house rabbit getting time outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaelock

Reaction score
long story short - I heard and was advised to never let a house rabbit outside because of all the dangers out there like parasites and prey animals, etc. Please clear this up for me - can an inside rabbit go outside to enjoy the sun and grass while I am out with it? I did that before when I was a child and had rabbit - but I have learned so much more now about pet bunnies so now I am second guessing everything - and the fact that the person told me to never let a house rabbit outside...

Plenty of bunnies do get outside time, you just need to make sure that his area is 100% safe for him. If he's a digger, your pen would need to have a floor so he can't dig out (assuming he'll be out there long enough to start digging). A roof would be good as well to keep out birds of prey and any stray dogs/cats that might be running around.

I've tried taking my bun out a few times and it went fine. However, I learned that he really doesn't like it - the open sky above scares him. He'd much rather sit inside near the screen door to get some breeze and sunlight without actually being outside, so that's how I deal with it.

My rabbits loves the outdoors. Until your rabbit learns to let you bring it back in, you'll want to use a pen. It's almost impossible to catch a rabbit outdoors unless it lets you. There were times when I just had to leave a rabbit loose because it didn't want in yet.

You can use kitten flea treatment but google which one because one of them is known to be safe while another have had fatalities.

Raw pumpkin seeds are a natural dewormer. To prevent intestinal parasites, give your rabbit raw pumpkin seeds as treats. You should be able to find dried pumpkin seeds in a pet store. They are also sold online as squirrel food.

It really depends on the rabbit. Some love being outside (like my Gus) and someare much happier inside 24/7. You can either take the rabbit outside on a harness and leash or give it a pen to play in. The former, you have to be outside with the rabbit, the latter you can leave them unattended for a reasonable amount of time. Just be sure, if you go the pen route, there is some covered area for your rabbit to hide in if it feels scared.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I wouldn't leave a rabbit outside unsupervised, even in a pen. A neighborhood dog could run up or a hawk could swoop in - it only takes a second.

Thanks for all of your replies and thanks for the pumpkin seed tip - they are now on my list of things to get!

I guess I'm just very cautious because I know a bun owner who had one of her buns attacked by a hawk while she was watching. The hawk didn't get the bun, but it certainly tried.

I agree, if you want/ need to leave bunny unattended outside, the pen should be roofed over for sure.
And yes, lots of buns have outside arrangements like that, especially in Europe, where many live in hutches, with a run attached. But nearly all of those I have seen, have covered runs.

It really does depend on what your rabbit likes. Hazel does not care much for going outside, though she does fine when we do take her out. White Chocolate (who looked a lot like Gus btw) absolutely loved being out. We let her run and play in our screentent, which was completely enclosed, and covered, and that was always the best part of her day.

Hi everyone!

I manage a shelter in Michigan and we advise that it is not necessary for a bunny to go outside to live a happy life.

There are many risks and you should be aware that if you are going to take your bunny outside you should be a responsible pet owner and make it the safest that you can for your pet.

I would not recommend using a pen without a top. You can even just use a sheet draped over and secured with clips to make sure the bunny cannot jump out. You should also make sure to check your rabbit over for fleas and ticks each time you take them outdoors. The mites will not be as easy to see, but you will need to treat the rabbit with Revolution if you discover any of these parasites.

Bottom line - I would not recommend you taking the bunny outside. It is not a good idea.

Good luck!

To be clear, I wasn'trecommending that the pen be left uncovered (that point was already broughtout upthread to my comment--and I'm pretty sure I've recommended it in other threads), Iwas justsuggesting an additionalcovered area because even with a screen or netting or whatever on top, the rabbit can still feel very exposed without somewhere to hide.

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Lotsa buns spend time outside unsupervised without coming to any harm. I think it's just up to each individual's comfort level.

Yep. My 2 buns are allowed outside in the back garden, even un-supervised. Theres a 10ft. concrete wall which they cant jump (obviously :p). Here in Dublin, we don't get birds of prey. The neighbours dog is a labrador mix but he is quite small so he wouldn't be able to jump it if he tried. There isn't grass so they cant burrow down and escape either

I do use Advantage for cats on my rabbits to prevent fleas, one drop per pound of rabbit. Frontline is not safe. I have my rabbits in dog kennels, and use bird netting over the top. I lock up my rabbits in their hutches at night, just to be safe. I have had to put wire down around the fencing, to keep my rabbits from digging out.

When I let my bunny out he eats the dead pinestraw, weeds, dead leaves and I try to keep the stuff raked up but he finds it! Is it safe for him to get a piece every time I let him outside?

Latest posts

Back