How did your rabbit get it's name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittanyandFruFru

Reaction score
So Everyone, how did your rabbit get his/her name?

Here's mine....

When I was a child my grandmother used to sing the song "Little Bunny Foo Foo" to me but she pronounced it Fru Fru. Many years later I brought my rabbit home and wanted to get to know him a bit before giving him a definite name, so while my roommate and I were deciding on his name we started calling him Fru Fru when we need his attention, almost as a alternative to calling him "the rabbit" all the time. So as time went on Fru Fru just stuck and we never came up with another name. I shortened it to Fru later.

The last bunny we had was named Nickolas because my grandkids were so into Peter Rabbit video series. When he passed away his best friend came to live with us, Benjamin. In the past we have had Thumper, Snuggles, Timmy, Bailey ( bad,bad beatle Bailey ) all of which have been named after being with us a short period of time. Kind of like choosing a kids name.

Cinder was originally named Cinderblock by my son, he told me it was a japananime character, when he decided she was too messy and nipped too much I took her and shortened it to Cinder. My son also named my newest bunny Roger, Roger's nickname is Ra-Ra Raj. It just kept coming out. All my animals have nicknames I also own 6 cats.

Rebecca got her name because I always loved the name and she was such a feminine little girl. :)

Cinderella came with her name from the shelter. It fit because she had been in there for 4 years and now she had tons of space, a mate, yummies, and lots of love. :biggrin2:

Houdini got his name because it took a lot to out smart him and keep him in any space. There were times I couldn't figure out HOW he got where he was. :?

Indiana Bunns (RIP) had the name Elvis, but I previously had a cat named Elvis so the name made me sad. Indy had a very rough life so I thought that would be like adventures. In the last Indiana Jones movie, Indy has an eye patch in one scene. My Indy had to have an eye removed and the fur happened to be black over that eye (he was black and white splotches) so it looked like he had an eye patch. :innocent

Ghirardelli got his name because he has all three kinds of chocoalte coloring. His tummy is creamy white, main body like milk chocolate, and a dusting of dark chocolate on top. Plus he is super sweet. :p

Before I visited the shelter I picked out many names in case I didn't like the name the shelter or the original owner had given him or her. Once I had Honey for a couple days I realized I was going to refer to her as Honey even if I gave her another name, so Honey became her name. The surname, Hoppins, came to me a day or 2 later.

Q-tip was tiny and solid white when I got her. And her ears were HUGE. She was almost named Pat Bunnatar or Rabbitclyffe Hall, but her other mommy didn't agree. Q-tip fit her really well.
However, she's no longer a white rabbit. She's gray, brown, and white. But she knows her name. I'll often call her Tippy or Tipster....both of which she also knows and responds to.

My daughter named Scamper cause he scampers across her room. Told my DD she had to wait till she found a good name for him cause we couldn't change it. He had a close call with Mr. Carrots :expressionless

My first rabbit was named Scone by my son, who said he wanted a Scottish name but was reserving "Haggis" for the sheep he wanted someday (didn't make sense to me, either). With a Scottish first name, I felt he needed a Scottish surname, and MacBunny was perfect.

My current bunny was named "Natasha" when she came to live with me, perhaps because of her black fur (think of Natasha from the old "Boris and Natasha" cartoons). Again, I picked a surname which matched the national origin of the given name, Russian in this case, and so she became "Natasha Rabbitova".

Mike, your bunnies have the cutest names and you're such a good bunny dad!

My first bunny, Cinnabun, got his name because we love Cinnabon cinnamon rolls and my parents were considering purchasing a franchise at the time. I was 10 when I came up with the name and thought it was utterly brilliant at the time :D

Rory (aka Rhiordan) was named about 6 years before I got him. I saw one of those plastic signs people stick in the ground advertising some politician whose last name was Rhiordan and I thought Rhiordan with Rory for short was the perfect bunny name. Rory's name is still my favorite.

Tallulah was so named because it's a cute name and is Irish like Rhiordan. It means "princess" and went along with the meaning of Rhiordan which is "little poet king".

Skyler was named that because we thought it fit him and he flew to us on an airplane so it seemed to fit. He was a really tough bunny to name though, it took months! We knew we were getting him about 2 months before he came home and it took that entire time plus an additional month after we got him to name him. Whew. The problem was that he looked like an Ari to me but I didn't want a Rory and an Ari. About a year after we got him I ran across the name Cael which is also Irish and it would have been perfect for him but it was too late at that point. Oh well :)

Phoebe Mae took about a week to name. We got her after Tallulah died and I was still quite heartbroken. Phoebe is another name of Artemis who is the goddess of the moon in Greek mythology. I've always thought it looked like there was a bunny on the moon and after Tallulah died, I liked to look up at the moon and think of her. The Mae is because Tallulah's nickname was Maemae, which is what I called her 90% of the time.

Ned was hard to name too. The shelter named him Giovanni and his temporary (as in 1 week) home before us named him VanGogh. He was briefly named Paxton but we changed it to Ned about a week later. It's inspired by the character from the show Pushing Daisies. I love Ned's name and it fits him to a tee.

Kerensa was named about six months before we got her. My husband agreed we could get another Holland Lop (Tallulah was a Holland Lop) and we knew we wanted a girl so I started looking at names. Kerensa means "love" and I immediately knew it was perfect. When we saw our baby at the fair I knew it was our Kerensa!

Maximus was named after the adorable horse from the movie Tangled. Plus he was so teeny tiny when we got him and we thought it was funny to have such a little bunny named Maximus.

Mabel was named after a friend of my mother-in-law whose name is Mabel Hopp. She gave us permission to use her name. I also picked it because it has Mae in it. We call her by her nickname Macie about half the time and Mabel the other half of the time. Macie is after a darling bunny whose owner used to post here.

Isabelle (Siamese Sable Netherland Dwarf) we named after having her for awhile and realized that she was such a dainty, feminine little girl that deserved a dainty, feminine, super girly name. (She was originally named Squirrel and we knew that had to change, stat, LOL.)

Let's see...Finnigan (sable point Netherland Dwarf) was named that by his original breeder and we liked it, but he answers to Finn too.

Jeffrey (blue Netherland Dwarf) was named by my husband, completely randomly. One day he just went to go catch the bunny from his out time and he says "the name Jeffrey just flew out of my mouth". Except it should be noted that it is pronounced strictly like Jeff-REH! in a little kid cuddle voice, LOL. (This from the husband who said no, no bunnies, no bunnies at all.)

Holstein (broken black Polish) I named because of his black and white spots...we had another broken black that was named Moo, and his son was Moo Too, so I hoped to get a little more creative this time around. I love Holstein's name myself, always makes me laugh, hah.

Cinna Bun (chocolate Polish) I named as a "tribute" of sorts to the character of Cinna in The Hunger Games trilogy, of which I am a huge gigangic fan. Plus it worked for her sweet cinnamon coloring.

Lil' Dude (tricolor Holland Lop) came to us named that way and it fits--he is really small for a Holland, with a huge personality. So outgoing, he would totally be the popular dude in school.

Marmalade (orange Holland Lop) was named by my Dad, who was the chauffer going around and picking up all these bunnies all over the state for me. Dad loves his Seville orange marmalade so it was an easy choice for him...

Fizzing Whizbee (harlequin Holland Lop) is nicknamed Fizzy Whizzy and named for the candy in the Harry Potter series. I am a huge, huge, HUGE Potterhead. She fizzes all over the place, that bunny, but I mostly just love the name from HP.

Chesty (black silver marten Netherland Dwarf) is named after Chesty Puller, the most decorate Marine in history. I had to pay homage to my husband, who is a Marine. (HOORAH!) Plus, Chesty is a Holland Netherland Dwarf so he is very blocky and solidly built. Looked like a very sturdy bunny, haha.

Cameo (chestnut Netherland Dwarf) came named to us that way and we decided not to change it. It's a sweet name, but not one that I would have picked. But we like it enough, although I always call her Miss Cameo.

Tillie (black tort Netherland Dwarf) was also named by her original breeder, whose rabbitry name is Tigerlily, so she was trying to work that in somehow.

Naming things is sooooo much fun and I LOVE hearing about how everyone got their names!

The day we brought Fraggles home Jason and I were getting ready for bed and Fraggles was playing in our blankets (4 1/2 weeks old. bless her) We were discussing what to call her and Jason said "moth monster man" I reminded him that he is saving that for a human baby (if we ever have one lol) Then he turned on the t.v and Fraggle rock was on. We wanted to name her after one of the Fraggles so Jason googled "Fraggles" and found out it means "silly little creature" So now Jason has a great time telling random people that we have Fraggles in our house or we live with Fraggles :)

We named our bunny Nibbles because...you guessed it...he nibbles on EVERYTHING! Almost before he'll sniff something new, he's trying to nibble on it. We'd love to take him out and let him be a free range house bunny, but I'm pretty sure our carpets and wooden furniture would be ruined in no time!

Korr: I used to play neopets and adopted one named Korrailli. I though it would be a good name for a rabbit. His full name is Korrailli.

Sophie: She took around 2 weeks to name. The movie The Illusionist had come out that summer and one of the characters is Sophie. There is one line where the name is said that I really love.

Penelope: She was named after the Great Big Sea song.

Sean: Named after Sean McCann of Great Big Sea.

Lillian: I just liked the name.

Ginny: After the Harry Potter character due to her red fur.

Amelia: I was watching Dr. Who the day after I got her and Amy Pond was the companion at the time. I thought the name suited her.

Tesla: Once I decided I wanted a Tan, I came up with the name Tesla (I wanted a buck). The name is from Sanctuary and the character there seems to go well with a tan.

Kraken: At one hopping event, Amanda was saying how she would like to name a rabbit Kraken so she can say 'Release the Kraken'. I pretty much stole the name.

Pembrooke was named by the SPCa, she was found running loose on Pembroke Street. The name suit her so I kept it but to make it her own added an extra "O".
All my friends want me to call her "Cookie". I'm not.

Jj

MiniLopHop-
She's heard the dirty Q-tip quip several times now. She turns up her nose and makes a displeased face every time. She told me to tell you (and everyone else) that she gives herself three full baths a day thankyouverymuch!

Silly wabbit. Thankfully she'll respond to fluffersnuffer.

Minerva...because I'm a complete harry potter dork:)

I call her minnie for short!

2 characters from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back