Hope is driving me insane!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellissian

Reaction score
The last week or so Hope has turned really destructive, she is driving me mad! :grumpy:

At least 4 times a day she is really trashing her cage, digging all the fleece up, ripping the newspaper to shreds, eating the protective flooring I have underneath and getting through to my carpet. She throws all her toys, bed, food bowl, water bowl all over.

She has plenty of toys to chew, dig and play with. But she prefers to destroy everything!

Is this normal doe behaviour? She does'nt get constant floor time like Milly did as she is naughty and ruins things then, but she does at least get a couple of hours a day.

She will however act like a perfect bunny when she is on my lap, snuggling, tooth purring and licking......then for no apparent reason she will bite quite hard!

She is driving me insane!

Sorry for the long post just needed to rant.......

Sakura does this too :X, recently her favourite thing has been to chuck her water dish around :grumpy:. I'm not sure if it's changes to her surroundings or her age. I just shifted things around in her area and added a rug outside of the cage and three times she chucked her water on it. She's also now maturing at four and a half months old so that may have something to do with it.

She wont be naughty when I'm watching so yesterday I hid and as soon as she thought I was gone, she grabbed her water dish and flinged it at the rug, then did a victory binky :shock:! Then as soon as she saw me she was all "oh mummy some mean person chucked water everywhere, pat me, love me! I'm so upset!"

I never quite understand why they want to destroy their stuff, just wanted to say I can sympathise with you. Naughty Hope!

Edited to add, she wont chuck it if there is no water in it. She's knows darn well she's being naughty!

Lol thats so funny, Sakura definately knows what she's doing! :D

Hope will do it infront of me she does'nt care! When I tell her no she stops for a few seconds then carries right on.

Brackens the same! It must just be a doe thing. I love her to bits but recently she has been even more distructive and runs away when I go near her:(I think it might be something to do with her age. Sometimes I get so angry with her, she jumped up on the shelves yesterday and destroyed some books that my grandad gave me before he died, I was really upset but I know its my fault and I should have moved them. At the end of the day I think to myself, shesa little rabbit and doesn't understand things the way we do, alls I can do is my best and try and make her happy.:)

~Hannah,Bracken&Warren~

Hee Hee! Little Hope the naughty girl! She and Emmaline must be in the chat room sharing secret ways to make us crazy.

Emmaline is the exact same way. She's been like that since she was about 6 months, and she is now 2 years. I think I remember Gingivere being a terror, too, but she seemed to calm down at some point.Unfortunately, I can't remember when that was.

Most days I am convincedthat Emmaline just likes living like a pig. She lives to throw things and tear things. Poor Pipkin...he just watches her. Well, what he really does is chew up what she first destroys. She's the "tearer upper, tosser" and he is the "buzz saw chewer." Together I think they could bring this house down in less than a day. :p But at least Pipkin stops and lets me pick him up and correct him. (Not that he cares about the lectures I give him...because correcting usually involves cuddling!) Emmaline, though, KNOWS how naughty she is and will run like the wind when I try to catch her after she's been bad. Actually, she runs from me when she's not been bad. She loves to antagonize me by getting away from me...especially when I NEED to catch/cage her so I can go to work. I am SURE she is laughing at me the entire time.

I do have a room that I have pretty much bunny-proofed that works for Gingivere and Emmaline (let's just see Emm try to toss a full-sized mattress). But I don't usually leave Pipkin out unsupervised for too long...he likes to eat ALL sizes of furniture. Aren't bunnies FUN?!? :bunnydance:

(Oh, Bracon, Pipkin just did a similar thing to me this week...ate the binding of 2 books...one a brand new hardcover and the other one of my mom's books she loaned me :shock:...but I, too, KNEW I should have moved them and just didn't...who can remember that the bunny CAN JUMP UP ON THE DRESSER!!!)

Okay, so none of this solves your "problem"...but at least you know you're not alone in living with bunny terrorists.

-Mary Ellen

(P.S. Louise seems to be doing quite well. I confer with the vet today to review her bloodwork.)

I'm so glad I'm not alone, I'm starting to think it is a doe thing after all! :shock: Hopefully after she is spayed she will settle down, thats my theory anyway. :D

(I'm so happy Louise is doing well, let me know what happens today.:))

Teresa was pretty destructive but once spayed calmed down. I have heard some rabbits can be like that for awhile even spayed and neutered for awhile. At least until 2-3 yrs old.

Oh I hope she doesn't stay like this for 2-3 years, my vet will spay her when she is 6 months old......thats only 2 months away.

She is layed out now, like butter would'nt melt......looks so angelic! :D

Sorry, but I think Gingivere was probably around 3 when she finally calmed down. But her "calmness" kind of coincided with the time she lost her mate...so I wasn't certain which thing mellowed her personality (age or loss).

Well, at least Emmaline will be a zany woman for about another year...then Hope will have a twin in the US!

I must be crazy considering a 4th bunny... :biggrin2:

My boy riley, (he is 3 months, got him 3 days ago,) is kindof destructive, he likes things his own way and the first day i had him he was tipping over his litter box and re-arranging it. Though ever since i attached it to the cage ever so TIGHTLY, he hasn't tipped it over!:yes:

He also runs away from me when i try to pet him when he is out of the cage, but he is fine when he is IN the cage or ON the couch! Maybe thats because i literally just got him so...

well i agree that maybe once she is spayed she will be a bit calmer and less destructive! Good luck!!

The only think she doesn't ruin and throw around is her litter box......I'm quite happy about that one!:)

I wonder if her previous filthyliving conditions may addher behaviour.:?

ellissian wrote:
The only think she doesn't ruin and throw around is her litter box......I'm quite happy about that one!:)

I wonder if her previous filthyliving conditions may addher behaviour.:?
Just wait until Emm & Pipkin email her their secrets for litter box rearranging!
kaos-animal-bunny-smiley-6084.gif

ellissian wrote:
Well, there's only one thing for it then! Hope is officiallybarred off the computer until further notice!;):p

Did you hear that Pipkin? A challenge! Hehehe! We'll find a way to chat with her. Perhaps we should book that cruise to the UK. Hmm...

Back