How bad is it if I bought the wrong pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim1218

Reaction score
We recently finished off the first bag of pellets that I bought when we got Shadow. Without thinking, I had dumped the pellets into a storage container and threw out the bag. I know that she had timothy pellets, but I had no idea which ones exactly, so I just picked outsome newtimothy pellets and saved the bag so I'd remember what to get next time. This was about a week ago, and Shadow has drastically slowed down her pellet intake. She used to finisheverything I gave her(1/4 cup in the morning plus 1/8 cup in the evening)by the next morning. Now she doesn't even finish the 1/4 cup in that timeframe. Her poo has also gotten a lot darker, and occasionally there are a few pieces that are almost sticky (not cecals I don't think, just a little sticky). She also isn't eating as much hay as normal, though she might be holding out for more orchard grass. I started giving her just a bit of orchard grass for variety, but stopped because she wasn't eating her timothy anymore. She drinks just as much water as normal - that hasn't changed. She eats her veggies and treats just like normal. Her potty habits haven't changed either - she seems to be going just as much as ever. She also is acting normal, and not strange or sick. Did I completely mess up her diet, or will she eventually go back to her normal eating habits? Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

She should go back to her normal habits soon. Or these pellets could just weigh more, and she may not need to eat as much.

I've done a couple of cold switches on my herd, and I've never had any adults freak out. I always slowly switch over my weanlings and nursing/pregnant does, though.

Just keep making sure that she's pooping okay. =D

If they're both timmy pellets, her digestion should even out with time. One of my rabbits seems ok switching between different timmy pellets without an issue. My other tried a few bites of a different food and had poopy butt, but I'm sure he would've got used to it eventually if I had been trying to switch him over. So it's bunny dependent but I think it'll work itself out.

Latest posts

Back