Holland Lop Breeders! I need your Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyBailey

Reaction score
Ok. I'm planning on getting a holland lop this summer when i move up to Monterey Bay, CA and would looove a chocolate otter. I think my 2nd choice would be a fawn. But how rare are chocolate otters? I feel some breeders are almost "ripping me off". I've e-mailed about 30 and got 4 responses (ridiculous, I know) 3 saying if they had em they could sell me one at $35, $35, and $40. This last e-mail that I recieved said over $100 and that they are sooo rare that she'd probably keep it for herself.... umm... what? Why haven't any other breeders told me this and why do they have regualr prices if it was such a "rare color". Please let me know people. Should I even keep talking to this lady? or is she right and the other breeders don't understand their rarity? Thanks a ton!

08hotchoccd.jpg

Okay, I'm not a breeder. But I do know this: if you can find a breeder that will even consider selling a "rare color" as a pet, you're lucky :) Most are mainly interested in speaking to other breeders and show-people. It took me forever, too. I wanted a holland lop about a year ago, and all the colors I was interested in were a lot ($50 or more). Anything other than tort, sable point, black, and other common colors go up in price.

I know. I dont get it. Is it really actually a rare color or just rare for her? and if it was dont you think the other people would have jackd up the price too?

To be very honest with you - as a breeder - I don't see what is so bad about $100 for a chocolate otter holland lop. I paid close to that for my chocolate doe to breed with my broken black otter buck - and I got a chocolate otter buck.

I think you need to remember - some breeders are what I would call "hobby" breeders - they're putting together bunnies and making some money and they aren't looking for particular colors. So they're maybe willing to sell their rabbits for lower prices.

Then there are breeders that specialize more in "show quality" rabbits - even though they are breeding as a hobby. They base their breeding choices on what they think will produce the best rabbit for show - not so much about color - but about the quality of the rabbit for body type, etc. These breeders will definitely charge more - odds are good they've been breeding longer - have a good reputation and good bloodlines. $100 isn't bad if you're talking about a show quality rabbit.

Something else to consider is that while a color may be "rare" in one area of the country....it may not be rare in another area of the country. For instance, when I was wanting to get into black otter lionheads - I was told they are a dime a dozen (not literally) up in Minnesota. Here in TX? Very rare....

I don't remember if you are the person who posted in the general forum about debating between a fawn holland lop and a chocolate otter holland lop. I wanted to post there - but held myself back. However, since this is the rabbitry area, I'm going to speak from the perspective of a breeder.

Whenever I have people tell me they want a certain color - I always told them that they would have to come see the rabbits. I sent them pictures and descriptions of more than just that one color....and I rarely ever sold a rabbit without watching a person interact with the rabbit.

There is so much more to a rabbit other than color and the personality of the rabbit has to be a match for the person that is wanting it. If a person is wanting a rabbit just for show (vs. a pet rabbit) - I'm less likely to turn down a sale....but if they're wanting a pet rabbit - I've been known to tell them "no" because I did not feel it was a match for them. I'd watch the rabbit interact with them and if the rabbit was uncomfortable....it wasn't going to their home no matter what they paid me. And yes - I've charged $150 for a high quality show rabbit...and got it. The people drove 8 hours (one way) to get him...and another rabbit too. They knew all of the rabbits I had for sale and they took two hours to play with them before they made their choices. Would I have let that rabbit go to them if he didn't like them? Nope - wouldn't have matter that they wanted that color or not. To me - as a breeder - the rabbit comes first....

Good luck in finding a chocolate otter - I wound up giving mine away to a woman who wanted a holland lop very very badly and she fell in love with him and he fell in love with her. In fact, here he is. (I very much wanted a chocolate otter girl and he was a boy...)

wow. Thank you for that. Yes, i was the one debating colors. The breeder i've been talking to the most is the one who also is making me choose the color and gender before I can get it. Which, isn't really what I want to do, but if thats how she does her sales, I cant change that. At least i know whats reasonable and that that lady isnt just raising the price on me. Hopefully I can go see the babies and change my mind if the one i had reserved doesnt make a connection with me. We'll see. I'm just really excited and am not sure what to expect or think. Thanks again!

P.s. that baby is adoooorable. So jealous. lol

Chocolate otters aren't very common, and they are generally not as good in type as the black otters. $100 isn't unusual for a quality Holland Lop, but "buyer beware". Get references and do some research before purchasing.

Pam

BabyBailey wrote:
Hopefully I can go see the babies and change my mind if the one i had reserved doesnt make a connection with me.
While I understand that you really want this color, I have to say, please don't do that. If you reserve it, it can be a pain in the butt for the breeder if you back out. I have had quite a few people do that to me when I was breeding, and it was always awkward. I would think that thisne cage was going to be free at a certain time and plan accordingly, only to find out the potential buyer had changed his/her mind.

Have you reserved the chocolate otter? If so, then she does still have the right to keep it for herself, but if she doesn't, and you still want it, don't back out if you've reserved it. Like GentleGiants said, it's a pain when a buyer backs out of a sale ;)

Also, if they're raising the price on you, I have no idea what to say to that. She possibly could of just found out that colour was rare, but who knows. It is a rare colour, so yes, do expect to pay at least $100 if it's good show quality. Do you have any breeder friends that breed Hollands that you could bring with you to this breeders' place? They could tell if the holland you want is show quailty....unless you're not planning to show it, it doesn't matter.

Emily

Ok people. i understand that 1. personality trumps all 2. you need to meet the babies before so you can see if you make a connection and 3. dont back out of a deal. i haven't reserved anything because I don't know if i'm going to stay with this breeder after she raised the price by $60 without really a legitimate reason. I want a pet quality choc. otter. And still the raise? I duno. I dont have any breeder friends. You all are really my only experts I can talk to. And what if I reserve a bun and it doesnt like me for some reason and I choose another of the same litter. Is that still considered backing out? And I cant go meet them beforehand because I'm 12 hours (one way) away. I started talking to another breeder whose maybe 2 hours closer (yay! 10 hrs. away!) that told me choc. otters shouldnt be rare in that region and she will still sell me a show bunny at a max of $40. So, i might just go with her. I'm not cheaping out because of price, she just seems more honest. I got references on her and she has all the same guarantees and standards as the other breeder. Any opinions?

I think that it's very understandable that you might change your mind about a rabbit. If you've put down a deposit, I would certainly give the breeder a fee for holding the rabbit. Some breeders have specific policies about refunding money, so always check first before putting down money.

Pam

BabyBailey wrote:
I started talking to another breeder whose maybe 2 hours closer (yay! 10 hrs. away!) that told me choc. otters shouldnt be rare in that region and she will still sell me a show bunny at a max of $40. So, i might just go with her. I'm not cheaping out because of price, she just seems more honest. I got references on her and she has all the same guarantees and standards as the other breeder. Any opinions?
Personally, I think the second breeder does sound better. Especially if the first one raised your price by $60?! That sounds to me like she caught on that you want this one color pretty badly and thinks she can get more $$ out of you. Kinda like the same reason you don't let a car salesman know if you REALLYlike a car, LOL. And if you have talked to people that have worked with the second breeder before and liked her/her rabbits, that is a good sign too.

I haven't payed any money yet and the 2nd breeder said that she doesnt need a deposit until the babies are 6 wks. old so she can guarantee health, color, and personality. Sounds good to me. And I'm just going to stick with the 2nd breeder. I tried to sound like I wasnt excited specifically for this color and that I ONLY wanted this one, but aftershe triedto sell me other colors I finally told her that we just want a choc. otter and that was it. and that was when the price went up. Oh well. Thanks for all the advice. And let me know opinions! I gotta find a nice way to tell the other breeder "i dont want to work with you anymore, i found someone else". like a middle school break up. lol.

BabyBailey wrote:
I haven't payed any money yet and the 2nd breeder said that she doesnt need a deposit until the babies are 6 wks. old so she can guarantee health, color, and personality. Sounds good to me. And I'm just going to stick with the 2nd breeder. I tried to sound like I wasnt excited specifically for this color and that I ONLY wanted this one, but aftershe triedto sell me other colors I finally told her that we just want a choc. otter and that was it. and that was when the price went up. Oh well. Thanks for all the advice. And let me know opinions! I gotta find a nice way to tell the other breeder "i dont want to work with you anymore, i found someone else". like a middle school break up. lol.
Just tell the first breeder you found someone closer. *shrugs* I'm happy you found a breeder with better prices! Good thing you asked about it here!

I sent her an e-mail saying I found someone else, and guess what... She said "oh, well, I can take $30 off and have a aby choc. otter eady in about 2 months." Oh, now you're dropping the price and you're able to do it within 2 months? fishy fishy. lol. Oh well. I still said no thanks. Thanks for the reat advice people. Now. Only 2 months of ridiculously anxious waiting and, he should be here! yay!

Back