How accurate have your bunny dates been...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new partner for my littleguy Button. He lost both his companion bunnies a few months ago. The reason I ask this question is because I only got abonding partner through abunny date once. The girl I got was friendly and had a sweet temperment at the date (held at the shelter she was at). But when she got home, that was another story!! She totally hates every other bun she has met and is really aggressive and territorial towards them. She's a total sweetheart with people but she HATES bunnies.

So, I'm kind of worried that that might happen again. The other bun doesn't even have to totally bond with Button. Just having a neighbor with an adjoining NIC wall would be nice for him. Was it a fluke that Pedge (the girl) ended up being so violent when she got home. I always say she was smart. She put on a good performance at the shelter so she could get a forever home :)

Cara

You know, this is a really good question! I've never really thought about how things turn out - I think most have been good but a few haven't worked out the way they plan. I'll be interested to see what people say!

That is interesting that it didn't work out. My Tony is a lot like Pedge in his behavior to other bunnies, so I knew it would be hard to find him a bondmate. However, after a lot of dates that didn't go well, we did find a couple that did go well, and the best of these was Muffin. We took her home and within 2-3 weeks they were bonded. I would think that if there was a bonding problem you could take the bunny back to the shelter if there was no bonding within a month or so. I know our shelter has a 1 month return policy (you don't get your adoption fee back, of course). For Tony, a difficult and antisocial bunny, the date was a good predictor.

Benjamin was also taken on a date to get a bondmate. He is very easygoing though and really wanted company, so he only went on a date with one bunny, who we ended up taking home.

I do think it is important to do more than one bunny date. Have a second date on a different day to make sure that bonding will work. There are also some signs to be worried about and some signs that aren't bad. For instance, things like lying down or mutual self-grooming in each others' presence are hugely important for a succcessful bond. I know that you know most of the signs of a good meeting, but these seem to be the most important. The bigger the flops when they are together, the better.

Not Sherry!:( If you don't mind me asking, what happened to Buster?

:rainbow:

I've only done a date at a shelter once. In that case my bun Mocha was so scared I couldn't tell what she wanted. The shelter bun- Loki- was very curious and interested in everything. Mocha ended up fighting with him a lot once we got Loki home but she fell in love with him a few weeks later. Then we just had to convince Loki that she wasn't the monster he thought she was.

It might work out better if you work with rabbits that are in foster homes. They won't be as scared as buns at the shelter and you'll get a better idea of their personality.

Or... you could come up here and adopt some of my babies! There are three black rexy girls from two different litters available!:biggrin2:

Oh and a darling lionhead boy for Vivienne Violet.:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Well I hope you find your new dream bunn:D

I don't know what to say since my bunn loves everybunn and everyone never bit another bunny.hope it goes well!!!

Pebbles always got along with all the bunnies we bunnysat for...
until we adopted Bebe. They never had a chance for a date, because we took Bebe in when her owner moved away for school. I didn't attempt bonding until Bebe was spayed but they still ended up fightingand trying to kill each other (territory and dominance). It must of been a year of trying on and off, (had a cooling off period to let bite marks heal). But eventually they became friends and are bonded in a way they would groom each other and sit besides each other in the play pen. At night, they are separated and put into their own cages.

A key factor that worked for me was when I started tocram the two together into a small carrying case. Because it was so cramped inside for movement, they were not able to fight and they were forced to lay beside each other. If there were any signs of struggling, I would shake the carrier and they would settle right down.

The turning point was when I had Shadow (Luvabun's) at my place, and Pebbles fell in love with him and learned how nice it was to be with another bunny. So Pebblesaccepted Bebe after Shadow was gone.

I just remembered this, but if you want another little bun for Button the HRS has a big group of dwarfs listed on Petfinder. I'm guessing they're from a confiscation I heard about in November. If they still have a bunch you'd have a lot to choose from.

Or smallish rexy girls!!!:biggrin2:

yeah about the dwarves. There's also a sweet baby (edit: magpie) harli at Dane County (I REALLY want her but no way--too many!!), a recovering overweight Tort dutch that is sweet and has a bit of an attitude, a black girlie dutch that shares my name (Claire!), and a very special and sweet head tilt girl. I can tell you about the personalities of any of the bunnies listed at the Mounds East Satellite Adoption Center (unless they've been there less than a month). There are several rexes too.

Check 'em out! The people at DCHS have been very good about bunny dates for Tony and Benjamin. I can PM you the names of their bunny date people if you would like to call and ask for them.

http://www.giveshelter.org/sitemgr/animal_search?type=Rabbit&gender=any&breed=&name=&loc=&order=asc

There are a lot of sweet girl-bunnies at the Waukesha Humane Society (HAWS) who are waiting bat their eyelashes at somebun! :p Belle was the friendliest one that I saw when I was there a few months ago (aside from Lucy & Ethel, a bonded pair of girlies).

I only have two bonding stories, one bad, one good. We fostered a Mini-Rex girlie Berry-Boo, and tried to bond her to our resident house bun, Toby (Netherland Dwarf). That was disastrous. It could have been much worse, but poor Toby was so afraid of her, he would just cower behind me (even though she was just playing around and being a hormonal teenage bunny). She was spayed, too!

After Berry-Boo found her forever home (now named Felice), we decided to look for another special somebun for Toby. He seemed lonely, so we didn't give up. On Craigslist, I saw an add for a house rabbit in Milwaukee that needed a home. We took Toby with us to see her, and she was such a cutie to me. She was scared, but showed potential. We decided to give them a try and plopped them both in the tub at the lady's house. No fighting, nothing. They just sniffed each other and huddled up. They rode in the car together and nothing ever happened. They were bonded within a week or two.

If you can, I would urge you to take your Button with you on a bunny date. Then, he can pick out the right bunny for you! Have you looked around on Petfinder? There are lots of rabbits in the shelters here. HAWS is pretty good about rabbit dates, even though their rabbit-lady is a little standoffish. Most shelters will let you do dates, you just have to call ahead!

Here are some local (Waukesha) cuties! They passed my sweetness tests when I met with them!

Belle
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11114155

Lucy & Ethel
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11816642

Burbee
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6350441

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I have been looking at Petfinder. There are so, so, SO many wonderful buns that deserve a good home :( Actually, when I look at Petfinder I get overwhelmed and have to stop looking because it makes me so sad about how many there are.

Then I also get overwhelmed trying to decide where to get he/she from. Ex: WI HRS has a small amount right now and the buns there get exercise time every day and they have an abundance of volunteers that give them attention. Basically a pretty nice life and they will not be PTS. HAWS seemsvery overcrowded right now for the amount of space they have and I don't think they get out every day. I've been watching from posts from Blue Frog who I think works with a high kill shelter, but I haven't seen any lately. Would that be best? "Choosing" from a foster home would make it easier on me because I know they have a decent life and will not be PTS, but would it be better to go to a shelter where theymay be PTS? However, the idea of having to choose one and leave the others behind because they didn't do well on the date makes me really sad.

Also, there are 2 buns that aren't local but within driving distance (Elkhart IN and Sterling IL) that I've been looking at. You know, the kind that you fall in love with for no particular reason just from seeing their picture? That's how it was for me with Buster. But, since there are so many in need locally, shouldn't I "support" my local shelters?? Of course, my first choice would be to adopt from Julie but her buns are mostly large.

Whew..That made me feel better just writing it. I'm a huge worrier about everything in life, definitely about the plight of animals. But none of my family/friends "get" why I am so stressed out about where and how to "choose" a rabbit. I think you will all understand and can give me some words of wisdom.

What are your opinions about where to get the bun and how to change my thinking from being sad about who I'm leaving behind?? Thanks!

Cara

PetBunny- In the bonding I've done, I've had very good luck with the "squishing in a small carrier" technique. I've thought about trying that with Pedge and Button but have been nervous because of her aggressiveness. Although, she could ride in a carrier with Buster without killing him. I think I'll go for it and at least give it a try.

Tonyshuman- I've thought of getting a special need bun and have been looking at Princess (blind) from Dane Cty. Not necessary as a partner for Button, but because I have the space to put a cage on top of one of the others. I was thinking they would probably need less exercise time in the full room and could live on the second floor and come out as much as they need. I've seen Tootsie but didn't realize she had head tilt. Do you her and her personality? There is also one at Dane Cty that has already been returned twice (Ophelia). How sad is that!? It would be nice to guarantee her a forever home.

Naturestee- Sherry died in November. As I think you know she had been very sick. The night she had to be PTS, she definitely told me it was her time and she was ready to go. So, I didn't really have regrets. She was 8. Buster on the other hand was devastating. He died very suddenly in December.I had a necropsy done but the vet couldn't really give a definitive cause of death. Because he came in on a Friday and there wasn't a bunny vet to do the necropsy until Monday they couldn't do any tissue sample tests. He was only 3.

Treasured Friend- If you read this who is Jerry?? The idea of a big squishy minilop has often crossed my mind. I love Haley's Biggy Max.

Kherrmann- I'd like to get one from HAWS. That's where I got both Pedge and Button. It seems like they are very crowded right now. I think Button has the potential to have either a female or male partner since he got along really well with Buster. They have SO many!

Cara

Ok, I know I've been pushing Sheboygan HS a lot but... we don't generally euthanize rabbits except for extreme circumstances. But we've been so full and our adoption rates are so low the last few months, I wouldn't hold them to it. We've had some recent adoptions but now we'll be getting the Christmas cast-offs and before too long we'll have Easter cast-offs. Not to mention we still have two rabbits here that were transferred from Bluefrog's shelter to save them from euthanasia last fall. And I still have babies there... Not all of whom are on Petfinder. In fact we have a bunch of rabbits that aren't on Petfinder yet.

I know how overwhelming this is, especially with so many options in the area. Is there any way to narrow down your choices? Do you want a certain size bun, age, breed, etc.? And if you're looking for a friend for Button you won't want to take an emergency get-him-out-before-he's-euthanized bun because you'll need to take his preferances into account.

One word on foster homes- yes the rabbits have great care already and aren't in danger of being PTS. But generally when you adopt one, it leaves a space open for another rabbit to be pulled from a kill shelter.

Hypnotizes: *you need a black rexy girl*

naturestee wrote:
If you'd like a squishy mini lop, we have two girls to choose from...:biggrin2:

One of which was pulled from Bluefrog's shelter.

Aren't all of your rabbits shown on Petfinder? I didn't see any minilops. Is Jazzy the mom of the babies you had?

As far as narrowing it down...The bunnies I've had have been Holland Lops, Netherland Dwarfs and one heart-bunny Dwarf Hotot. The largest has been about 3.5 lbs. At HAWS the ones I thought of for dates are: Females- Lexi, Minnie, Coco, Sammy, Punkin. Males- Watson, Midnight, Teddy.

I've also heard pairs are harder to adopt and their is a new pair of Nethie girls at Dodge Cty. Even if he doesn't find a living-together bondmate, I think he would be very happy with a friendly neighbor. That's how he was with Buster....grooming through the wall, laying next to each other, sharing hay...but I never fully trusted them to live together.

As for the shelter/rescue question, I don't think it matters too much. I know Dane County doesn't PTS often at all for space reasons, and they often pull from out-of-county shelters that do have overcrowding issues. For instance, Frida was from a shelter that only takes strays and doesn't have its own adopting out resources, I believe, and she was on the euth list until a DCHS person took her in as a temp foster until a space opened up at DCHS for her. In that sense, they are a lot like a no-kill rescue. They do have fewer resources for behavioral rehab and medical treatment than some rescues, so bunnies are more frequently PTS for that than in a no-killl rescue, but it's still pretty rare. Any bunny you get from a rescue or shelter will save either its life or the life of another bunny that the shelter/rescue can take since that space opened up. I don't know how it is at HAWS either, but I think they are a very low-kill shelter similar to DCHS. If you adopt from foster care, it's the same thing--that foster spot is now open to a bunny at the shelter. DCHS has been pretty full for a while though--even a cute little harli like baby Lola is still around, which surprises me. I guess it's not the bunny time of year.

As for the bunnies at DCHS, I didn't even know Princess was blind! I usually look at them through their own site which doesn't list special needs on the front page and I only read the bios of the ones at the site I help at. She does seem like a sweet girl.

Tootsie Roll is very sweet and loves exploring--she climbed to the top of the Cottontail Cottage like any other bunny. I spent some time playing with her and cut her nails. She doesn't trance very well with her tilt like that! I don't think they know why she has the tilt, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse at all. She is a very sweet, quiet bunny. All the volunteers comment on how sweet she is. She gets around great and the tilt is actually pretty slight--maybe 20 to 35 degrees off of vertical. I like my bunnies to have a bit of sass, but she isn't sassy at all. She's a bit overweight so she's on a diet, but loves her treats. She's a very pretty smallish agouti with a few white patches. I think she'd be a low maintenance special needs bunny for sure, since the tilt is not bad and not increasing and she gets around just like any other bunny, plus she's such a sweetie.

I know Ophelia pretty well since she's been there almost since I first started helping out. She's a bit of a challenge. It is very sad that she's been returned twice, but she has quite a bunnitude and doesn't do well with kids, which I think both of her potential families had. You have to go very slow with her especially in her cage--can't reach in there to do anything without gently patting her head with the other hand--and trying to pick her up is a challenge. She's a bigger dutch mix, black with some white patches. She really loves to sit on the ground and be petted or sit in your lap (once she's calmed down from being picked up) and be petted. However, she is a challenge due to her territorial nature, which comes out a lot more than her sweet nature. When I think of her, I think that she is going to need a very bunny-savvy owner with a lot of patience for her to warm up to people again. She has bit me several times (drawing blood) for no apparent reason!:pullhair: I feel really bad for her because people have obviously let her down and she hasn't had any reason to trust them yet. The shelter environment isn't hurting, but it isn't helping. In any case, she's not a cantidate for bunny dates because she's so territorial and aggressive. She likes to snap through the bars at the others. She would be great if a bunny-savvy person was looking for a challenge to rehabilitate.

There is also a pair that's been there for a long time that I know--Marshmallow and Bogey. Bogey is a sweet, cuddly, fluffy mini-lop and Marshmallow is a charlie marked little thing--probably some hotot in there. They're very cute and have been called the "super bunnies" because they love to jump. Marshmallow is a bit aggressive through the bars to other bunnies, but Bogey is very laid back. Just another one to mention.

I know I've written an essay but I feel that I know some of these guys pretty well. I think the best thing to do is go to a shelter with Button and have a list of a few you want to try dates with, in case there isn't the right vibe. Start with the ones you're most enamored with yourself, because you're adopting the bunny and you have to like her too. If a bondmate isn't the main goal, go meet whoever pulls on your heartstrings the most, and see how you get along with her/him. If a bunny is calling to you, that's what you need to do.:thumbup We drove 3+ hours to get Benjamin because he just called to us from petfinder and we couldn't be happier.

:rabbithop

I just got back from a mobile adoption, there's rumors going around that they may have to start euthanizing rabbits.:(

They only have my babies from the first litter listed on Petfinder. Corea is a rexy girl and is at the Petsmart. There are four babies from the second litter and none have been adopted. Two rexy girls and one chocolate gold-tipped steel boy live together (boy is neutered) and one black boy separate. The babies can be adopted singly. Yes, Jazzy is the mom. IMO she would LOVE a bunny friend. She needs some socialization still and I wish I had time for her, but in the time that I had her she learned to eat from my hand and liked to jump on top of me. She would really like to be a human-loving bunny but seems to have had problems with hands.

There is one mini-lop girl listed for Sheboygan. I don't know her at all but she is still there. There is a second one, also a black girl, who is the sweetie from Chicago. There are a lot of rabbits that are not listed because even if they have pictures for them, nobody has time to put them up on Petfinder. There is actually a trio of medium sized uppy eared girls, all tort colored. A little shy but sweet once they're in your arms. We had them out at the mobile today. There is also a pair of sweet girls, I think one white and brown and the other black? And a number of other rabbits too.

Tonyshuman and Naturestee-

Thank you SO much for all the local information and the PM's! I have to leave for a while, but I will PM you tonight with some other questions, etc.

Cara

P.S. -Tonyshuman- Did we meet briefly on a transport? I know I drove a pair to Madison who was headed to MN (I think) and I met up with someone from RO at a McDonalds. What that you??

I am going to make a really crazy suggestion - but oh well - here goes...

Could you handle a trio? If so - why not consider getting a bonded pair to bond with your bunny?

I know with Miss Bea and Zeus - they bonded fairly quickly - but when Ambrosia busted in - it was like the bonding went so fast I was shocked. Miss Bea wasn't thrilled...but once Zeus made it obvious HE wanted to allow Ambrosia into their bond...she accepted it.

I think sometimes when there are two bunnies - it is easier for them to let a third one in...

Just a crazy thought...

All of those rabbits that you mentioned from HAWS are pretty nice. Minnie was a sweetie, but if I remember right, she was older. I think she was 7? I don't remember 100%! HAWS does euthanize animals at their shelter. From my understanding, it is only for extreme illness/injury and for space (rarely). They said that the space issue has never been a problem for rabbits, but it is in their policy to do so if needed. I feel so bad for Mr. Fluffypants. He was adopted and brought back within a month or so because his new family couldn't "handle him". I think he's just being a bunny, from the sounds of it. I just like his name! ;)

Latest posts

Back