How did you come up with your bunny's name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
I just wanted to hear stories about how you decided to name your bunny. I know common names (like George & what not are maybe different but the "non-human" names - how did you come up with it?

I'll start the ball rolling. We got our first lionhead when he was a baby, he's a pointed white - he was supposed to be a she and was named Peaches - after the Mario Bros character that my daughter was really into at the time. After discovering it was a he, I tried to switch his name to something similar "Patches" but my daughter didn't want to switch, so we have a male named Peaches.

Our second baby bunny is also a male lionhead - black otter and he went through the cereal names - Cheerios, frosted flakes, jelly bean. Cheerios sounded weird when you said it out loud to the bunny. He was in his new run when he jumped really high on the spot - looked like someone set a fire cracker under his butt. I said to my daughter "That's not a binky, he looks like a popcorn" the name stuck - so Popcorn it is... Because of his coloring, his legs and feet look like burned popcorn - the name suits him. He's very pop-y

How did your bunnies get their names?

I grew up watching The Muppet Show and am a Jim Henson fan. And big bunnies look like Muppets! :)

My sister came up with the name Benji, and then because I am a huge LOTR fanatic, and my favourite characters are Merry and Pippin, I called my other Pippin. So when they have been naughty they are Benjamin and Peregrin haha.

Jen

Lulu took a really long time to name. I wanted to pick something that my then rooomates liked too. So there were four of us (all of who were very opinionated) trying to decide on one name. There is this coffee place downtown that we all really like and its called "lulu carpenters". She wasnt actually named after the coffee place, but thats sort of what gave us the idea.

Zeppelin was much easier. I love Led Zeppelin and I just thought that "zeppelin" was a cool name. Also, he is sorta zeppelin shaped when hes in a bunny loaf position...hehe.

"Commander Bun-Bun" was cherry-picked from the "Drew Carey Show". Hutch came from the last "Wallace and Grommet movie. Lots of others from literature--Bunnicula from "The Celery Stalks at Midnight". Peter from--you should know! and so on..............

Korr: I used to play neopets and had one name Korrailli (I didn't name it). I though it was a cool name and so gave it to Korr.

Sophie: She was named after the character in The Illusionist.

Penelope: Named after the Great Big Sea song of the same name.

Sean: Named after Sean McCann of Great Big Sea.

Lillian: Named after the song by Jim Filder, that song is for/about his wife. It took about 2 months for me to come up with a suitable name for her.

Ginny: She has red hair so is named after Ginny Weasley of Harry Potter. There is also a song in A Very Potter Musical that suits her.

Amelia: She is named after Amelia Pond from the 5th season of Dr. Who. The day after I brought her home, the episode Vincent and the Doctor was on and the name suited her. That episode quickly became my favourite of the season.

Scone got his first name from my son, who said he wanted a Scottish name and was reserving "Haggis" for his sheep. I know, didn't make sense to me, either. I gave him the last name "MacBunny" because I thought he needed one, and it fit the Scottish theme.

Natasha was already named when she came to live with me, I don't know the origin of the name. Since she had a Russian first name, I decided she needed a Russian last name. It came down to "Bunski" or "Rabbitova", and after I met her, I decided her personality was definitely the latter - so Natasha Rabbitova it was.

when i first got Willow i wanted to name her something girly and cutesy, and since she was grey and incredibly soft she reminded me of a pussywillow, so "willow" it was. as for walter, he reminded me of a grouchy old man, especially with the tuft of hair on the top of his head. Mind you i don't know any grumpy old men named walter, but i sounded good.
downsized_0702001718a.jpg
cc518a2e-703a-4258-9711-ae829fbaaf9e-1.jpg

I wasn't sure what to name my first rabbit, until my roommate suggested Lago (from Lagomorph). I liked it and the name stuck. Panko got his name from his color, which reminds me of the bread crumbs.

When I got my first pet I was very much into Naruto, so I named my cat Temari because I thought it was so beautiful. When I got my first rabbit I figured I would keep the ball rolling and stick with all Naruto names. I had picked out the name Choji but when I got home I said "nope, this guy's a Shino."

My newest rabbit was hard, none of the Naruto names seemed to fit (for a While I thought she was going to be Shizune for sure). Took me almost a week to find a name that suited her. I had friends texting me names for three days straight. Finally my sister suggested Riza from Full metal Alchemist. I looked at her ad said "Riza?", and she perked up those floppy ears of hers. So Riza it was!

Love this question..

I Volunteer at a Rabbit rescue shelter (zoohcorner.org) and any new buns that come into our shelter, the rule is - if your there to receive them you get to name them, you have about an hour to figure it out so I always look for coloring, size, and just something that pops into your brain.. the last one I named Converse MacGyver.

He looked just like my most favorite shelter bun that was named "Sneakers" who had been adopted out just previously; and asthis particular bun was the type with the mind set"I can breakout of any Xpen/Cage" you put me in (wasn't scaredor hiding - exploring and climbing)he seemed kinda James Bond - 007 - thus the name.

Love the naming process and hearing why.. Good thread.

Before webroughtour black lionhead home, my 4 year old daugherwanted us to go and get the "HAPPY" bunny cause our other bunny "fluffy" (also named by her, I wanted to name her Snickers) was not very social and friendly.

I wanted to name her Chase, after days of watching her. When I finally came up with with it and it seemed to suit her, my daughter decided if I change her name to Chase then she was gonna change my guinea pig Hammy's name to scratcher. So we stuck with Happy. It suits her.

We are looking into another bunny sometime in the future :D

:DHartley is named after the hare from the kids show Pipkins . He's actually Hartley The Second, tho' it seemed the right name for him. My doe's full name is Roxburgh although we shorten it to Roxy, after Australian actor Richard Roxburgh.

My first rabbit, MeiMei, was named after the little girl in the movie My Neighbor Totoro. My second one, Lennie, was named after Lennie Small from the book Of Mice and Men, because the character Lennie is big and sweet. He also talks about tending to the rabbits when he and his friend get a place together. (MeiMei and Lennie are my bunnies, the Flemish Giants are more my moms.)

Now our new Flemish Giant, Sophie, was named after Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle. In the movie, Sophie is transformed into an old woman with grey hair (Sophie, our bun, has grey fur) because of a curse placed on her by a witch. Sophie is a pretty, feminine name and it fits her. Like the character, she is very patient and calm.

Our other Flemish Giant, who ismale, does not have a name yet. We haven't found anything that really looks like him. We are still looking though :3

Solara: In the movie "The Book of Eli" there was a girl named Solara in there. I loved the name, and thought it was so pretty, so I named her it. I didn't want a 3 syllable name, but it stuck as soon as I saw her. It's such a feral name, and Solara's a pretty wild bun (Well, she's tame and such, but she likes doing her own thing, same as the girl in the movie.)

Sabriel: I was doing a google search to find a name for Sabriel when I first got him and came across the name Sabriel.. I thought it was a cool name, and even though it sounded girly, I thought it suited him.

Silas: I knew I was gunna name my next bun Silas, because I am naming all my bunnies S names. Silas means forest in some language (it IS an official name though). It suited him better than I thought, cause the name Silas makes me think of clouds, and he's black/gray/white (chinchilla) :p

And those are the name stories ;)

Ringo Starr... Ok not what you are thinking. Ringo means apple in japanesse at the time Gwyneth Paltrow had just named her daughter Apple... I thought it was funny. Starr was two fold Starr because he was my star and because of a soap I watch.

Connor Grayson now there is a story. Connor started as Pandora Gabrielle. The female name was after two characters in a book series(vampire chronicals). When we found out she was a he, we called him Commando Pando. We still do sometimes! He than became Connor after SuperBoy and Grayson after the first Robin Dick Grayson.

Teresa Mekare... Teresa is the name of an author I like. Mekare back to the vampire series.

Elvis Aaron... He struck a poise his first night and I just knew he was Elvis.

Wyatt Holliday Earp... When I saw him I thought he looked like a roughed up gunslinger. I was thinking Doc Holliday(he was my fave) but not many know that so I tweaked it.

Noah Chibi Ash...Noah because this place is like Noahs Ark. Chibi he came with and knew it and we liked it. Ash is after a bunny and human who passed away. Both named Ashley.

Gwyneth Apple Hoshi... Apple came to my attention through Haley. Here are quotes from her journey here.

Haley wrote:

I just wanted to tell you guys something cute Alicia told me last night.
Ringo (her head tilt boy) means Apple in Japanese. Fate, no?!

So than Haley found Hoshi means Star so...

I also have a weird naming thing where the first letter can not be the same as other animals. Sooo We added Gwyneth after....

Our Flemish Giant was born right around St. Patrick's Day. We are both Irish and wanted to give her an Irish Name. We were not sure if we were getting a boy or a girl so we actually picked a name that could go either way before we met our girl. I wanted to name O'Hara (after O'Hara Irish Red). My husband wanted to name the rabbit Paddy. So we named her Paddy O'Hara Mahoney. She comes to me when I call her Paddy O'Hara and sometimes I call her Ms. O'Hara (she doesn't come when I call her this). Names are so much fun!

i got butsy from a pet store, ( they told us she was a boy lol ) and she was soooo skinny, you could feel all her bones.. all you could see was a tuff of white fur on her bum, my mom was drunk and started calling her butsy, it stuck :p , she certainly isnt skinny anymore haha

I got my 1st bunny for my birthday, he was 8weeks old and the size of a normal rabbit! My husband had been told he was a mini lop, but turns out the woman just meant it was a baby! I named him Button as my mum said he's as cute as a button! When I got the other 2 I wanted to keep up the haberdashery theme so they're called Bobbin and Thimble!

we got Dante's name from a video game. when we got Dante he was really young and had not been sexed yet. we had agreed that if it was a male my boyfriend would name him, and if it was a female then i would get to name her. for a while, we thought it was a female, so i named her Athena. well weren't we surprised when we found out that "Athena" was a boy lol. David (the boyfriend) was obsessed with the video game Dante's Inferno, so he decided he wanted the name Dante for him.

Latest posts

Back