How cold can a summer coated rabbit handle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Three days ago I had really warm weather it was between 25-30 Celsius ( 77- 86 Fahrenheit), it was that temperature for two weeks. But these three days outside during the night and early morning been around -5 celsius ( 23 Fahrenheit).

The day it’s around between 2-10 C, (35 - 50F)

All my outdoor rabbits have summer coats now and it’s snowing a lot outside.

So will they be able to handle the cold weather that suddenly started again.

Depends on their accommodation. I use a snugglesafe in winter, which is like a microwave heat pad for bunnies which stays warm all night. They’re about €15 on Amazon and I think they’re great x

Feel a bit late buying a heat pad when it will soon be summer.

My doe have her isolated area filled with straw while my buck have nothing.

Both cages are above the ground, to make it less cold in the cage during the winter.

But it’s spring now and it suddenly started to snow again. It’s snowing in May which have never happened before, so I’m back with having to break ice in the water bowls.

Yeh fair enough. How about some thick layers of newspaper on the floor for extra insulation and a cardbox box filled with straw for your buck? If they’ve already shed and it’s cold enough for water to freeze, they definitely need some extra cosiness until spring ‘returns’! Global warming eh ☹️

Yeh fair enough. How about some thick layers of newspaper on the floor for extra insulation and a cardbox box filled with straw for your buck? If they’ve already shed and it’s cold enough for water to freeze, they definitely need some extra cosiness until spring ‘returns’! Global warming eh ☹️

Yeah, I’ll stuff their cages with straws again, hope the warm weather will come back again.

Back