how did you rabbit proof?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12lawliet12Snickers, Truffle

Reaction score
I'm looking for multiple ways to rabbit proof my bedroom and bathroom. So far, to protect my cords, I've bought aquarium gravel vacuums and cut open the tubes from them and put my cords in them, I've moved my extension cord with my phone charger, heating pad, iPod charger, and electric blanket plugged into it onto my bed, and I've hooked cords up on the curtain holder to get them out of the way. To protect my walls, I've sprayed them with bitter apple spray and vinegar, and to protect the underside of my bed, bedside table, and dresser I've put up a little fence that Kmart sells for $7 for 25 feet. What do all of you guys do to bunny proof?

IMG_20121216_024741_756.jpg

IMG_20121216_024550_435.jpg

IMG_20121216_024650_272.jpg

IMG_20121216_024443_826.jpg

Also, please pay no attention to the ugly 70's tile and school/office carpet. I just ripped up the carpet that was in there before and that hideous tile was under it, and until I can put new tile down, I'm covering it with something slightly better. And please don't mind the mouse tank, I'm going to clean it tomorrow.

Hi Jennifer, welcome to my world lol.

I think that one of mine, Houdini´s mission in life is to find any weak points in my rabbit proofing and I can tell you, he has found a few.

I have any cables at floor level in plastic tubing which he can plays and nip at but can´t get through.

I tried with the walls but haven´t found anything that keeps Bandy from chewing one point so I just have to keep my ears open as you can hear him behind the sofa and just tell him off. It is working as he does it less and less now. Same with the little rugs I have in their enclosure. Some of them, they like to destroy bit by bit, don´t really mind about that as I usually buy them from the charity shop so they´re dirt cheap. I do tell them off and they know they shouldn´t but still do.

On Friday, I finally bought a cordless phone which I now have moved to the bedroom. That was the major sore point for me, they´ve gone through five connector cables for the phone wherever I put them and they are quite inventive and they´ve also chewed through 4 phone charger cables (I now charge that in the bedroom as well) and their favourite piece of furniture now is my china cabinet which they have nibbled round the bottom. I have sprayed with vinegar and have put some toys on either side so they can´t chew it at the moment. However, they like to chew underneath it so I am looking for something at the moment to put under there so they can´t access it.

They sound like little rascals but, on the whole, they are now quite good little buns who spend hours free in the living room and have lots of toys and other things to keep them occupied. They have soft toys and cushions to play with on the sofa as they love digging and they have loads of cardboard and wood to chew on as well. When I first let them out, I always put a nice long apple twig on the floor so that they can go and chew whenever they want, they always share it. So, I think, the trick is to give them lots of other things to occupy their time so they won´t be tempted to chew the good stuff. Having said that, there´s nothing so tempting as forbidden fruit...be prepared for that, once in a while.

Sorry to ramble but hope you are successful and would to see them in there once it´s ready.

The only things I have left to bunny proof are my lounge chair, my cutting table, and the little table I keep my dustpan on. They like to nibble on the fabric underside of my lounge chair, same with the plastic risers on my cutting table. The dustpan table is cherry, so Snickers especially likes to nibble on it. I've sprayed it with bitter apple, but that seems to only work on the walls. I've heard that ivory soap works?

I have used ivory soap on my ding table legs and chairs - the bunnies hadn't chewed them before but didn't want to take the chance so put some on there - they are still chew free! I also have a big tv unit on the wall with lots shelves attached - i used the soap on the bottom of that where they could reach and that remains unchewed too!

My Crumble always finds the weak points in the bunny proofing (keeping them away from the Christmas tree is the latest mission) so I am always trying new things and changing things around, i use a lot of cardboard boxes to block up behind the sofas & other places i don't want them to go!

Also, instead of tubing for some of my wires we cut some cardboard and put that around the wires up the wall & taped it - they dont chew it alot so we dont have to replace it that often, so it works for me.

Good luck with your bunny proofing!

I´m going have to do some investigating on the internet as not sure what ivory soap would be called over here. I also used some cardboard tubes from the kitchen roll to cover the upper part of cables and they haven´t touched them so far.

I don´t have a Christmas tree up this year so I´m saving having to bunny proof that. But I posted on another thread this picture as I saw it in a department store and thought it might be a good idea for some of you as if they chew the bottom, it won´t matter. It´s a wicker basket with bottom removed and turned upside down. I really like it.

I am also getting really inventive with cardboard boxes and cardboard tubes. It´s an ongoing mission to keep everything safe from sharp teeth lol

2012-12-14192320_zps5f6b77fa.jpg

:happyrabbit:

Thanks for that Jennifer, I´ll go out tomorrow and see if I can find something...hopefully it will work :spintongue

I have a desktop computer, and I actually don't have a desk right now. I use my coffee table as my desk, which is where the rabbits are free to roam when I'm home. I have my computer tower inside a box, and I have all the cords on top. Stitch has chewed through a few mouse cords because I get careless and they start hanging right in front of his face. lol. Hasn't happened in quite some time though(yes, I have a cordless but it stopped working correctly so I've just been buying cheap mice).

I basically gave the couch to them. I didn't even bother trying to stop them, which may not be the best approach, but I wasn't really aware of the damage that they could cause when I first got Stitch. He mainly chewed on the back of it, and I didn't even realize it for a while. I've added one of those tubes behind my couch, so they don't chew on it as much anymore and prefer to lay in the tube rather than under the couch.

I did buy cheap carpet squares for 2 bucks that were being sold as rugs at Big Lots to put on fun digging spots. lol. I've stuck pillows/blankets/stuffed animals on the side of my entertainment center. They sometimes start digging at the towel, but only when I'm looking. They haven't done any damage to it. I do have a floor lamp and have just put tape around the cord. It's still in tact! lol.

Whenever I catch them chewing on my baseboards, I spray a mix of water and vinegar.

Last edited:
Hi there! The aquarium vacuum tubing you used can also be purchased very cheaply at any home improvement store. I got some at Lowes -- they sell it by the foot and comes in various thicknesses.

I took some photos of some bunny proofing I did awhile back. I'll see if I can post attach it here.

16589_211940_070000000.jpg

16589_211940_070000001.jpg

To bunny proof my bedroom in my apt in Brenham I used NIC pannels to go all the way around the bed so that they could not go under there and cause trouble. I also got this tubbing (or something like it) to go around cords. I slit it lengthwise with a box cutter (be VERY careful when you do this). For areas where there are lots of cords or areas I do not want the bunnies getting into I use NIC pannels (sometime in conjunction with buckets or trash cans).

Latest posts

Back