holly forgot what her litter box is for

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy052104

Reaction score
The last few weeks or so Holly has been drivingus crazy. She seems to think that her litter box is for digging in. Sheproceeds to dig out all her litter, which she will later pee on onceit's out of the box. We plan to get a mesh something to put over thetop of her litterbox but until we can find one does anyone have anysuggestions on what we can do to get her to stop?? we tried giving hera box with ripped up newspaper in, which sheended up usititfor her litterbox instead.

I'm wondering how old she is? And if she's been spayed?

I think your putting mesh over the litter is a good idea - also makinga digging box for her. My bun also loves to chew and dig grass mats.That keeps her entertained for hours.

IN themeantime maybe you can try putting thelitter in a high sided box and cut the front off it so she can getin? That way even if she digs the high sides of the box cankeep it in - or atleast contain the litter so it's not a mess...

Good luck

What kind of litter are you using? I know some are more fun for bunnies to dig in than others ;)

A stitching screen works well to cover the litter. Other than that, using a larger cat litter box also helps!

Good Luck!

Hi! daisy052104

You can buy 1/2'' X 1/2''hardwarecloth at Home Depot or Lowes for about $4.00 for a ten footroll. Cut a piece about three inches bigger than your litterandthen cut the corner and bend down at the 3 in. marks. Itwill setabove the litter and keep Bunnies from digging!:wave:

MikeE.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"

ec wrote:
I'm wondering how old she is? And if she's been spayed?

I think your putting mesh over the litter is a good idea - also makinga digging box for her. My bun also loves to chew and dig grass mats.That keeps her entertained for hours.
She's about 1 and a half and spayed. She's always been really goodabout using her box, every now and then we'd have these digging spellsbut this one is not stopping. She proceeds to "bulldoze" the litterwhen it's out of the box and push it all over in her cage. When we lefther over night for Christmas we put down a blanket with cardboard boxesover the top of it and when we came home she hadn't done anything atall in her litter box and peed on the cardboard. Could she be doingthis to get attention at all??

yes, she could be - the part about leaving her overnight makes me think so.

Also, if she's not quite making it with her litterbox in a consistentway, she might have some other things going on - a urinary tractinfection, for example. If that's the case (as opposed to her peeing tomark things as hers), I'd get her to a good rabbit vet.

ec wrote:
yes, she could be - the part about leaving her overnight makes me think so.
but she's been doing it for longer than when we were gone.that's what I dont get. We're in the process of moving so she doesntget out as much as she did before, and we've been trying togive Punkin some attention b/c we feel that she gets left out. Punkinis about 6 mo. old and not spayed yet. Could Holly be reacting toPunkin entering her teen years??? The two of them are not bonded at allyet.

Have you been moving things into or out of theroom(s) where Holly lives? That by itself could be upsetting her.Bunnies usually aren't that wild about change...

I can't speak to the 2nd bun situation, but I'm sure others can.

perhaps you can try and bond them, if thatdoesn't work then hold Holly for 10 minutes and then hold Punkin for 10minutes! if it doesn't work then i dont know what you can do.

Celine:bunnydance:

We have been moving things in and out of herroom. That could be part of the problem. We've tried to bond the two.They currently share a room, but are in seperate cages that are rightnext to each other but far enough away that they cant hurt each other.

I think I'd wait to try bonding until they'resettled into your new place... Sounds like a lot is going on right now.That said, I'm no expert on any of this, and there are people who knowfar, far more about bonding than me, so I'll let them handle that one.;)

Sounds like the changes in their immediate environment are affectingthem, though... And (probably) a general feeling of being unsettled.(Which is pretty much what I feel like while in the process of moving!)

Latest posts

Back