How can I tell if my dwarf is prego?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to palpate her. If you cant do that you should bring her to the vet.

What breed is she? Is she purebred? Pedigree? How old is she?

What is the reason you are breeding her?

~Amy

She is a pure bread neatherland dwarf

We beard because we wanted to have more bunnies.

Can you tell me how to palpatate?

We put them together and than again the next day...after a while shegot really large in the tummy...than I put a nest box in and shecontinues to tip it over...one day I went in to clean cage and shebarked at me...than i thought for sure she was opregnet but nothingever happened....she is coming up on one year old.

thanks

rheanna

The best way to tell is to palpitate the doe.This is a proceedure that can be difficult to master. If you arent surehow to do that, find an experienced breeder in your area that might bewilling to help your out. If that doesnt work contact a vet.

How long has it been since she was bred?

She is notpregnant, does usually kindle between day 30 and 35, she is most likelynot pregnant. You really should know this if you are going to bebreeding. Please read before you breed.

Please do not breed, unless you arecompletely prepared. I am going to ask you some questions and you haveto answer them honestly (to yourself).

Do your rabbits have a Pedigree?

Are they purebred?

Are they over 8 months?

Do you know what a stuck kit is?

Do you know how to hand feed a baby with out them aspirating the milk?

Have you read a lot about breeding?

Are you breeding for a reason (such as show rabbits)?

Do you know what mastitis is?

Did you know that when most females havetheir first litter they usually die, sometimes from being eaten, areyou able to handle the sight of dead (and possibly bloody)babies?

Will you have time, most likely1to2hours a day, to hand feed the babies if themother wont feed them?

Do you have money set aside incase youneed to bring your doe to the vet if there is anemergency?

Do you have an adoption contract ready to go out with the babies?

Do you have a plan for the bunnies if the new owner cant take care of them any more?

If you have said no to ANY of thesequestions then you should really consider not breeding.

Breeding is definitely not fun and games,there are SO many things that could go wrong.

Here is my gains and losses this year....

Had a litter of 5 babies.....

At 2 weeks they all had to go to the vet for a check up = - $60

At 4 weeks one of the babies had to go in for a check up = - $35

Sold 3 babies for $30 each =+$90

Another baby had a spinal injury and was brought to the vets = - $200

Then the baby passed away. :(

So in all I made a whopping - $205 (Do you see that is a NEGATIVE SIGN)

I am 16 years old ok, I only make $100 a week, and %50 ofthe money I make goes to the rabbits.

~Amy

Please do your research before you breed youranimals. What are you breeding them for? Are they pedigreed? Are yougoing to show them? Do you have an outlet for the extra babies. Are youprepared to see a vet, or deal with a stuck kit if something should gowrong. These are a few things to cinsider before you breed your rabbit.

When I hear about someone wanting tobreed, I am ALWAYS hoping Amy beats me there. Amy to therescue!!! Good job. :D

And yes, PLEASE read before you breed!

Hugs! Shorty, Star & Krick

Angry_dog.gif

~Amy :D

You know.....I really appreciate the people whogive the helpful things like links to articles, and actually answer myqustions...however I have to say---the rest of you who what to act highand mighty and be so quick to judge really ruion the site forme........All I was looking for was a little helpful advice --not thegosh darn animal police jumping all over me.

And for that matter--I have read all about it and yes I am prepared andyes I have the room and yes...yes...yes. No matter how muchyou read sometimes talking to people who have actually experienced itcan give you better input which was what I thought this site woulddo. Thanks again to the NICE people. Andfor the rest of you..I will not be recomending this site.

Thanks anyway

I don't think anyone was being dirogativetowards you in any way. And Im sorry if I was. Its just hard to tellfrom the way people sometimes post about things. We didnt know that youwere informed about breeding rabbits. Thats why it was questioned.

Im glad you are doing your research on the issue. :p

It is hard to tell intentions and/orresponsibility and/or knowledge from posts. I think everyone's quick toweigh in on this issue because recently there seem to be a lot ofthoughtless breeders. Too bad they damage the credibility of those whoare really trying.

However,from a member that's been here for a bit, I do thinkthe forum is a bit "jumpier" lately, less willing to give a new posterthe benefit of the doubt. It's not just trolls that get chasedoff--sometimes it's a sincere person who asks a question, and isstartled by the vehemence of the responses. Personally, I'd alwaysrather get more of the story before assuming a new member is a troll orirresponsible(admittedly difficult with the rashofproblems lately!!).

I know that if it were me, new and not familiar with the forumdynamics, I'd be a bit taken aback--and yes, I'd probably be scared offtoo. We don't want to forget that we all came here to learn, and noteveryone's walked the same path yet.

If it is a troll, "given enough rope, he will hang himself." I usedthat philosophy to make a decision about a bad relationship. It worked,anyway. lol

Two cents, mine only.:)

Rose

I am sorry if youthought I was the "Animal Police" and I am sorry if you thought if Iwas judging you. NONE of that is true!

By your posts I had to assume that youdidnt know what you were doing. Some one who has read enough aboutrabbit breeding should know that their doe wont bepregnant bythe 35th day. If you were reading you should have already known whatpalpating was.

If you noticed I didnt say anything untilafter you posted a couple of times, thats because to me what you weresaying didnt sound like you knew what you were doing.

I am not taking back anything I said,because I meant every word, and it is just facts and you should reallyconsider some of the questions.

You are definitely NOT the first person Ihave posted this too. I seriously have to post this at least once, sometimes more, every day.

I am SICK of irresponsiblebreeders, and if you are not one you are going to have to prove it,because I don't believe any one any more.

~Amy

ayglnu13 wrote:
PuterGeekGirl wrote:
I'mguessing Amy has that copied to her clipboard permanetly by now... ;);)
Ya a lot of things I say is copied andpasted now, but it is because I have to say it SOoften...:?

~Amy
Yeah, this subject does seem to be coming up an awful lot lately! :shock:

And I really dofeel bad saying all that stuff, but if I dont who will? And there areso many "breeders" the come on here and have NO idea what they aretalking about, and I have to assume the worst.

~Amy

ayglnu13 wrote:
Some one who has readenough about rabbit breeding should know that their doe wontbepregnant by the 35th day.

Just a freak thing.....but Bub's mom gave birth on the 35th day. Didn't think it was possible and was starting to get frantic.

Rose

Latest posts

Back