Housing Protection Against Mosquitos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HayHey0248

BunMum
Reaction score
:hello everyone :dutch

Im still going through the process of creating a larger outdoor area for my bun. But I've realized one very important issue. Myxomatosis. :(
Im from Australia, so our rabbits here are not protected against myxomatosis as the vaccine is illegal.
What I have right now on my setup is hard fly screen on the sides of his cage and on the front it is covered with mosquito netting. This is all fine as its just a hutch so it was easily done and he is fully protected. But as I am now going about to create a large housing area I still need to protect him from mosquitoes, but on a larger scale.

The setup I was originally going for was just a large aviary walk-in sort of style open area then inside obviously some shelter/bed area (small hutch) made out of wood. I'll have to change this though as covering such a large area with flyscreen would cost HEAPS and also just aesthetically speaking would be dark, but also interfere with his viewing of outside.

So I am wondering, what have other Aussies done who house their rabbits outside? Or anyone else who need to protect their rabbits from mosquitoes. Im thinking I may just move his whole hutch into the enclosed area and use it more like a very large run, where i will only be able to let him out during times when the mozzies are not around...
I just really dont want to risk it and expose him to anything.

Thank you if you could help! :)

Actually I had another idea. I might use a shed setup for him that will be larger than his hutch, plus It will keep the mozzies out if I just mesh up the windows etc. I could then have a run out the side too. :D
Ah, sorry if it seems like im talking to myself. Im just exploring ideas here, so maybe you guise can help me out with what you have done. Maybe pictures too? ^__^

A shed setup with mosquito mesh to protect from intruders sounds like an awesome plan! Just make sure it doesn't get too warm, I remember my dad's shed getting a bit hot during the summer months.

Thanks Pani! I'll keep that in mind ^__^ I will be placing it in an area that is quite shady and out of direct sunlight. We'll also insulate it so its cool in summer and warm in winter. Now its just up to finding a good shed... the hunt is on ;D

Hi I am also Australian! I keep my rabbits out doors in a converted cubby. It is full covered in fly wire and I have never had any issues good luck☺️

Latest posts

Back