House pooping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwrought rabbits

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted a bit ago about rabbit potentially spraying round the house. I know everyone said to confine him to a smaller area to help, but I went the other way and now he's a free roaming bunny and I just clean up after any potential pee spots 😂 he's much happier this way so I don't mind!

He has his neutering booked in for April 12th, which should hopefully alleviate any potential spraying he might be doing by mid to late May(?) but I wanted to ask if it would also stop him doing the little house poos?

I assume this is common! He's fully litter trained and will go back in his litter tray for the big collection of poos and always to wee, but will do maybe 15 pellets a day around the house. Will this stop when his neutered or is it more of a territory thing?

If it is a territory thing is there anyway to make him feel more secure to stop this? I don't really mind picking up the poo but unfortunately due to relationship breakdown I'm having to move in with my parents for hopefully only a few months and I know they won't be at all happy about the house poos?

There are litter trays around the house as well as his cage to try and help, he has been using those but still the 15 or so daily house poos are occuring.

Thanks so much for all your help :)

I think if he's still pooping around the house despite having and using his litter trays, your probably looking at him marking his territory, which should stop when he is neutered.
Hey, at least it's not cat or dog poop which would be an awful lot worse I think 😂

^ Same here. It is the very rare rabbit indeed that is 100% with poos. 15 or so per day scattered about is actually quite good. Just keep a mini hand-broom handy.

However -- fair warning-- they tend to mark a lot more when brought to a new space. They feel the need to mark a new territory. So if you take your guy to your parents, expect more poos. It really would be best to keep him confined initially at the new place so he isn't overwhelmed and will feel more secure. If it's only for a few months, an exercise pen (or two) would probably be your best option.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies they've been really helpful! Honestly I don't really mind picking up the poos it's maybe a 3 min job and I hoover twice a day anyway so it's never bad!
I think it's might be best to try and confine him while at my parents, it's unfortunate that I can't say an exact time frame as I need to buy a new place to live, and we all know what the housing market is like 🙄

It might change after neutering but I know right now if he's confined for more than a few hours in his cage he gets proper annoyed at everything, throwing things, bar chewing, and thumping and the like. I wouldn't want to keep him confined for longer than he's comfortable with, but I get that he might have to. It's a shame he's a smart boy really!

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies they've been really helpful! Honestly I don't really mind picking up the poos it's maybe a 3 min job and I hoover twice a day anyway so it's never bad!
I think it's might be best to try and confine him while at my parents, it's unfortunate that I can't say an exact time frame as I need to buy a new place to live, and we all know what the housing market is like 🙄

It might change after neutering but I know right now if he's confined for more than a few hours in his cage he gets proper annoyed at everything, throwing things, bar chewing, and thumping and the like. I wouldn't want to keep him confined for longer than he's comfortable with, but I get that he might have to. It's a shame he's a smart boy really!
If we could just sit down and discuss all of these issues with our buns; oh how much easier it would be! But I just get this blank face and then she‘s done with my discussions! Negotiations over! But it’s okay cause I just love talking to my Minx! ❤️💕♥️🐇🐇

Latest posts

Back