Holy hay batman!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morquinn

Reaction score
Just wondering if its normal for my baby bun to eat so much hay!? I put a good handful in there a couple times a day, on top of that she eats her pellets as well. She doesnt seem to like the hard/sharp pieces but picks out the grassier type peices if that makes sense. Its ok for her to eat that much isnt it, since I read hay should be readily available at all times. Just wanna make sure she is getting what she needs but wasnt sure if it was possible to over-do it.

Haha yeah, my handfuls are like..3 handfuls since it all kinda sticks together, pretty much done with the dinky hay rack she just tears into it and it all falls down anyways, I just started putting it in piles next to the litter pan. Just wanted to make sure there was no such thing as too much cuz she sure loves it!

Haha I usually stuff a few days worth into my guys hay rack.
Have you thought of trying Orchard grass instead of regular timothy hay? If your bun likes the grassier bits, there will be a lot less waste with the orchard grass as it's a lot softer with less hard stems in it.
I wouldn't be concerned about hay eating :p its when she stops eating it we want to be worried.

They really need unlimited hay and limited pellets. As for liming the grassier pieces, every bun is different. My Melody prefers the stalky stuff more than the leafy stuff. But my foster likes the leafy stuff.

yeah, there's no such thing as too much hay! a bunny should eat a *minimum* of a pile of hay the same volume as their own body per day.

Back