hoping to become a bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samantha22

Reaction score
hey
me and my partner are looking into buying a lovely little bunny soon. we ideally want a small bunny that isnt going to molt too much! we also plan to keep him as a house bunny. would a mini rex or a netherland dwarf be ideal for me?
id appreciate any advice :)

I don't know a lot about mini rexes, but I would guess that because of their unique fur their molting might not be as bad. This is just stipulation, don't take it as fact unless someone verifies that for me. I would also recommend you look into Holland Lops, they're not very big at all and I've heard they're absolutely wonderful rabbits, sweet personality, like a dog. I have a fuzzy lop and she's also a great bun, but if you're worried about fur, fuzzy lops are NOT for you. :)

I guess I should probably note that I haven't heard the greatest things about netherland dwarf rabbits. I've heard they can be pretty mean. Of course this doesn't apply to every rabbit in the breed! A lot of things factor into that, being around people a lot, being spayed/neutered, that particular bunny's personality.

Netherlands can be good. I recommend a buck because they are usually sweeter than a doe (But not always the case). Either of those three breeds are great.

As always mix bunnies from shelters are good too :)

Hi there and welcome to RO!

I too would recommend that you look into shelters for a rabbit that meets your needs!

We have a Netherland Dwarf and she's sweet :) We had her spayed when she was around 4 months. She's definitely not a 'cuddle' bun, but now that she's approaching her first birthday (and is coming out of the teen stage) she's becoming more willing to sit still for some petting! She's not mean--never bitten us or anything. She's very active, too, and it's fun watching her run around. She's only shed a bit in the last year and it's not too bad (they have fairly short hair).

Let us know what you end up with!

You are correct that the molting of a Mini Rex is nothing compared to a French Lop, Holland Lop or New Zealand. Keep us posted on the new addition to the family!

Hello and welcome!

If you are looking for specific size and fur type, I'd highly recommend looking at rescues. There you will be able to see the full size your bunny will get and it will likely already be neutered/spayed. Their personalities seem more evident once they are fixed, so you'll have a good idea of what your bunny is like. Plus you won't have the heartache and hassle (and expense) of neutering.

The rescue should also be able to tell you about the shedding habits of their rabbits too.

Someone else may be able to verify or contradict this, but I did once hear that rexes are more delicate and not ideal for a new bunny owner.

There are adorable mixes at the rescues.;)

I got Teddy at a shelter. I couldn't recommend adopting enough! Get an adult rabbit, you can skip those pesky teenage years. ;) Plus, you'll be saving the life of a poor homeless bun. Everybunny needs a home! :bunnyheart

Definitely rescue :) I should have when I was looking to get a bun, but I have Cosmo now and I'm happy. :) If I decide to get a second bun I'm definitely going to a rescue.

Body feels not good, then go to the hospital for examination, the doctor asked X-rayed, X-ray,Cheap WOW Gold MD wrote diagnosis, and then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head, his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "MapleStory Mesos

i agree with looking at a shelter in LA they are even trying to pass a law where bunnies cant be sold in pet stores. while i cant say thats right it may be the best because a lot of people give up buns that they impulse bought. shelters are a greta place to look for animals and some even try to litter train them. you also have the ability to meet the bun and spend soe time with it and sometimes the people there will know more about the buns personality.

whats more important than the type of bun is their personality i think. if youa re looking for a smaller bun like ashtin said holland lops are very sweet ive had several. but i wish you luck on getting your new bun! they require lots of time and patience! but they are worth all of it.

and jennifer i completely agree i dont even know what that is all about! i read it and i was like..... wtf? what?! huh!? how annoying.

I think that might be the same horses you know what that has put these same ads in "Rainbow Bridge" posts. Any time I see them, I send a not to the admin with their name and exactly where it was posted to. I really hate sharing air with scum like this. I certainly wish there was a button or a portion at the top with "problem" that would send it right to an administrator--in fact, I'll suggest it to them as guess what I'm doing next when I finish this post? Report this pond scum. Now as to the original topic, all bunnies shed, but our rexes probably shed the least and Hollands are also great personality wise just like our rexes.

Latest posts

Back