How big of a cage? *NIC ideas preffered*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattiemattiesrattery

Reaction score
Ok sooooo in all I am getting a rather large addition to the family.

7 buns. *don't lecture me on starting off with so many, I also rescue everything that needs a home *except gerbils* and have had as many as 15 buns at once, I feel 7 is a good permanent number though*

3 are Dwarf Buns *Neutered male brothers bonded*
3 are Mini Rex Buns *Unsure, about being fixed or genders, But they are bonded*
and one is a Holland Lop type I believe *Male, unknown if he is neutered or not*

I want to slowly see about bonding them all together and putting them in one major big cage, they are all under 4 months old too, so I am thinking that should help with the bonding process.

However while they are separate I am having them in kinda small cages near each other but once I have the chance to have them all together *and with some being Neutered and others possibly neutered/spayed, or at least will be when I see if they need to be (as in if they aren't done)* I plan to have a Massive play cage for them full time inside and their cage outside *Play cage during nice days only* But Incase something should come up and they can't have play time outside their cage or in their pen I want a big cage.

What would you suggest for groups of 3 or all 7 combined?

I was thinking 5 x 6 and then 4 or 5 grids high with multiple shelves in it for the 7 and then for just Trios 5x3 and 3 grids high.

When I made my post a few days ago in the main area I was only planning on 2 or 3 but things change for the better ^_^

The cage sizes for them in the trios sounds good. I assume if you are going 3 high, you are going to add levels which would great.

If they do all bond, I would just have a pen or a room for them. Building a cage to house 7 together would be tricky and need to be huge. You could have a smaller cage in a room or pen that they would have access to all day (24/7 if possible). A cage the size you propose would need to be reinforced a lot for it to stay stable. You could have smaller cages in a pen so they get the levels and it would be more sturdy.

You should also consider if they don't bond and if the trios start to fight. Young rabbits may get along, but as they get older, they might decide not to. The neutered dwarfs would have the best change of staying together as they are neutered and won't go through the hormones.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
You should also consider if they don't bond and if the trios start to fight. Young rabbits may get along, but as they get older, they might decide not to. The neutered dwarfs would have the best change of staying together as they are neutered and won't go through the hormones.
Hehe yes if they do start to have troubles later on down the road they will be separated into large single bun areas. But It would be great to have them all together is all. ^_^

With the hot, sometimes chilly, awkward rapidly changing weather in AZ....I'd never have rabbits outside for more then an hour depending on the day. So, I'd definitely plan to have the inside cages be the more permanent cages. Not to be a bummer, but definitely do not plan on them all bonding, so plan out cages & sizes carefully so everyone has enough space.

undergunfire wrote:
With the hot, sometimes chilly, awkward rapidly changing weather in AZ....I'd never have rabbits outside for more then an hour depending on the day. So, I'd definitely plan to have the inside cages be the more permanent cages. Not to be a bummer, but definitely do not plan on them all bonding, so plan out cages & sizes carefully so everyone has enough space.
Well I only leave them out there as long as I have all my windows and doors open, so if I have them closed the buns don't go outside. Like in the summer early mornings and late evenings would be the only time they are out because of the heat.
And in cold weather just the nice days, since during the day it's nice with no breezes.
There is a lil house in there, and lots of chances for breeze blocking and such.

They are being set up in cages that will work as permanent ones if they don't bond, just something I am being wishful for and wanting to see about setting up together. But I know that right now the three dwarf buns are Bonded and the Mini rex are bonded. But my lop isn't bonded with them. So it'll all start out in smaller cages anyhow.

Rattiemattiesrattery wrote:
undergunfire wrote:
Well I only leave them out there as long as I have all my windows and doors open, so if I have them closed the buns don't go outside. Like in the summer early mornings and late evenings would be the only time they are out because of the heat.
And in cold weather just the nice days, since during the day it's nice with no breezes.
There is a lil house in there, and lots of chances for breeze blocking and such.

They are being set up in cages that will work as permanent ones if they don't bond, just something I am being wishful for and wanting to see about setting up together. But I know that right now the three dwarf buns are Bonded and the Mini rex are bonded. But my lop isn't bonded with them. So it'll all start out in smaller cages anyhow.
Addin' onto this since I forgot to put it in the first post and didn't edit in time >_<
The main cages will be inside the house, But I feel that everything needs fresh air and being in the house with just windows and doors open doesn't quite do it sometimes. Even my rats get some outdoors time they love it too.

undergunfire wrote:

I agree. I only take out my animals in the morning for supervised play (My parakeets like to go out too, lol)

While I am getting 6 buns, I have done so slowly. Hopefully you can bond to them all at once..I would hate having non tame, unbonded bunnies. :/

Myia09 wrote:
I agree. I only take out my animals in the morning for supervised play (My parakeets like to go out too, lol)

While I am getting 6 buns, I have done so slowly. Hopefully you can bond to them all at once..I would hate having non tame, unbonded bunnies. :/
Well the windows and doors are open when they are outside so that is allowing me to know if anything comes up, Also it's maybe 4ft from my backdoor and main window so I can see them.

As for the unbonded stuff, 2 sets of three are already bonded, so it's not like all 7 of them are neutral buns, and they are all under 5months old.

Oh LOL!:foreheadsmack:

Well so far I don't think that will be much of a problem, I am home 90% of the day, and work from home normally ^_^ So All my animals get more then the attention they want lol.

I think I might not have to worry about that ^_^

Rattiemattiesrattery wrote:
As for the unbonded stuff, 2 sets of three are already bonded, so it's not like all 7 of them are neutral buns, and they are all under 5months old.
So, wait.....are the bonded trios spayed/neutered? If not...I sure hope you don't have babies :(.

In all honesty....I'd personally be worried about bonding all of the rabbits, as you could break the bonds of your current bonded rabbits.

one set of them are Neutered already.
The other set I haven't gotten any info on that part.

However I will be checking that first thing when I get them to make sure that there are no girls in with boys.

Latest posts

Back