Housing Indoors: How do you do it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madisonl702

Reaction score
I can say I have never housed a rabbit indoors unless it needed my care more than usual. I would like to know how to do it. I saw a beautiful cage on here (for inside) painted blue and the frame was that of a dresser. I was wondering, my rabbit is a little poop machine, how do you do the litter box thing?

Desexed rabbits can be litter trained easily. With a few weeks of work, you'd be able to have a litter box in the corner of a cage and have your bun pee and mostly poop in there. There may always be a few stray poops lying around, but that's easy to quickly pick up and throw back in the litter box.

We started slow and small spaces at first with Walter. He had to find what corner of the room he wanted his box in, so we put the litter box there. At first he just had free roam of the bathroom, then the bunny proofed bedroom and hall way and now he roams all downstairs, if he is in the far room he will hop all the way down the hall to use his box in the bathroom. Took a couple months. We just did it slow and expanded territory after he seemed pretty well trained with each new room. It is so much fun to see him do blinky's and play.

And how do you bunny proof? What kind of litter do you use? Hay, some brand name?

I just use wood chips with hay on top in litter box seems to be the safest stuff to use

Are there any suggestions for how to build a rabbit cage? The beautiful blue one I saw was just perfect. It had domino tiles on the floor of it.

I can say I have never housed a rabbit indoors unless it needed my care more than usual. I would like to know how to do it. I saw a beautiful cage on here (for inside) painted blue and the frame was that of a dresser. I was wondering, my rabbit is a little poop machine, how do you do the litter box thing?

And how do you bunny proof? What kind of litter do you use? Hay, some brand name?

Are there any suggestions for how to build a rabbit cage? The beautiful blue one I saw was just perfect. It had domino tiles on the floor of it.

I'm the opposite of you and have never housed a rabbit outdoors! I started keeping house rabbits as a newlywed in the 1980s, so I've experimented with lots of different methods over the years. I now have a comfortable method and rhythm for housing indoors. I also created a site to share my experiences which you might find useful. It discusses in more detail about litter training, setting up a litter box (what litter to use), hay types, bunny proofing, etc.

In short, many members on here like the wood pellets topped with hay for the litter box. With this set up (and with frequent additions of hay), I only need to change the litter box twice per week. It honestly doesn't smell between cleaning.

I keep my cage in the main family room (photo attached). That area is bunny proofed along with the attached dining room, kitchen, entry and hallway.

Since I am overly generous with hay, I do what others on here also do -- buy hay in bulk. I buy a full bale of timothy or Bermuda so I don't have to worry about waste.

Here's a cage I made out of an old kitchen oven cabinet. I leave the doors open all day long.

2 outside cage.jpg

I watched your cage video! I loved it! Thanks for the advice! I'll check ALL of your stuff!! :)

This is my son's Bun Jovi's room. It's a corner off his kitchen that might have been a small cubby dining area. A folded XPen makes a perfect gate across this. There are a couple of screwed in cup holder hooks to hold it to the wall. We bought a roll of indoor/outdoor carpet for $20 that we cut to fit the area and cover the linoleum, and the pickets were from home depot and we just double sided sticky stuffed them to the baseboards. She has a litter corner and even though she has almost full reign of the house, she prefers to lounge in her own room next to her fan. She is our little Diva.

My bun Blue Barry has my son's room. I had a bout of empty nest and had to fill that room when Robbie moved out. :D

Jovis room.jpg

Channahs: it looks great! That gave me some good ideas:)
Blue Eyes: I watched everything on your website. I definitely learned a lot!! I'm excited to start building a cage and getting to know my bunny even better! ;)

Back