Homemade Bunnie Biscuts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PuterGeekGirl wrote:
My kids love these!!! I even pureed in some fresh greens!
I added craisins and raisins, too! Next time I'll add some papaya.

You could probably use baby food instead of pureeing, as well.

They freeze well. I'm going to make a big batch and freeze individual packs.

I plan on eliminating most treats from my buns diets, but will be giving them a brownie every week or so.

Well I went and bought a food processor for justthis purpose (sad huh?) So pureeing is fine! ;) I froze abunch too and they get them every so often. Even gave somesamples and the recipe to Corky's vet! His critters loved em too!

i made these a few weeks ago...freddy went nutsover them! i stuck craisins in them like lil choc. chips and when he'deat them he pick out the craisins first and then eat thecookie! i used apple in mine, b/c freddy doesntlike carrots (yes i know i have a wierd rabbit).....heh i stuck thepellets n oatsin a plastic baggie and beat 'emwitha meat cleaver...think my mom wanted to kill me lol ... iwas a lil dissapointed at how fast they spoiled even in a air tightcontainer in the fridge.. i didnt even think of freezing..silly me .. iwould so eat them if they didnt have the pellets... they looked likelil mini granola bars

lucylocket wrote:
does anyone no what a 1/4 of a cup is

its just we dont measure like this in the uk

varna xxxx
Varna,

You can by 'measuring cups' like measuring spoons (but bigger) I got some for christmas. I think they sell them in Debenhams

Robyn

I've done my fair share of bunny baking -- mostly playing with things trying to make it work. One thing I've figured out, instead of grinding your own pellets, you can sift out the ones from the bottom of your pellet bag. I usual sift them before putting them in a rubbermaid container to prevent all that dust at the bottom, then I collect the pellet dust and store it for future use (also good to keep in your bunny first aid kit for syringe feeding). You can do the same with rolled oats but it's a little more messy.

samixXx wrote:
im going to try these the sound yummy

The bunnies certainly think they are!!;)

I made a batch over the weekend and the buns went nuts!!
The hardest part is having to look at those poor-pathetic-begging-bunnie-faces for HOURS after they finish them.

jim

We make biscuits for the kids the same way, we do a half and half with ground up Martins pellets and rolled oats. Then we add pureed pumkin, apple sauceor some other yummy baby food flavor for moisture.
We grind up our Rabbit Flour in advance and keep it in labelled Mason jars to make it easier and faster to make them! When we grind up the flour we make 3 different kinds. We have a Herb flour...with dried basil, sage and lovage ground in. We have the Spice flour that we use for the apple sauce cookies...with a little tiny bit of cinnamon, and nutmeg. And we have the Plain flour that we use for the pumpkin cookies.:D

So far the herb cookies are the biggest hit!:D We bought little cookie cutters too so that all the flavors have a different shape! Yup, Dani and Tony need to get out and meet normal people! LOL;)

Gordon wrote:
These sound absolutely scrumptious! I think I'd have to try some myself! :D

Ya know....

I think this recipe actually started out as one for hoomins ;)
Just substitute flour for the pellets.

I can't claim anything on this. I got it from someone else (HRS?) and modified it a little.:biggrin2:
Kicked it up with some raisins and/or craisins. And using babyfood makes the prep and cleanupa lot easier.

And I baked them like brownies and skipped the parchment paper stuff. I just mushed the mix into a throw-away aluminum pan (a meatloaf sized one worked great for the amount). I also scored it into 1/2" X 1/2"pieces before baking, so it would break apart easier. The recipe makesabout 2 doz.

These freeze up well, so I make a couple of batches and always have some stashed away for the buns.
They love them right out of the freezer on a warm day.

A couple of my buns can't have them because they get the runs......same thing happen to them with any fruits or veggies, though.

I recommend giving them just a bit at first see how they do.

Well, especially since my two guys are going to the vet for check-ups on Monday morning, I think it would be a nice treat for them, and maybe even help them associate good things with the visit. :)

I can't cook for my life, but I like baking! I'm going to make some of these today, they sound wonderful! I don't know how to puree though, so I guess I'll go out and buy baby food. And I don't have a coffee grinder LOL But pounding them sounds like it can work. Thanks for posting this!!

gwhoosh wrote:
I can't cook for my life, but I like baking! I'm going to make some of these today, they sound wonderful! I don't know how to puree though, so I guess I'll go out and buy baby food. And I don't have a coffee grinder LOL But pounding them sounds like it can work. Thanks for posting this!!

Baby food works well !!

You can try sifting out the pellets, too. I can usually get a good amount and then I don't have to crush as much.

And use the throw-away pans!!:biggrin2:

Oh! How much baby food should you use then? Not sure how much equals a small carrot / half a banana >.< (I'm a math person, things need to be precise for us!!)

Instead of the carrot, I used some applesauce. A few tablespoons should be enough to equal a small pureed carrot.

And a small jar of babyfood would be enough to equal a half ananner.
I pick up a couple of jars to keep on hand in my emergency treatment kit, too.

Start out by mixing the dry stuff and then add liquids a little at a time to get a mushy mix....not runny.
I let the mix sit for just a little while and then add a little more liquids if needed.

You should be able to handle it enough to roll it out of the bowl and into a pan....kind of like a cookie dough.
Oh yeah.....you have to yell; "BINKY !!!" when you put it in the oven.:expressionless

Oh man I forgot to yell BINKY and now they're all messed up!! No serious I think I burned them LOL. How are they supposed to look like?? Incidentally, my bunny doesn't seem inclined to taste it, but she's a pretty picky treat eater so I'll give her some time before declaring it a disaster ;)

Latest posts

Back