holland lop getting neutered tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
the day has come for wendell to get neutered! just wondering if theres anything i should know.. how long before you take your bunnies to the vet do you take their food away? or dont you take it away?

Never ever take it away. The vet may fast in their office for an hour or so to make sure the're no food being stored in the mouth for your bun to choke on, but thats all. Bunnies can't vomit, so there's no risk of that, and it's very dangerous to fast a bunny.

Don't take food away. Rabbits cannot vomit, so there is no risk to them eating before surgery. You also don't know when the surgery will actually happen, so it could a a while after you drop them off. Rabbits should also not go without food as it can lead to GI stasis which can be fatal if not treated right away. You also want to make sure the vet gives them food once they wake up so it is there. Bring hay and pellets so your rabbit has familiar foods, veggies are good too.

thank you very much for the responses! i thought it was bad when they said to take the food away, i never did that with the 2 ive gotten fixed. just wanted to make sure! should i stick with hay and pellets or is it okay if i still give him a little piece of romaine in the morning?

Definitely don't take the food away. As the rest said bring hay, pellets and fresh food that can be offered after surgery. Request that the vet allows you to stay until they give the little guy a sedative shot if possible, will really cut down on his stress level. Find out the earliest possible time you can pick him up, take him home, just as long as you keep him confinded for awhile and quiet. Good luck.

Pain meds for you, or the bun? :D

Depends on your vet, but mine gave us pain meds, pills that we had to crush in a bit of water and squirt in his mouth. They seemed to work, he laid quietly.
I believe it was Torbutrol 1 Mg.

We have had a great number of rabbits neutered and never even heard of pain med. They have always bounced back so quickly that I never even considered they were in pain, just a little uncomfortable.

I think it is important to give them the pain meds because they won't eat if they are in pain. Particularly for the girls it's an invasive procedure so they have more pain. I've never had a boy done so I'm not sure how they feel after.

Hes home and resting. he had a piece of romaine and a few bites of critical care. No pellets yet or water. Gave him a water dish also to be safe. Im going to let him rest a bit then try more lettuce. My last 2 rabbits didnt get pain meds nor did this one.

Latest posts

Back