Holland Help - please? (I know they aren't posed well)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
First of all - I know that the rabbits aren't posed well - but I added two new rabbits this weekend from the show.

My buck I was going to use (and that is a story I have to share later) - I'm not going to use. He basically has no crown and too much ear control...

Cindy took BOB in both shows - I think there were 10-12 hollands shown (solids and brokens) and both judges commented on her crown - especially for being a junior.

So here is my new buck:

[align=center]
IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

[align=left]I know his ears are long and I think he's long in body. Cindy is short in body. I love his color and I think I like his shoulders. I did check him for cow hocks but he seemed good.

This is my new doe. I mainly bought her because she is an experienced mom and Cindy and Sher will both be first-time mamas when I breed them. I wanted her as a backup for fostering but I would like to learn a bit more about her strengths/weaknesses.

[align=center]
IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

[align=left]I'm going to try to get a picture of her posed later this week. She does have a bit more ear control than I'd like. I think she is long in body too.

I may take her and show her just so there is some more competition - and fo course just now she sits posed in her cage and winks at me. ARG.

My goal is to take the money I get from selling the babies when I get them - and buy a really nice herd buck if I plan to stay in Hollands (which I am enjoying).

[/align][/align][/align][/align]

It's very difficult to evaluate the buck from the photos, especially when he isn't posed well. Based on the photos, his crown is slipped way back which really detracts from his head. He appears very long/low over the shoulders and very pinched in the hindquarters.

pamnock wrote:
It's very difficult to evaluate the buck from the photos, especially when he isn't posed well. Based on the photos, his crown is slipped way back which really detracts from his head. He appears very long/low over the shoulders and very pinched in the hindquarters.

The buck looked like he has a "dip" behind his head which I was told by some of my mentors was indicative of "poor" shoulders... I would agree with Pam on his head quality as the photos do not show him off.

The doe's crown is narrow from ear to ear in my humble opinion as her ears are coming forward... I have a brood doe here like that with an even more "narrow" crown, that I will be crossing with a buck from a line with a strong crown. That is the fun of Hollands... piecing parts together like a puzzle!

I am learning more each day about this challenging breed - I have to consider myself a lifetime student.

Denise

Latest posts

Back