names while driving him home for the first time. But Harvey just fit. He's Harvey.

Sweetie's name came from her being so sweet when I got her at 6 weeks old. She licked me and ate out of my hand. I thought that it was so sweet, so I named her Sweetie.

For Prince, it was that I was going to get a female rabbit and I have decided on the name Princess. When I found out that I had a boy I just shortened the name to Prince.

Pudden, just came to me with that name and he is used to it so I just kept the name. Because I called him to me and he came when I called his name.

When I was waiting to hear back from Toby's old owners, I started looking up old man names because buns always have such grumpy looking faces... I figured an old man name would suit him best. His name was initially Thumper which just didn't sit quite right with me.

I had a bunch of names picked out, some were Frederick, Edgar, Harvey, Chester, Archimedes (the owl from Sword and the Stone)... Tobias was obviously one of them too.

I brought him home and had him out exploring the house and he just looked like a Tobias (Toby) to me, so it stuck. He's now Toberoo, Toberpoo, Tobester and whatever else I can think of.

Right now I've just got 7 bunnies, so I'll name who I've got now:

BC's Dusty Summer Lane - His litter and his half-sib's litter were rodeo/country themed names. This is more country than rodeo, but it's cute! We call him Dusty or Dusters.

BC's 8 Seconds - Rodeo name again! Full brother to Dusty. We call him Second. lol. He's a little ham. He was named pretty quick since 8 seconds is easily recognizable with most rodeo stuff.

BC's Dakota - Half-sib to the boys above. Her siblings were Cowboy and Dixie-Belle, so we kind of went with a southern/country theme with that litter. We've had a Dakota or two in the past, but since their ears numbers are all different it works.

BSA's Kailua - Her litter was beach/water themed names! Kailua I do believe is a beach somewhere? Can't remember. My sister named her. We call her Kai or Kai-Kai.

Then we also have Bria. She was a Beethoven until I found out she wasn't a he! I just swapped it quick to Bria with the intention of changing it later, but it's stuck! My sister has tried getting me to switch it to something that starts with a Z, but I haven't budged yet. lol.

Kaelum. The latest addition. Went back and forth, back and forth between LOTS of names. Most popular was Codak/Cody and a handful that I can't remember! Lol. I opened my sister's name book and saw Kaelum, although spelled differently, and fell in love with it. For a few days I wasn't sure about it, and thought about changing it, but now it's stuck and fits him perfectly! I love it because it's unique and different. My friends have a hard time remembering/spelling it. lol.

ETA: Missed Phalix! Phalix was a Tommy at first, but it didn't fit. A lady I used to work for (well, actually I think of her more like my other grandmother! We're good friends, lol!) had a cat named Phalix and I really loved the name. It took my sister some convincing to name him that, but she agreed and she can't believe we called him Tommy at first! Phalix definitely fits him.

Emily

I came up with Layla.. it was a name I wanted for a dog. Didn't get it from any source that I consciously know of. Looking it up now, Layla means "dark beauty" which would work better if she wasn't a broken black tort.. but oh well.. I liked the name before I knew what it meant :D

My last female broken holland lop was Lexi, and the other Charlie. Thatcher and Mac were my boys. Mac came with the name Max and Thatcher was a shelter rabbit and I liked the name from Grey's Anatomy (not as much as the character though). I seem to give my rabbits human names! :)

And not to be a grammar nazi or rude to anyone, but the title of this thread should be "its name", not "it's name".. Those kinds of things bug me >.<

Tiberius got his name because I am a Trekkie and all my animals are named after my favorite things. Tiberius is the middle name of Captain Kirk (Captain James Tiberius Kirk), Tiberius brother name was Jean-Luc Picard. :D

Rorschach is named for the character from the Watchmen graphic novel. I keep wanting to make him a little fedora and trench coat, but then I get lazy.

His middle name is Lucky, after his son (Lucky Bun-bun) who died shortly after we got him.

Unfortunately, I have developed a habit of saying, "Who's a handsome boy?!" when he comes scrambling up to me for treats... so now he responds more to "Handsome" than to anything.

I'm terrible at thinking of names for animals because I usually end up calling them something else along the way.

I originally named her Nagasaki because I liked the sound of it, but I soon thought it was stupid, and I never once called her that, so I referred to her as rabbit or bun. I think bun sort of transformed into Bean, so her name is Bean now. :D

Luna was named when we got her. Knit was just Knit the second we saw her, not a clue why. But Goliath... oh he's a funny story.

He didn't start out as Goliath, he was Hunni. Hunni Montgomery Bunny. When we got him we were told he was a girl, but over the summer i panicked because he had these two huge masses on his but and oh my god, i was so worried and we rushed him to the vet, but they said, "Well, Ms. Hunni bunny is actually MISTER Hunni bunny!" So we had to change his name to something more manly. So Goliath it is.

Ahaha yes! I love the names Bert and Ernie! That's awesome. :)

Holly was my GF's stage name, and when I moved out here I missed her awfully and when I brought home Holly she became Holly, though we had a lot of other names floating around initially but I kept going back to Holly. She was also named in part for Holly Madison.

When we brought home our old man bunny a little while later, he came with the name Smokey... And I just couldn't in good conscience let that continue so we renamed him Hugh, after Hugh Hefner. And yes the running joke is that if we ever get any more rabbits they'd have to be named Bridget and Kendra. :p

When Rocky was very small I thought he looked a lot like Rocky from Rocky and Bullwinkle lol

I debated over it and then one day I was refilling his bedding and saw that the brand was 'Rocky point mulching co.' so it was a sign that I got it right.

If I get another bun I might name him Bullwinkle haha

Buttercup is the color of butter, so we originally decided to name her butter (even got a name plate for her that said "Butter"). But the next morning we realized that adding a "cup" just makes it sound so much more cute :D. Now there is a small "cup" scribbled at the bottom of her nameplate.

Latest posts

Back