Homeschooling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score

I went to speak with the school psychiatrist today--she is not my guidance counselor, but she was very close with my brother and sister when they were in high school, so I always pay her a visit..

I asked her to pull up all of my grades for this past marking period and the scores on the tests from last week.. I passed all of my tests except for Math..BUT I failed Global for the second time, English for the first time and Math for the first time, and I passed Science with a 68 which is 3 points over the failing grade..
I am in the same Math (Integrated Algebra) as I was in last school year because I had failed sooo badly..

Well, I don't have much of a social life in school, I do have friends, but I dont really see them and they are all graduating this year..
And any other friends I have are just people in my classes in my grade, but they distract me TERRIBLY from doing what I am supposed to do.. and even when I am not in class with friends--I am distracted because I have severe ADD and I have a really hard time learning new things..
Our plan is to get me into a Distinct class which is amath class where they allow you to grow on what you already know, rather than fill you with more information that is almost impossible for you to grasp on to.. So that is our plan for next year..
But then I think--this is my schedule:
Science
Free
Free
Free
Independent Spanish(im fluent so I take the class alone, no teacher)
Lunch
Global
Math
English

well that is a very empty schedule and it will be worse next year because I wont be taking Spanish and there are no electives that I havent already taken..So I will have only 4 classes in the day and 5 Free classes..and I will have to be in school the whole time-I cannot leave..

So now to my main point..
Why will I go to school where I have NO Social Life that I care about, I am NOT learning, I am ALWAYS distracted, I have NO classes, NO electives I can take..NOTHING....I have decided that I would like to be Homeschooled..
I know there is a few people on here that home school their kids or have in the past, and I want to know everyones opinions...
It is $840 a year with the program I will show my mom..My mother wont be homeschooling me, most likely my aunt or my 21 year old cousin will be doing it because they dont work...

I know there are alot of kids that would do anything to get out of school and be home schooled because they think that it will give free time.--but thats not at all why I am doing it.. I am doing it because with the rate I am going at, I will be dropping out end of this school year in June, and thats not the move I want to make, but I dont want to be in school because I just dont learn.. I dont want to end up working at a lowlife, cheap pay job--I want a future, and I want to be smart and happy...And right now I feel like a loser..

I think that being home schooled will allow me to get the attention I need and allow me to be more focused and to learn more..
At this point, I am high risk for not being able to graduate on time..I am high risk for dropping out(at 17 you dont need parental consent/at 16 your parent must sign a sheet allowing you to drop out)

I need help..I dont care about having the free time... I come home everyday after school and stay home on the weekends...At 2:25 I turn my phone off and it stays off until the next morning before school.. I also turn it off every weekend..I do this because I dont really like to hang out outside of school with alot of the people in my school.. Most of them are up to no good and I dont want to associate myself with them and get into trouble.. It may sound stupid, but its how I keep myself in line....

SO I need everyones opinions on the subject...
Was home schooling hard?
Was it fun?
Did it take alot of time?
Was it a good idea?

If you could do it all over, would you have put your child into a public or private school, or would you have stuck with home schooling??

Any other information would be great!!!!!

f anyone asks--I dont take the medication for the ADD because the only prescription I got was for ridolin, and I dont believe in that--I have other methods of trying to focus..the ridolin did NOTHING for me..

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!

And none of this would start until next school year in September...

I've been homeschooling my kids for 10 years. Homeschooling works for some people, not so much for others. The time involved averages 4-5 hours per day.

I first started homeschooling my daughter because she was being bullied in school and wanted to commit suicide. She's now living in AZ and going to college. She's very outgoing.

My son Ryan had problems no matter what he did, so I don't think either way really could make a difference with some of the more serious problems he's dealt with. He's brilliant when it comes to motor skills & math - just doesn't like the books and dropped out of college. He's a loner and seems to prefer being that way.

I'm still homeschooling Matthew. He's in 5th grade and has never been to public school. Homeschooling him isfun and it's exciting to see him enjoying learning. Matthew wants to experience everything in life.

Homeschooling is more fun if it's interactive and engages your interest - working with someone else, science experiments, projects, etc.

Personally, as also being a student, I got more out of classes that I was actually in than I got from online classes. Some students get bored with internet learning or just doing reading and notebooks.

I know some homeschooled kids who are very intelligent, attending major colleges and doing great. It's nice to have the option to homeschool and some students excel when they homeschool.

I was homeschooled throughout highschool as I wasn't able to attend due to health reasons. I've done a few different methods of homeschooling from doing homework at home but provided through my old high shcool, correspondence(filling in course booklets and sending them in) and I also attended a Cyber school(a regular highshcool but everything is done at home over the computer, you have teachers and other kids in your classes) and something called "center high" which was they would give me booklets and I had to go a couple times a week to this place(an office, aka school) and hand them in or get help if needed. Out of the 4 I've done the cyber school program was the best and easiest to work with.

I was a very good honors student but found it much more difficult learning at home rather then in the classroom.You have to be super self motivated and work well without much instruction. I was lucky because my mom is a teacher and ALL our family friends are teachers. So if I needed help in math I could ask our family friend who was a highschool math teacher but most aren't taht lucky. I dont' think I could have done it without all the extra help, and even as it was it took me longer to graduate then my friends. My grades were also worse then when I was in school but I was working harder.

Things like learning math and chemistry were the hardest for me through homeschooling. My parents couldn't be much help as they didn't know how to do the math either and it was extremely hard having to teach yourself chemistry. I learned most of it by trial and error and had to figure it out by just reading the book, no one is there to teach you or show you how. My friends were a great help as they explained how the teacher was showing them how to do it.

So my suggestion to you is to talk to your school before thinking homeschooling is the answer. It is a LOT of work and its a lot harder then learning with teachers and things like class discussions. Your school might have suggestions on how to change your schedule, or there might be another school better suited for you. Now there are lots of different types of schools, so just because one highschool isn't working doens't mean there isn't a better suited one out there. Talk to your cousillor and talk to the principal, ask what your options might be. Ask what forms of homeschooling your area offers. There might be a cyber school or something similar in your area.

So I wasn't home schooled but I did go to an independent study school which is pretty similar. I'm 19 now and in college (just for some background information).

My independent study school was incredible. I went to a "campus" of sorts three days a week and had one hour with a teacher a week. From there I was given about 10 hours of work to do on my own. It was basically homeschooling but with professional teachers. The sessions were great because I got to have an hour of one on one for every subject and two for math and science. It was incredible for me. I learned SO SO much.

My teachers were really really good. It was really hard work. You have to be super disciplined to be able to actually get the work done yourself and you have to be good at learning yourself.

I would imagine homeschooling is much the same way, probably even a little harder because the teachers arnt necessarily professionals. All I'm saying is you have to be able to learn yourself using a textbook. My school really didn't work for everyone, but for some kids it was perfect.

I guess my point is that I would really evaluate weather or not you are going to be able to stay focused. I know that its hard for people when they have their laptops, no teachers to yell at them, a TV, pets, and all this other stuff to do.

It was hard for me sometimes. I had to make a time table to insure I spent at least an hour a day studying for each subject. I wouldn't change a thing about my independent study school, but really, unless you are committed to actually getting stuff done you wont.

I know you mentioned that you don't care about a social life, but I would think about that too. Even if you dont think you like your classmates or dont think you care about being with people your own age, it does to some extent matter. Even just being around people is good for your mental health. I was super social in high school, so the independent study worked for me becuase I hung out with friends just about every day. If I hadn't been able to do that it would really have been a bad thing psychologically. Make sure to get out of the house everyday and do SOMETHING around people.

Was it hard: My program was very very hard. Teaching yourself calculus and chemistry cannot possibly be easy. Even if you do have top of the line teachers to tutor you every week. However, I learned a ton and I was really prepared for college. That being said it depends on the program. I know other kids with other programs who had a really easy time and learned nothing.

Was it fun: Yep. I loved studying out in the sunshine, not spending 6 hours in a classroom and getting to visit my other regular schooled friends during their lunch times. There was a big group of us in the program and we actually had a blast together.

Did it take a lot of time: yes it did. So much time. But I think thats how it has to be. Learning is just a long process.

Was it a good idea: for me it was.

I would make sure there isnt some kind of independent study program in your area. I think there is a lot to be said for having professional teachers. I'm not sure what kind of educational background your aunt has, but unless shes like a trained professor she might not be able to help you with hard subjects.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. I'm kinda a huge advocate of my schooling type. Its not "homeschooling" but its sorta similar. I would just really do some soul searching about weather or not you really think you can learn so independently. Cause it would be great not to have to go to a regular school, but if you aren't actually learning what you need to know there is no point.

To be completely honest a good homeschooling or independent study program will be harder than a regular high school. You should be learning as much as the other kids, but with less help. That's all there really is to it. Its not for everyone.

Sorry for such an enormous message, its just a big subject.

PS: degrassi, it sounds like you and I had sorta a similar experience. Chemistry was SO HARD by yourself! I haven't met many other people (besides the other kids in my program) who's experiences I could related to.

Luluznewz- Your independent study school sounds similar to the "center high" thing I took. I would go a few hours a week to the office/school and be able to talk to teachers, have access to resources etc and they would give me work to do for the week.

[align=center]
Best thing that ever happened to me. http://pennfoster.com/diploma/index.html
[/align]
I've also taken a course through Penn foster, after high school. I took their vet assistant course just for fun. It is an ok online school but you have to realize their certificates/diplomas don't really mean too much. Most places(jobs) dont' recognize them as actually certificates/diplomas. So just because you have a "highschool diploma" from penn foster doesn't mean its equal to an actual highschool diploma and might not be enough to get certain jobs or into university/college. Like my "vet assistant" certificate really means nothing. It wouldn't help me get a vet assistant job, or other animal related job, as its not recognized as an actual certificate,degree or diploma. Their courses(along with other "online job schools") are ok educational tools to get general knowledge in a subject but I wouldn't use them as a substitute for an actual education.

I"m not sure about the states but here in Canada there is a difference between a GED(or highschool cert. like above) and a actual high school diploma. It will be harder to get into universities and jobs with a GED and some won't even consider you if you have only that.

I"m not sure about the states but here in Canada there is a difference between a GED(or highschool cert. like above) and a actual high school diploma. It will be harder to get into universities and jobs with a GED and some won't even consider you if you have only that.

Here in the States it's certified as an actual high school diploma, just like if I got it from a public high school. I've already covered all those bases and contacted colleges and they have all agreed that it is a normal high school diploma and not a GED. Maybe the standards are lower here but it's just as easy to get a job even without a high school diploma or a GED and it's easy to get into college with just your GED. You get put on 'probation' I think and if your grades slip to much you get booted, but you get in none the less.

Most universities generally accept homeschooler's GEDs without any problem as homeschooling is becoming more popular in the US.

We use Abeka curriculum. It's college prep, so the high school level is rather challenging, but I've enjoyed using their materials.

I don't have any advice to offer since I'm not homeschooled, but good luck! I would say have someone that will really push you into working and studying, because I know if it was me, I would be so easily distracted and without someone pushing me, would probably do very little work.

That is why I like my school, the teachers really care about the students, and if you aren't working, they come down on you like a ton of bricks and won't get off your back till you bring up your grades.

Thanks everyonee for the detailed information!

I left the website up on my moms computer last night so she could look into it..
She is proud that I really want to pursue something like this because I know I need to, but she was also really upset..
I struggled alot last school year and I set high standards for myself this year.. I did well in a few classes in the beginning of the year, but did terrible after that..

I am really hoping that there is a strong possibility that I will be able to be homeschooled..

I dont want to pressure my mom but, IF we cannot get me into homeschooling, I will be dropping out..

More responses would be nice :)

NOW I actually would like some posts that could be directed at my mom..maybe in a pro/con list...

That would help me out too :D

Latest posts

Back