How can I encourage optimal water consumption?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRabbits

Reaction score
Two of my rabbits are 6-year-old Black Dutch babies. In comparison to other rabbits (my sisters' house rabbits; my other rabbits), these two consume relatively little water (and little hay). I have tried giving them the little salt licks, but they are uninterested in those.

I am now learning from my reading that good water consumption supports a healthy coat and good condition. Dorcas -- one of the Black Dutch -- has a very nice coat so maybe in some sense, she IS drinking in adequate amounts. Jemimah, the other Black Dutch, is experiencing a decline in the quality of her coat lately -- both in thickness and softness. I wonder if part of the problem isn't her relatively low water consumption.

At one point I received a free sample of somebody's brand -- a cute ice cream coned shaped mineral lick. I am not sure what was in it -- it certainly was not just salt. At any rate, the rabbits clearly appreciated its flavoring. The treat disappeared within a matter of days. I did not at the time think to observe water consumption closely. Are you famliar with this ice-cream-cone shaped treat? Is it worth my while to find some more and give them to increase water consumption to a healthier level? Are there other ways of encouraging a rabbit to drink a little more?

Water consumption varies a lot between rabbits particularly depending on diet. For example my pair will consume approx 500ml in 24 hrs on a day when they just have pellets and hay but on a day when they also have a lot of fresh greens their water consumption will drop atleast 50-80%.

If your rabbit has a healthy diet than vitamin supliments shouldn't be necessary. Your rabbit should also manage it's own water consumption providing fresh water is alweays easily accessible. The prefered option is usually a bowl for drinking.

I would tend to focus more on the lack of hay consumption which is more likely to effect their overall health.

You might like to try a range of different types of hay, reducing pellets to encourage hay eating or substituting fresh grass (introduce this gradually). As grass also has a high water content compared to hay they will get part of their water requirement from this :)

Tamsin

If they are getting veggies, then they don't need as much water as veggies have lots. If the diet is just pellets and hay, then they need more water.

Adding a bit if flavour can help. A little but of fruit juice can help, a few tablespoons in a bowl is enough. Korr didn't drink a lot of water for a couple of day, I put some fruit juice in the water and he drank the whole bowl fairly fast.

You know, Bo has a bowl and Tony and Clover have bottles. ALL THREE drink A lot of water! Bo goes through 2 little crock bowls that hook on his cage - each day!

I don't know what it is or why but they do love it. I feed them craisens 2 or 3 times a week for a snack..... They get just tap water - sometimes bottled but I think they like our well-water best.

I want to agree with everone's posts! But, I want to say, that Tamsin talking about hay consumption. I love that! So true. Rabbits will not eat without having water. So, if they're eating hay, all is good!

And another, Korr and Sophie!

Wet veggies can add quite an amount of hydration.

Also, flavoring their water can help like she suggested. You can flavor it with a bit of apple juice. You can also spritz hay with this to entice them to eat it, but, do it in small amounts. If this hay dries and they don't eat it, it will mold, and mold is toxic to buns. Be careful if you use this method.;)

What a great idea to flavor the water with apple juice! I'll have to try that.

FYI -- they all drink out of water dishes, but I have been trying to get Suzette to drink from a Lixit bottle since she likes to play with the water dish. (She lives separate from the others).

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Also, flavoring their water can help like she suggested.  You can flavor it with a bit of apple juice. 

Or un-sweetened cranberry juice, very good for the UT aswell! I sometimes give CJ a little teaspoon or two of cranerry juice every 4-8 days and have had no problem as of yet, nor my vet and they have been doing this for over 18 yrs with they're flemish (9.1/2yrs old).

I've also used a small bit of vanilla extract to sweeten their water...

I suppose it depends on your buns taste. If you suspect they really are not getting hydrated enough, I would rinse their veg and feed it to them wet.

Also, buns that eat more hay will frequently make trips to the water dish. The hay must make their mouths dry, lol.

I don't think the mineral lick is needed, IMO. Some people have even reported health problems linked to mineral licks and buns, so I would avoid this.

Latest posts

Back