Homemade Rabbit Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helena

Reaction score
I need a substitute for rabbit pellets. I was wondering if y’all knew any good recipes. I am not leaving my bun on this forever. I just need a substitute for pellets for a few days. I was on one website and there was a homemade pellet recipe on it but then she started listing stuff that was okay for rabbits to eat. Ha ha and no it wasn’t. She listed foods that bunnies should NOT eat as okay foods. Hoping y’all can help. Also what is a good adult rabbit pellet brand? I’m not looking to go broke but I’ll pay what I must.
Thanks in advance!

If your rabbit is a good hay eater and gets daily greens, it isn't really a big deal if he goes without pellets for a few days. The pellets should only make up such a tiny bit of his diet anyway.

It isn't really worth it to try to make anything because switching types of pellets usually requires a slow transition anyway. One is supposed to mix the old pellets with the new over a period of a week so their tummy can get used to the new. If you are totally out of his usual pellets, you won't be able to do that.

As for brand of pellets, you can take a look here to see some recommendations. Just bear in mind that even if the bag seems pricey, one should only be using 1/4 cup per day anyway. That means it will last a long time. Even with the higher price pellets, it should end up being just about $5/month for pellets.

Thanks! Also hard to find 'greens' in winter with lottttsssss of snow. :D
I do give her timothy hay and fresh foods.

Thanks! Also hard to find 'greens' in winter with lottttsssss of snow. :D
I do give her timothy hay and fresh foods.

No snow where I am!! :p
By 'greens' though, I mean things like green leaf lettuce, basil, cilantro, romaine...

Even though we have mild weather, my basil garden goes dead in winter and I have to buy lettuce from the store. I love it when my garden is green and I don't have to buy stuff.

:DNot for replacement of pellets but I have made many snacks and treats for my buns! If you have any alfalfa hay or whatever they like grind it in the food processor two handfuls or so. Then I add dried apples, carrots, add just enough water to completely combine and lay it on parchment paper over a cookie sheet. 200 degrees for 1 hour. Let it dry and cut/chop/or break it into pieces, great for getting to know your bunny snacks. They get a treat and it’s still good for them.

Watch this LennontheBunny video! I'm sure it will help you a TON!
About pellets, watch @ 2:17 to 2:44

The Lennon the Bunny video above is a good one. Just be cautious with some of her other videos as she has some videos with some poor, some wrong and/or questionable advice. She is quite new to rabbits and bases some of her advice on her experience with her one rabbit. The more rabbits one has had, the more one knows how very different they can be. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Latest posts

Back