Holiday check list...I don't know what to take?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenson

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering if you could help me make a check list of stuff I need to take on holiday. I am going to Turkey for 2 weeks next month and it's my first time abroad! I'm a bit nervous because I don't know what to expect but I'm excited too, I'm really looking forward to flying.

Okay so I've got lots of shopping still to do, is there anything I should take besides the obvious dresses, bikinis, flip flops, hats etc.?

And I am having real trouble deciding whether to take my camera, I am really nervous about it getting stolen or broken, would you recommend I leave it or am I just being paranoid?

Any tips for keeping my hair (it's coloured) from getting too damaged with the sun and chlorine would be fab too.

Anything really, like I said this is my first time abroad so any hints or tips appreciated! :biggrin2:

This is where we are staying:
orion.jpg

Bring your camera. You'll be sad if you don't.

Put TSA locks (the ones that TSA can open with their keys)on your bags and if you want to lock something in your suitcase in your room, go ahead and do so. Sure a determined thief could still cut your suitcase open, but they make you know the maid won't be looking through your stuff if that's a concern.

Don't forget to bring sunscreen. Nothing can ruin a vacation like a sunburn.

http://www.visitob.com/outer_banks/trip/vacation_checklist.htm#nice
I used that Checklist a few times =)

The sun shouldn't do much to your hair if you condition it well, but with the chlorine, you could get a special shampoo to help out, but two weeks wont do too much. But you could always put your hair in a bun before you go in the pool

Oooh I don't know where to start!!

Plenty of suncream- I usually go for Factor 15 but I guess it depends on how your skin is- I definitely wouldn't go any lower in the hot Turkish sun....

Aftersun! And if there is a fridge in your room keep it in there!:)

Mosquito repellent for skin- the plug-ins that you can get work really well for your room as well, but if you're near a shop over there they will be much cheaper there! Also, something for bites as well in case you end up being a tasty snack to the mossies.... itches like crazy!

First-aid kit with things like paracetomol, ibuprofen, plasters, antiseptic cream, etc. I always take Immodium as well lol...

Plenty of good books/magazines- more than you think you'll need if you'll be doing a lot of sunbathing!

I always take a big bottle of conditioner and some intensive conditioner as well because my hair just dies in the heat/sun/chlorine. There is a product by Philip Kingsley called 'Swimcap' Swimcap that's a bit pricey but you put it on your hair before you swim/sunbathe, and rinse it out before you shampoo and it's sooooo good. There are loads of other alternatives as well that are cheaper though, but it's a good idea to get something that's specifically made for sun/chlorine protection.

If you're going to be doing any sightseeing, a guidebook is always handy...

I would definitely take your camera- if it's insured, and your travel insurance covers it (not sure if regular home insurance would cover abroad)- you'd definitely regret it otherwise. I carry mine in my hand luggage so I know where it is at all times and don't freak out about the airline dropping my suitcase with it in!

Oh, and MP3 player, for the plane, and for sunbathing! I also always take my tiny little iPod speaker set for listening to music in the room whilst getting ready to go out in the evenings, etc..

All the chargers for your camera/MP3 player, phone etc.... If you're taking your phone make sure you have roaming activated before you leave...

The hotel looks amazing! I'm so jealous! You'll have a great time! :D

LOL Jen pretty much covered most of it so all thats left to say is HAVE A SUPER TIME YOU LUCKY THING!!!!

I'm jealous to that looks amazing!!!!! :D

slavetoabunny wrote:
Something really weird I do....I take along one of those plug-in air fresheners. I never like the odor of hotel rooms.

Never thought of that!

I like hotel room odor, it reminds me I'm on holiday! :D

Have tonnes of fun Kayleigh!

Great suggestions everyone! Thank you all I've got a lot here already that I hadn't even thought about. Would never have thought of taking insect repellent! :rollseyes

The locks are a fab idea thanks Christina! I have pretty dark skin, my mother is Portuguese, but I'm not taking any chances, I've been stocking up on factor 30!

Jen, my insurance on the camera ran out and I didn't bother renewing it. Maybe I can get some before I go though I'll check it out. I may buy a cheap little point and shoot if I decide against taking it. Thanks for the shampoo it looks great! :D

I didn't even consider taking my laptop Patti thanks! :biggrin2:

You guys are awesome I actually feel much less nervous now! :blushan:

Jenson wrote:
Jen, my insurance on the camera ran out and I didn't bother renewing it. Maybe I can get some before I go though I'll check it out. I may buy a cheap little point and shoot if I decide against taking it. Thanks for the shampoo it looks great! :D
No problem, glad I could help! If you have home contents insurance, you could be able to just add it on there. My policy for example, covers up to £2,500 single article limit, so we just called them up and said that I have xxx camera, specified the make/model and they said it wasn't a problem. Check out the travel insurance terms as well as that may cover it too. That's the other thing you should definitely take with you! And the sooner you book it the better! We will always regret not having bought travel insurance sooner when we had to cancel our holiday to Kefalonia last September a week before because I had Glandular Fever and wasn't fit to fly- had we had insurance we would have got the money back but we were going to buy it last-minute as we didn't think about needing it before we left...

The laptop idea is a good one, too! Me and Steve took loads of DVD's away with us last week. It's also handy if you take too many pictures to upload them at the end of the day- I always get paranoid about my memory card failing me like it did once in Sri Lanka and losing loads of pictures :cry1:

What do you have planned when you're there? Are you going to just sunbathe and relax or do lots of sightseeing?

mouse_chalk wrote:
I always get paranoid about my memory card failing me like it did once in Sri Lanka and losing loads of pictures :cry1:

What do you have planned when you're there? Are you going to just sunbathe and relax or do lots of sightseeing?
Yeah I only have a 1GB card at the moment so that is a worry for me too! I can borrow two 4GB cards from a photographer friend though so I will do that if I end up taking it.

I am going with 4 friends, two of them are quite lazy and just want to sunbathe the whole time, but I want to go out and do stuff! Luckily two of the others are up for some actives, there is a horse ranch near the town so I'm definitely going for a trek on the beach...that's my idea of the perfect holiday! :biggrin2:

mouse_chalk wrote:
I would definitely take your camera...

All the chargers for your camera/MP3 player, phone etc....
Second the motion on the camera. Never let the camera out of your sight, and never check it!

Get a few extra memory cards - they're really cheap these days. Get smaller cards (i.e. 1 or 2GB) and swap them out every few days, so that if one goes bad you'll not lose everything. On my trip to the UK last month, I traded out cards on each change of location (one for London, one each for Guernsey, Alderney and Jersey, and one for Bath), and I backed up the pictures to my iPod, just in case.

On the chargers, you're going to need a plug adapter - Turkey's the same 220V/50Hz electricity you're used to in the UK but they use the European round-plug system. Get the adapter before you leave the UK. Trust me on that one - I forgot my adapter on one trip to Scotland, and all they had there were adapters to go the other way.

Bring a few disposable underwater cameras too!
One good pair of shoes that you would want to hike in /walk for hours.
A pair of heels for going out on the town/fine restaurant...

The Fodor's guidebook to Hawaii was awesome, and I actually got to see some of the coolest places!

Eat where the locals eat for authentic cuisine.

One zip-up hoodie sweater
One of those tiny rain ponchos that you can fold up/umbrella
Bandaids in case of blisters on the feet.

Oooh, you're making me excited to go on a holiday now!
Maybe I'll go tenting in the back yard:biggrin2:

Allergy Pills... ie. Benadryl, in case of allergic reaction.... You never know how your body will react to new foods.

Buy a suitcase while you're there or take one along to put all your souvenirs in for the trip back :)

Honestly, I'd rather go out on the town instead of sitting in the hotel room, watching movies (unless they're on the local cable channel ;) ) Explore to the fullest!

My normal holiday list for a 10 day holiday in the sun would be:

2 pairs shorts
6 simple tops
A few sun dresses (for day wear or going out in evenings)
3 pairs flip flops/sandals
1 jumper (incase it gets cold! You never know it might rain! Probably easier to wear this on the plane too!)
2-3 bikinis/tankins
2 sarongs/cover-ups
2 pairs sunglasses
1 hat (I love hats!)
Underwear!
1 or 2 small bags

Sun cream (or buy at airport)
After sun
A few bits of makeup, hair bands, toiletries
Shampoo and conditioner and body wash
Toothpaste and toothbrush (obviously)
Bite cream and insect repellent air fan thing for your room if you like to sleep with windows or balcony doors open

Camera
Camera charger
Phone
Phone charger
Extra camera card
Foreign plug adaptors
Mucho dinero!

Thats all I can think of, I've probably forgotten something!

Thanks Mike, hadn't even considered adapters! :shock:

Ah I'm so nervous about taking my camera but it's well past it's estimated life anyway, so if anything happens to it I will just think of that and tell myself I needed a new one anyway. :p

LOL Autumn I'm sure it's much cheaper to camp! I can't believe how much this cost me! I do hope it's going to worth it. :p

Thanks Fran that's really helpful, I was actually wondering how many shorts/tops etc. to take. I would've put my whole wardrobe in my suitcase probably!

One more thing, how much money should I take as spending money? I have £500 saved at the moment but I am planning £700. Too much or not enough?

Jenson wrote:
Thanks Mike, hadn't even considered adapters! :shock:

Ah I'm so nervous about taking my camera but it's well past it's estimated life anyway, so if anything happens to it I will just think of that and tell myself I needed a new one anyway. :p

LOL Autumn I'm sure it's much cheaper to camp! I can't believe how much this cost me! I do hope it's going to worth it. :p

Thanks Fran that's really helpful, I was actually wondering how many shorts/tops etc. to take. I would've put my whole wardrobe in my suitcase probably!

One more thing, how much money should I take as spending money? I have £500 saved at the moment but I am planning £700. Too much or not enough?

Spending money completley depends on how much you plan on going out/drinking etc and whether its expensive (which I doubt it will be) and whether you are self-catered, half board or full board?

I usually go with my family so my Mum would pay for my food and drinks and then I would take about £150-£200 for a week or two weeks which is enough to buy the odd ice cream or cheap trinkets in the markets and stuff. I'd work out how much food money you're going to spend (depends if you plan to go to supermarkets and cook at home, so I'd say £10 a day, or if you plan to go out to eat for every meal?)

For sure I would have my camera with me. It would be tough to decide which lens to take though. Do you have a bag to keep it in and have it out of sight if you are not using it? Some times I put my camera in a plastic shopping bag so people don't even know I have a camera. Even removing or wearing your neck strap backwards so the camera logos are not exposed to the public. I have the Think Tank holstersthat I can wear on my hip so there is no strain on my neck and shoulder. With Think Tank, my camera is with me all the time.

Jen beat me to it, but I would always suggest taking Immodium with you! Nothing ruins a vacation like being stuck in a bathroom! :( I hope you have fun! :)

Latest posts

Back