Hornets Nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
John and I went out the other day, and when we came back, there was this 'alien thing' just above our garage door :shock:

When we inspected it, we discovered it was a nest, full of big, black buzzing 'things!!! There was a dead one on the ground, so we had a good look and then looked it up on the internet. Turns out, we have a nest of Bald-faced hornets attached to our garage.

Now, I don't know how quickly they can build these nests, but we are in and out the garage at least twice a day, and have never noticed it before. Anyways, we found out that they are only aggressive if their nest is disturbed. I may be crazy, but I haven't got a death wish, so no way would we disturb it. As they aren't bothering anyone (and I've stood under the nest for ages watching them) we are just going to leave it there. Apparently, most will die in the first frost, and only the Queens will survive and go and hibernate somewhere., so we will 'Live and Let Live' ;)

Anyhoo, some pictures

The position, just above our garage door

_DSC0095.jpg

Close - ups

_DSC0090.jpg

_DSC0091.jpg

Bald-faced hornet

dell.jpg

Jan

That looks like a bit, scary nest! I wouldn't disturb it either. I would call in the professionals asap if I were you. I'm frightened to death around flying, stinging things.

Ohhh god. Horrible childhood memories about those things. They are VICIOUS. Worse than other hornets. We had some build a basketball sized nest under our steps going up to our house when I was a kid, and it was all kinds of horrible. That said, they may have only been so terrible because I was "disturbing their nest" by walking on my doorsteps. The other time we got swarmed was when some idiot hit a nest in a tree with a baseball bat (hurrrdurhurr- boy fun, I guess).

oh, i only had a nest of normal wasps and they were nightmares! but horents... poor you! i also heard they are quite bad. i would call in poffesional help.
(for the wasp nest.. my dad tried to get rid of it...):rofl: stupid dad..
good luck

most wasps make it out of wood fibres and paper and stuff.
its quite a masterpiece

I would agree with the live and let live policy, their nest is a feat of structural engineering and beauty.
I wouldn't bother with professionals, though my advice would be not to stand to close to the nest during or just after the garage door is opened.

Keep us updated if the nest gets bigger! Mid-winter I would suggest carefully dislodging it, spraying the hell out of it with bug spray and then opening it up and exploring it if you want. If not deposit it in the bin and be rid of it.

i saw that on the tv.. inside i class.
enggineers of the insect world! lol
yeh, when its near winter, begone with it. but its your choice though

We used to get those "paper wasp" nests by us. They loved to eat the split-rail fencing in our yard, then make monstrous nests. My dad, being the intelligent, Midwestern man that he is, would go and "bug bomb" the nests with spray, then run away, flailing his arms as they swarmed him. He would repeat this process a few times, then remove the nest when most were dead, or in the nest, then burn it. I've also heard that putting smoke near a nest makes them quite calm (beekeepers do this). Once a frost hits, I would remove it. Actually, I'd wait until it actually snows/freezes, then poke at it with a stick to get it down (I'm not too bright sometimes, either). :p Well, "enjoy" your guests while you have them! :p

irishlops wrote:
its quite a masterpiece
Yes, it's paper and/or mashed up wood pulp, and definitely a work of art :). They are constantly working on it. The other night I groomed Jester outside, and the hornets were picking up some fur :shock:

Yeah, I'm going to leave it until winter before moving it. I read that after the hornets go, birds sometimes take it apart and eat whatever grubs are left inside :yuck

Kelly, I had to laugh at the visions of your dad bombing it, then running for his life - then doing it again :p

Jan

Ooh er. That's a very scary prospect. Not so much the nest, but the fact you might have a queen hibernating somewhere. Imagine if she hibernated in your bed! Not that I'm being over dramatic or anything :p

Isn't this most people's worst nightmare lol! I admire you for letting them be as, so far they aren't causing any harm. If they do then I guess it's time to call in the professionals.
Are garden is currently swarming with wasps because the apples are falling off the trees and they go crazy for the sugar in them!

LuvaBun wrote:
irishlops wrote:
its quite a masterpiece
Yes, it's paper and/or mashed up wood pulp, and definitely a work of art :).
Don't forget wasp spit! :p

Kelly, I had to laugh at the visions of your dad bombing it, then running for his life - then doing it again :p
Yeah... He has done that several times... Several different years. One year, we even had video of him doing the "bee slapping dance". ;) Ahh, good childhood memories!

As far as it goes, do not attempt to disturb it or cause damage to the nest. It will cause the hornets to be very nasty and attack, as they will defend their nest. However, it is not a good idea to leave it until the winter hoping it will go away. They will be a nuisance to you and the neighbourhood and the chance to be stung if they continue to thrive. I can ask Robert (the cat trap person) who shouldknow how to handle wasps and hornets.

KILL KILL KILL DIE DIE DIE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :bawl::bawl:

There are not many things that scare me. Snakes, spiders, sharks... bring them on! They're beautiful and wonderful and deserve to live as much as I do...But when it comes to bees, wasps, or hornets I am not a "live and let live" kind of girl. :grumpy:

I have been attacked without cause more times than I care to think about and frankly I just hate the darn buggers. I call the professionals in and go take in a movie because I don't even want to be within 10 city blocks from the things.

t.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Jan, I am surprised you have a phobia with butterflies and avoid them at all costs, but can stand under a nest full of hornets. :D
:shock::shock:OMG - if it were butterflies or moths I would have moved house :shock: (good to 'see' you again, Stan :hug:). I actually like bees and wasps. I rescue both if they are trapped inside somewhere )I know, I'm strange :p)

It's OK - I discussed it with my neighbour and they think to leave it as well. We are all amazed at how quickly it appeared, though :shock2:. And no worries about disturbing it - no chance of that.

Tracy - you are going to have me checking my bed for hibernating Queens (that sounds really odd!)

Jan

Holy Bee's! :shock:

I was expecting to see pictures of some small nest. Imagine my surprise seeing that monster of a hive! I nearly fell out of my chair.

Leaving it alone sounds like a good idea. :thumbup

LuvaBun wrote:
Tracy - you are going to have me checking my bed for hibernating Queens (that sounds really odd!)
:thumbup

Back