holland, mini, french?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragynflye

Reaction score
aside from size, is there any difference in the lop breeds? i mean, the conformation of an english lop is obviously very different, but are there differences in the other lops?

There are conformation differences in each of the breeds - mini lops and holland lops tend to have a different head shape and definitely have different body shapes (they are posed differently for shows even).

I think there's a personality difference too. In my experience, mini lops are fairly active and love to shred paper (every single one I've met in the shelter and at home has been a big paper shredder while none of the other bunnies bothered - not sure if anyone else has had this experience). English lops are known for being very friendly and having puppy like personalities. Peg always claims that her hollands are very energetic, but I've only known very lazy hollands, so maybe it's different by line. In general, rabbit personality isn't too closely related to breed, but there are some generalizations that might apply, at least a little bit, for 75% of the members of that breed.

My holland is pretty energetic, but he will also let you cuddle thing and loves getting pets.

He also gets into everything!

My mini lop does love to shred paper! She will even steal papers if they are close to her cage or she can get at them when she is out. She's very friendly and is the only rabbit I have had that begs to be picked up. She's naughty in a fun way. :)

The paper thing is funny! I've had multiple shelter owners mention it and seen it for myself. My mimi lop will shred pieces off of the phone book and then eat them like spaghetti. lol

One mini lop at the shelter would shred all of her newspaper (it was used to cover the floor of the cages every day). The next morning she would be sitting on the bare cage floor with a pile of shredded pieces bigger than her taking up half of the cage.

I'm trying to think here...I've had a total of 3 holland lop bucks, a few does, a mini lop buck, and 2 Elop bucks and 1 elop doe (and a french lop doe).

The holland lop bucks and the mini lop buck were the most affectionate and loved the be petted and held and would sit in my arms for long periods of time.

My holland does (at least Cindy and her two daughters) will chase around the flemish giant girls and the dogs and they love to climb.

My elop girl is hilarious. She had wry neck (no signs of it now) but she is just SOOOO active. She climbs into a big wooden box we put the feed bags in...and digs if she can (usually if we're low on food or the bags are still partly in the car). She HAS to shred X amount of paper per day - not sure how much it is - but a good amount.

My Elop bucks are just....sweethearts. They love to run and play when they're outside and they love to flirt with the girls.

I was not a lop person at first - Art was the lop person. But I've grown to really love the lops and I really am missing my holland lop boys.

I'd love to own another mini lop someday.

thanks for your imput, y'all! i have no doubt that we will end up with a lop someday. i've been looking at breeders' sites, and thought i'd noticed some differences between minis and hollands but wasn't sure if i was just imagining them. .i've just started looking at the french lops. i think elops are adorable, and i love everything i've read about their personalities, but the ears intimidate me still!

We had originally planned on getting a Holland, but then I discovered mini lops, and that's what we ended up with. I am so glad! We love our mini lop!!!!

Granted, he is still very young, but he has the coolest personality. he is very active, and knows how to make noise when it's time to get out of his cage. Once he's out, he is very curious. He loves to sniff and check out everything. He doesn't like boundaries. He will scratch at, chew on, and even maneuver around the gate to his designated exercise area.

He loves us, and when it's petting time, he will flop down next to us, or continuously sniff and bump my hand like, "Nose rub! Nose rub! Look at me, I'm cute! I know you want to rub my nose!"

He's also a really good looking fella, and I' m glad we went with the somewhat larger size of the mini lop.

I wanted to share these photos of Becky's paper ripping efforts.

Look hard, there is a rabbit in there:

100_0997.jpg

Resting after some hard work:

100_1000.jpg

Latest posts

Back