Holding rabbits..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1487

Reaction score
From most of the stuff I've read, obviously rabbits don't like to be held..and I have no problem holding Skippy..but, when I try to lay him down on his back and put him into a trance ( I think that's what it's called ) He doesn't like it..He'll take it for a few seconds..then he kicks and struggles. Is this normal? He's going on 15 wks next week..Is it just because he's young or is there any way I can teach him to calm down and relax? I would just like to know.

Heres a thread with links to bunnies being held:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12066&forum_id=17

And here is a link about trancing bunnies!
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=4330&forum_id=1&highlight=bunny+trance

Keep in mind that not all bunnies will stay in a trance right away. It may take time to build up how long bunny will stay in a trance. A couple seconds on your first tries is good!

My bunny didn't like it either. It was only when she started getting sick after her surgury, after I was holding her all the time that she would start trancing properly.

Nadezhda gave some great links. Practice makes perfect, but some rabbits will always be uncomfortable with being tranced or held. I'm getting better at trancing one of mine, but he gets really ticked at me afterwards. None of mine like it. Although some rabbits do like being tranced and will even lay on their backs by themselves, many others are scared and upset by it. It is mainly a prey response to being attacked. The rabbit pretends to be dead and then snaps out of it as soon as the predator's grip shifts and then tries to get away.

I prefer to give my bunnies loving on their terms (on the floor)- they don't flick me off when I do that!:D

Yeah, I don't think Skippy is ever gonna like it. I'm gentle with him, but he hates being held. He throws a hissy fit. Thanks for the links though!

Back