how did you choose your breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
basically in sydney, australia the choice of breeds were extremely limited. we'd heard of "miniature rabbits", we live in a small appartment so we thought that a small rabbit would be ideal. we investigated and found our mini lop :)
i'd heard of netherland dwarfs and thought they were cute so we also got one of those.

Korr is a mixed breed from a pet store. I didn't really get much choice with him, he was there I got him.
Sophie was a Dwarf Hotot. I saw her picture on the humane society website and fell in love.
Penelope was a lionhead. I had seen some on this forum and decided I wanted one. It took a few months to find the right one, and I ended up getting her.
Sean was an Giant Angora. I had seen his picture on the humane society website and knew he was mine. I didn't know much about the breed so had to learn fast.
Lillian is also a Giant Angora. I decided to get another one after Sean died and lucky for me there is a breeder not too far away. I feel in love with the breed with Sean and knew I wanted another one.
Ginny is a Satin Angora. After Sean and Lillian, I loved angoras. I found her on Kijiji.
Amelia is also a Lion head. After Penelope, I knew I needed another one. They are so feisty and disapproving that is is hard to live without one.

Lionheads were the first breed that I actually sought out. The others I sort of fell in love with and knew I needed more. They choose me more than I choose them.

I didn't choose Solara for a breed c: She was friendly, cute, and pretty awesome looking (she looks like a wild bun) sooo I adopted her (my first bun ever).

I wasn't really interested in dutches when I got Sabriel, I was interested in the larger breed New Zealand at the Humane Society but my mom insisted I held the little gray and white dutch. I fell in love with his personality c: (I would so get another dutch if I could c: )

I had been interested in Flemish Giants cause I wanted a huge rabbit and I heard they were pretty docile and friendly. Sooo I found a Flemish at the Humane Society, and thus, I have Silas!~

c: They kinda picked me <3

i want another bunny, particularly a flemmish giant (they look so big and cuddly!) but my fiance draws the line at two bunnies... grrrr

was it hard to convince your guys's S.O's to get more rabbits?

I first saw lionheads on Martha Stewart - with Marc the animal guy (can anyone imagine what his house looks like with all those animals?) He mentioned that you could train bunnies like a dog and how they needed grooming and lots of care - my daughter loved the big manes on the lionheads and I thought they were cute too. At easter time the petshop had some and I had to get one - for my daughter - well Peaches is mine now as I'm his primary care-giver. He,s a pointed white lionhead with red eyes (the eyes freaked us out for a while) - I would really have liked a holland lop but can't find any close by - we got our latest addition Popcorn last week he,s a black otter lionhead - full mane - not like Peaches who's got a fuzzy face, this one has the full mane and soft as angora. I knew we wanted a small breed of rabbit, not something too big - I'd still love a Holland Lop (that cute bunny on youtube - Puddles - is sooo adorable)

rexes chose me! we had decided to give into to the call of the bun and were visiting our county show to check out the buns. we had done a lot of research and knew what we could offer. out of all the vendors and breeders we chatted to, only one had dogs. her bunnies were used to dogs barking and being around them. this was the clincher tho' i wouldnt have any other breed now :lookaround:lookaround

:biggrin:

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Ours were all in need of rescue from Death Row, so that's how we chose them. Everything from Nethies to a Checkered Giant.
i really want to adopt, i've found two of the most gorgeous bunnies (an angora who seems to just have spiky hair on his head, not like a lionhead though, just like a few little whisps? weird) and a holland lop. i must have them they are too beautiful to pass up and i dont want them disposed of :( but apparently we arent allowed :(

I found a local rabbitry and asked them lots of questions. I did a bit of research online first, decided I wanted a dwarf breed, didn't really think a HUGE bun would be practical lol. Then did a search for dwarf breeders and voila. My choice was between netherland dwarf and holland lop and i chose the lop really b/c i love the floppy ears. i think my choice was wonderful b/c he is a doll. Each bun is wonderful in their own way though, tough to decide. I'd say just whatever works best for your personal circumstances.

bunnyluv96 wrote:
. I'd say just whatever works best for your personal circumstances.

:yeahthat: when we were looking for bunnies, adoption from a shelter wasnt an option. none of them were willing to let a bunny go to a home with a dog. this was totally understandable, which is why i chose a breeder who had dogs and was willing to let me have a look around her rabbitry.:)

I spent all summer preparing to bring home a Tan because those were my favorite. But then I tagged along with a rabbit loving friend to go pick up some Flemish Giants for herself and a coworker, and that was that. I love flemmies as well, but didn't think I'd find one that I liked in the WI area. They are not extremely common around here (or at least we had a hard time finding them). One look at Muppet, and I knew she was coming home with me. ;)

MaxysMummy - My husband never had pets growing up so he is against every living thing I bring home. However, I am the bread winner in the family and therefore he doesn't have a choice in the matter. ;)He doesn't have anything to do with the animals care and such. I am fully capable of taking care of them myself and I want my daughter to grow up with pets! I bascilly just go out, get them and bring them home. Once he gets to know the animal, he is fine. My dog and him are best buds and he flat out refused to let me go get her (I don't listen well as you can tell) :)So it depends how much pull you have I guess! Good luck!

I love full arched breeds and Himalayans.

I love the full arched rabbits -- I love the long, sleek bodies and the high strung attitudes. I have a Tan, two Petites, an English Spot, and a Belgian Hare. They all have very distinct personalities and are energetic and gorgeous.

Himalayans were something I had wanted since I first saw one as a child. They're so gorgeous. When I saw Walter at the fair I couldn't resist. I love their elegant bodies and nice disposition.

I love my dutch because they're cute and friendly.

While I did seek specific breeds, each one came to me in a special way. It's like fate had chosen the perfect rabbit of each breed I wanted for me -- All have been a wonderful addition to my life.

Most of my buns have come from a rescue or the shelter. Except for two.

Mufasa is a lionhead lop I got from the pet store because the shelter was rude. This is really the only time I don't have lops. Mufasa has only one lop ear.

I really want another lop.

Harper is a mix, and we just asked for a bunny and he was the one they brought. XD

I have my Hollands because my mother's friend raises them, and asked if we wanted to come and see them. Obviously I fell in love and now I have 7. :p
I have my Californians & New Zealand as leftovers from FFA shows. XD
And my English Spot(probably a mix, he's almost a year old and only barely looks like a Spot) I bought on the side of the road on an impulse buy- absolutely terrible, I know but I figure he's probably better in my hands than with someone else who would have bought him in that situation.

Gumby and I were kind of thrown together - and I have no idea what breed he is, only that he is small.

My boyfriend found him outside, he was dumped by some jerk in the middle of a cold streak in September. We love him to pieces though, so it all evens out. :)

Wonderful stories :)

I started showing Californian rabbits in FFA won reserve champion and once i graduated I wanted to have my own breed. One that I could benefit to and also learn from. I went to a show in Kansas and saw many breeds of rabbits. I was looking at french lops. They are so cute and I know i will get one some day. But then i saw these beautiful rabbits running across a table and that was it. I bought a girl and a boy and then grew from there. My tans mean everything to me and I love their inquisitive personalities. They really make an interesting friend. And the way the yare shown just excites me. To see them run in groups and binkie across the table puts a smile on my face.
After a while I wanted a smaller rabbit that i could actually hold at shows and just relax. Well I went to the ARBA convention and thats where i found the britannia petites. I loved their gorgeous style and class. Did some reading and took some information forms to the hotel. The next day i bought my first brit Rocky after he won Best Opposite Variety. This little man stays in my apartment and i prove everyone wrong about petites with this guy. He is such a high strung little lovebug lol. Yes if your not holding him he will jump out of your hands but he can also just fall asleep while someone is petting him and doesnt mind staying on my stomach at shows. I finally got him a girlfriend and will be expecting babies in a few weeks. I hope they are as sweet as him :)

Jenny is jsut from the local humane society, thats my promarly source for Rabbits, she's a muttly :p Peepers is a Dwarf Hotot from a breeder..its just I breed I have loved for a long time, and the breeder we knew was cutting back his stock do to his health, he was offering up his Dwarf Hotots..I jumped on it lol she is my only purbred breeder rabbit though, all my future rabbits will just be shelter buns like Jenny and Kari.

Mini Rexs are my very favorite breed that I have. I love the colors they come in. Opal is just the most gorgeous color I have ever seen. My favorite rabbit is a jet black mini rex buck named Johnny. Mini Lops are my second favorite breed that I have. Small, super cute. Gotta love the ears. I also have some lionheads and some californian/new zealand crosses.

But if I could pick any rabbit it would HAVE to be a belgian hare. I am currently looking at importing a trio next spring. I have to find the time first to build some proper huge padded cages for them.

When I was 12 I got my VERY first rabbit. I was told he was a mini lop buck at a pet store. HE turned out to be a SHE (even though I had him sexed at the vet to make sure). SHE turned out to be a HUGE black rabbit with very stand up ears. She was a HE until he had babies! Funny because when ever I think of Blackie as a baby I think of him as a boy, and when I remember him in his later years I remember him as HER which she was. Follow me? lol!

Blackie had been pregnant and due to have babies soon. She got an abscess in her mouth from something. I got some antibiotics from the vet. The next day she was dead. :( Now here is the strange part...she died laying relaxed with her head up and her paws over her nest box. She totally looked alive but was dead! Like her heart just stopped and she never knew a thing. I was so horrified. But at least she went peaceful.

canadagirl wrote:
But if I could pick any rabbit it would HAVE to be a belgian hare. I am currently looking at importing a trio next spring. I have to find the time first to build some proper huge padded cages for them.
Belgian Hares are very interesting in real life. I am not sure there is any breed quite like them. The pictures can't quite capture how big and lanky they are. They are very entertaining and seem to love to run around and get into trouble. If you can come to Edmonton in Feb or April, you might be able to see one doing agility :)

I initally chose mini-lop and holland lops because they are so cute, however onceI started at the shelter in 2005I adopted rabbits in need which had nothing to do with breed or appearance.

My 2 latest rescues are standard chinchilla rabbits that were not wanted by their breeder at a fair last summer ( uncertain future for them)

They are 2 brothers who are bonded and are the friendliest most mellow and sweetest rabbits I have ever had in my life.
I am absolutely thrilled by these rabbits.

In terms of disposition and temperament they get a 10 and from what I have read this is common for this disappearing breed.

Back