How did you come up with your rabbit's names?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reuben came with his name. Nermal was Katie's influence, and yup, named after Nermal from Garfield.

Harper is named after Harper Lee, and her sister was Bronte. Sphynx came named, Phoenix was originally Median, but I didn't like that, and mum suggested Phoenix. Mum also named Ira, and I'd had 'Layla' stuck in my head for ages, or should I say, the song was always on my mind, lol. I dabbed with the spelling for awhile, and ended up with Leila. I named Vashti and Levi because I liked the names.

I named Pearlite, because...heck, I'm an engineer, why not? lol. (google it). I also named her two tom cat suitors Austenite, and Ferrite; Ferrite was feral, and Austenite was grey. Pearly's original name was Hypo, which is wrong anyway, it should have been Hyper.

Mum named her daughter, Myla, which doesn't match, but better than the original name: 'Boots'.

Those are all I had influence over. Way too long to name the rest.

Well when I first adopted my new rabbit we were under the impression he was a SHE(I'm still learning how to sex young animals)so when named 'her' Scarlett. After awhile we decided to get 'her' a playmate since we were busy with finals. So we bought a female companion and 'she' turned into a 'he' and started humping the traumatized female. We took the female back and somehow ended up with another male in the panic. They're kept separate until we can get the newer one fixed. Since we now had two boys is named my new one Bambi and renamed Scarlett as Alfie but no one liked those names so my dad came up with Lewis and Clark! That's what we've called them ever since! Lewis responds immediately to his name now. I think I broke Clark though...(sometimes he answers only to Alfie other times only Scarlett but mostly he responds to Clark)

Most of our names come from literature,TV, and movies. Commander Bun-Bun from the "Drew Carey Show", Hutch from "Curse of the Were Rabbit". Then some just because I like to play with the language--I had a Beta named Alpha, of course. One of our dogs was "Dogzilla" and unfortunately lived up to his name--we used to refer to him as "our canine terrorist". If he could fit his mouth on it, that meant it was chewable.

She-Who-Loves-Me calls me Skyler. She says that when the sky was falling, I’m the piece she caught. We met in a concrete warehouse on a cold and cloudy January afternoon. I was one of a hundred fifty-seven rabbits who were seized from a backyard rabbit breeder. I’m a purebred American Fuzzy Lop rabbit. But being a purebred is no guarantee of an easy life, especially if you’re one in a hundred fifty-seven.

The seizure was made after the breeder’s neighbors realized that the breeder hadn’t been around in a while. We were starving, dehydrated, filthy, and many of us were very ill and/or wounded. All of us were traumatized. So, the rescue crew packed us up into a bunch of dog crates and carried us to the warehouse. Up until that time, I didn’t know there was any other place except the breeder’s hutches. I wasn’t scared… I was terrified.

The warehouse was cold. There were multiple rabbits in each cage, segregated by the “best guess” at the gender. I was in a cage with another rabbit, a real bully. You may think that cute fluffy rabbits get along with everyone, but you’d be wrong. Rabbits have a very strict hierarchical society. Older, stronger rabbits stake out their territory and make sure the younger or weaker rabbits do not intrude. Rabbits defend their territory with teeth and claws and blood will flow. I was neither the older nor the stronger and the bites through my ears, the scabs on my back, the hunks of missing fur, and the split upper eyelid proved that. I was a pretty sorry site.

The bully rabbit was having some fun with me. I tried to burrow down into the straw covering the floor of the cage. I thought maybe if I could just dig deep enough, the bully wouldn’t be able to get to me. I was wrong. The bully leapt onto my back and sank his razor teeth into me. I was trying to dig away from him, but he held on until a hand reached into the cage and scared him off. The same hand scooped me out of that cage.

I had been so terrified for so long, I was about ready to just give up. I was tired of having to fight the other rabbits for every mouthful of food and every lick of water. I couldn’t sleep because I never knew when a bully rabbit would attack me. My whole body hurt from the bites and scratches. And, from hunger. The only comfort I could remember ever receiving was when my mother would nuzzle me and I was taken from her more than a year earlier. I thought that if this is the end of me, just let it come quick.

She held me close while another person put some ointment on my scabbed ears. And, She talked quietly, rubbing my nose. She cradled me in her arms for a while after that. I expressed my gratitude the only way I knew how, I licked her neck a few times. Then, She put me in a smaller cage with clean straw, food, and water. I was alone in the cage. No other rabbit was in there with me. I had never had a whole cage all to myself. I was still terrified, but at least I didn’t have to deal with bully rabbits, now. I could eat and drink my fill. I didn’t know how long it would last, but I was determined to make the most of it while I could.

For the next few days She would visit with me, talking quietly trying not to scare me. She would make sure my cage was clean and stocked with food and water. She’d put her hand out to me. I really wanted to go to her. I wanted to trust her, but I was too afraid. She seemed to understand.

Some days later, She scooped me out of the cage and put me in a box. I was terrified all over again. Strange noises and smells, weird vibrations and movement. When She finally opened the box and let me out I was in a new place. I didn’t know there were so many places in this world. This one was very different than any I’d seen. It was much bigger than the hutch, but much smaller than the warehouse. I had a two-story condo in which to eat and sleep and a whole room to run in. I’d never had enough room to actually run. My leg muscles were not very strong and it took a while for me to get the hang of it. Now, to me, nothing feels so wonderful as stretching out my legs in a flat-out run, banking my turns, and throwing myself into the air in a flying binky.

About 18 months passed and She would sit on the floor and feed me treats and talk to me, but I still could not make myself trust her. When She was in the room, I’d creep along the walls to get where I was going. If She held out a hand toward me I’d bolt for a hiding place. I knew She wouldn’t hurt me, but I just could not make myself take that final step and trust her.

One day, I wasn’t feeling real good. I didn’t want to eat the treat She offered. I was crouched under her computer table so She crawled under the table, too. Normally, I would have bolted before She got close to me, but I was slow off the mark this time. I was trapped. She put her hand on my head, very lightly, and did the oddest thing. She rubbed my nose very softly with her thumb. Over and over, for a very long time, She-Who-Loves-Me rubbed my nose and spoke softly to me. I was mesmerized. I had not felt this way since my mother had nuzzled me so many years ago. I closed my eyes and understanding flowed into me. “Skyler” really means, “He-Who-Loves-Her”.

Howdy, The rabbits we have now - Bruce was originally named Blondey we thought he was a girl and ash blonde fur THEN we discover she is a he and Bruce sounded strong and fitted his attitude!Phantom is missing a back foot (genetic problems) and still tries to wash it or scratch his ear with his stump so he became Phantom as in phantom limb. Bruce's brother bun -now over the rainbow bridge was called Tiberius after James T Kirk of Star Trek (his middle name) When he was brought home he had no fear ,at everything,escape artist,we use to to say " To boldly go where no Bunny has gone before" It's really hard to name any new pet and Rabbits would be one of the hardest!!:D

IMG_2130.jpg

We currently have 4 bunnies but I have had a total of 5...Gracie, Shadow, Kix, Molly and (R.I.P) Trouble....

Gracie - She came to us already named as she was a 1 yr old when we got her...I thought about renaming her but after watching her I felt that her name fit her well. She is a very graceful and serene bunny.

Shadow - She kinda of picked her own name. My daughter ran through a bunch of names...my husband said "How about the name "Shadow"...she turn around on hopped to him and her name stuck.

Trouble - We brought him home when he was about 3 months old. I set him down and he was constantly getting into trouble...always pushing the limits like a little kid. I miss my little buddy....R.I.P. Trouble

Kix - I brought him home when he was 8 weeks old. It was quite a long ride from the breeders house to my house. I asked my girls what we should name him and wasn't happy with anything they were coming up with...the whole ride home he wasn't happy in the carrier...he wanted to be sitting on my lap while I drove home...When we finally got home I put him down so he could run around and he came and sat by my feet (he could't figure out how to get on the couch yet)...My youngest daughter suggested the name Sidekick...I am a big Brooks & Dunn fan so I called him Kix...Turns out it fits him very well as he is not only my sidekick when I am awake but he also love to kick.

Molly - We brought her home when she was 6 weeks old. She came with the name Mona. I didn't like it at all. She is a beautiful black tort fuzzy lop. Again, we all ran through names and none seemed to fit her. She can be a sweet little bunny but she also very prissy. When my oldest daughter was little her favorite tv show was the Big Comfy Couch. The little girls name is that show was Molly. My daughter said the name Molly and she came to her. So Molly it was...I swear though...her name needs to be princess Molly...She is spoiled rotten and she knows it.

my Harley Quinn was named Cinna at her breeder, but I didn't think it fit, so I thought of Harley Quinn from the batman series, since she looks a bit like a clown with half of her face white, and the rest blue, and she had blue eyes as well
untitled_by_itchys_rats-d67f1l8.jpg

Dobby, well it was either that or Smeagol, and she looks more like a house elf then a twisted creature obsessed with a ring :p

I've also had a Kryptonite,a Molly & an Arnold

Jenny-her name at the shelter was Petra, based on the pics I was going to keep it, but once I met her? it didn't fit at all, it sounded so...harsh.. it just didn't suit her. Jenny was a name my mom just tossed out there and we looked at her and went.."yup..your totally a Jenny."

Peepers- not the most creative...she is a Dwarf Hotot, her eye-liner draws attention to her eyes..AKA her "peepers"

When I first got them Lara was a very adventurous bunny, so the name Lara from Laracroft came to mind, although she is now far from adventurous and is just a big scaredy cat.

Kick has lived up to her name from since day 1. Try to pick her up and she kicks like crazy, and if you restrain her she thumps her feet very loud. Anything she doesn't like she thumps her feet.

I call my Bunnies Autumn and Raven, Autumn is a harlequin colour rabbit the colours reminded me of fall. Raven is total black and since I love Ravens (the bird) I decided to call her that.

Thumper's name was easy. I always loved the rabbit in Bambi, and Thumper was a sweet wiggly lop I found in a petstore. As soon as I set him down in my living room so I could set up his cage, he thumped at me like "Well? Hurry up already!"

Winnie: His name has a bit of a funny history. I got Win when he was 8 weeks old, and obviously it is a little hard to tell what sex a rabbit is when they are young like that. For a while I thought he was female, and so his first name was Ceredwin, or Winnie for short... then his testicles dropped. XD My sweet baby girl was a boy and so his name changed to Winston. I still call him Winnie for short.

We have 6 bunnies our 2 rex girls we got first my daughter named Lisa after a contestant from the big brother show, I named Kitty after my gren because they are both fiesty :0) we have Barney who was named by his last owner and strawberry who was also pre named from a rescue centre and we have two brothers Blackberry named after the fruit and his brother Apple also named after the fruit and yummy apple and blackberry pies :) xxx

Yuki (short for Yukimi, pronounced yoo-kee-mee)- My husband and I both love Japanese names for pets. Yukimi is actually the name of the singer for the band Little Dragon, Yukimi Nagano. We are massive fans of Little Dragon, and of Yukimi herself as an artist and song writer. I had read somewhere that Yukimi means 'snow watching' in Japanese (not sure how true that is). It seemed appropriate as she is a fluffy white lionhead with broken blue markings.
Another reason we chose this name is my parents had a beautiful Alaskan Malamute named Yuki, before I was born. I remember seeing pictures of her as a child and was so enamored with her. So this name just seemed appropriate for the bunny we never intended to adopt...but she captured my heart the moment I saw her!

Usagi (pronounced OO-sah-gee) was named after a Japanese comic book character, a white rabbit named Usagi Yojimbo. Our Usagi is a Dutch, not all white. Usagi means 'rabbit' in Japanese. Can't get much more literal than that!

Well, when I got Flower, it was a really sudden decision. I was showing cows at a fair, and the person who runs the petting zoo always sells rabbits. I really wanted a rabbit ever since my friend had one while I was growing up. He was the sweetest thing c: And when I saw her there, she was so small, and her colouring was a lighter grey than it is now, I just knew I had to have her!

So while we were driving back with her, I was thinking about what to call her. The first name I thought of for a rabbit was Thumper, but it seems like there are too many rabbits named that, and it didn't fit her anyways. Then I thought about what Bambi called the skunk in the film .... Flower. It sounded just too cute, and because I already knew that she was a female, I thought it would be perfect. I did try thinking of other names, but none of them sounded as good as Flower.

At first, her name didn't really flow off my tongue, but after a couple days, it just seemed to sound better.

I think that now though, she has grown into her name quite nicely. She has 'blossomed' as it were; all of her markings and her colour have stopped changing. Although .. I kind of see her as a rose though. She can seem so cute, adorable, pretty, and friendly .... then she'll end up scratching and biting me! XD
But I still love her more than anything in the world!

Other nicknames include: sweets, sweety, babygurl, missy, and my favourite, sweetcheeks.

Sydney came with her name, since she was a rescue bun, and I liked her name so it stuck. However, I did decide to add a middle name and she became Sydney Sue. Over the past 8 years she's acquired many nicknames - Syd, Syde (syd-ee), Syd Sue, Syders, pooh, bugga and for some unknown reason - Fred!

Spike was an adoption, but oddly enough, the previous owner had never named him. So that gave me the option of naming him myself.

I'm a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, so that is where Spike got his name. I also thought it was kind of funny to give such a touch sounding name to such a tiny, gentle bunny. The first time we brought him to the vet, they expected a giant dog or something when we brought him in.

He seems to like his name and where it came from, as he sits and watches Buffy with me (he loves all my sci-fi shows)!

Last edited:
Cheeni means sugar in Hindi and since she is a bright white colour like sugar I thought Cheeni would be fitting :)

Chai..well it is tea and he a nice tan colour mixed with some dark so them being a pair I thought chai and Cheeni would be cute together lolll

Latest posts

Back