how are bunnies compared to other pets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try this one. . .

Rabbits are more like dogs than cats. Once they get used to you, theyWANT to be with you. Cats are aloof. If you are looking for a pet thatis easier to care for than a cat or dog, than a rabbit is not it. Theyare only kept in a cage to stop them from chewing on things when theyare not being watched.

Dogs need to go for walks, rabbits need out of cage time to run, jumpand to do binkies! I had a dog as a teenager (she lives with my parentsnow- they wouldn't let me take her with me when I moved :(), and Iwould say my rabbits are an equal amount of work. Dogs are actuallyeasier to care for becausethey 'do their business' outsideand you don't have to clean a cage and litter box every other day.

Well, hope that helps some.

Well, there really isn't that much to compare.Rabbits are a lot of work, but I wouldn't say that they are better orworse than a dog or cat. I would probably say rabbits are lessdangerous than dogs or cats, because rabbits can bite you and scratchyou and kick you, and sure it'll hurt, but a dog has sharper teeth andis much stronger, as is a cat. But a rabbit must be fed, excercised,have it's cage cleaned out, handled, and loved. Rabbits are certainlynot much less, if at all, work than a dog or a cat is. Rabbits cansometimes be better for a certain person, but it's hard to comparerabbits to another pet.

Well, they're less work than a dog and more work than a cat. As for personality, this article says it best:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/like-a-rabbit.html

The second question, "Are rabbits more like cats or dogs?" is a naturalto follow the first. My usual response is, "Are people more like fishor cockatoos?" After all, rabbits are, first and foremost, likerabbits, and the only way to find out what they are like is to livewith one or more. You'll find that rabbits share a few characteristicswith dogs, a few with cats, and a few with humans. They probably evenshare a few with fish and cockatoos. But mostly they're like rabbits,and learning what rabbits are like is part of the joy of living withthem. The fact that this question, like the "good pets" one, is askedat all makes clear the human position that in order to be considered ofvalue in our world, other species must conform to our notions of whatis "good."

This weekend someone just asked me why I got arabbit. I was speechless. I studdered a bit and said because they'reawesome. She is fun to watch, follows me room to room and .... justcouldn't think of anything to say. All I know is she is the most uniquefamily member we have and I couldn't imagine life without her. Thatarticle hits home because Delilah likes to be loved from a distance andon her terms. I used to always compare her to a cat for that reason. Mycat is the same when she wants attention, there is no ignoring her, butif not you don't exist.:bunnybutt:

Latest posts

Back