holland lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
Alright so my dad decided he'd bring home a 9 week old, male, holland lop. never had a holland lop, just babysat one once for 3 weeks. so anything i should know about the breed, habits, illnesses they're known to get or the way they act?

Also I get timothy hay bales from a local feed store, was wondering, should I get the lop a bale of alfalfa hay?

Congrats! I have a holland and I love the breed - I think they're so adorable. I've only met mine and a couple others in the local rescue, so I can't tell you much about the breed. They seem less hyper than mini lops (I've met plenty of those, and have one) and are pretty laid back. Teeth issues can be a problem, though I haven't experienced it in my holland (it did happen once with my mini though). I've also heard that they are prone to respiratory infections because of the shape of their face and sinuses, but I haven't had that problem either (though the holland at the rescue is quite a wheezer).

Congrats! I'd love to see pictures of your new baby. I love hollands :)

thank you. we have him upstairs & ive got my 4.5 year old mini rex in my room down stairs. i'm going to pick up an alfalfa bale on monday. hes eating bunny basics pellets & seems to like them, drank some water & has used his litter box a few times. seems very friendly, the cats love him & hes a speedy little one.

my mini lop had to get his teeth checked every 6 months cause of his spurs but they never affected him, thank god! i'll take some pictures later!

This is Wendal. not sure about the spelling but thats the crazy name my dad came up with. Gotta build him a condo 2nite so for now hes in the aquarium. he binks alot!

15ysvid.jpg

inqp0j.jpg

he spends most of his time standing & binking. he's a wild one! he also thinks he's a monkey. you wouldn't believe how high he's jumped! last night he jumped almost to the tippy top of his cage (2 panels high) & grabbed on then let go.

Aww, so cute! Congrats on your new bunny!

My bunny Babbitty is a Holland and my old doe Frost was as well,and from what I've seen, they are the same as any other breed health wise.

thought id add.. i was sitting in my room & i could hear wendal making sounds so i went to see what he was doing & yet again he was jumping to the top of his cage & letting go. each time hed let go hed try it again. wasnt too thrilled when he landed on his hay rack so i moved it to the opposite side of the cage. he sure is something else! :wiggle

i have loved both my hollands.

my first was from a lady who wanted a rabbit who wasnt so distant, she loved him, but even after having animal therapists come and see him he would just lie in his cage refusing to come out.

i got him and he was the most laid back bunny and well behaved guy i have ever had. he was about 2 and nuetered when i got him, also. he free roamed and had a setup of food and litter box in the closet. the only time id see him was when he came running out of my room jump on the couch stand up and wait for me to follow him to fill up his dish on time. he was never a cuddler but extremely tolerant of my daughter and the other rabbits, could let him roam with any of them and no one ever fought with him.

my current is a bit of a butt. if you have treats great! hes your friend, otherwise hed rather be off exploring and not being pet by you. a lot more energy than my last one but hes still got some aging to do

Haha rabbits are such goofs! My mini rex was never a mommys girl til my mini lop just passed away. I'd get home & let them out together & they'd run straight for each other. My mini lop was a snuggler & loved kisses & listened well. I havent completely figured Wendal out since we've only had him a few days but he's obsessed with my 2yr old cat & has to copy him & follow him everywhere.

Back