Hold-Me-Not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny_Baby01

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have hadVelvet and Lacey (going on) two months now, and they LOVE to be petted. When my best friend and I pet them, they just sit there, no flinching or anything. But when we try to hold them, they run away! It's awful! I love them and I really want to hold them, but I don't want to force them in my lap (too mean!). Why do they do this if they are fine with being petted, and how can I get them to trust me enough to hold them?

:?

Thanks for the help,

Bunny_Baby01

My guess would be this- hormones. Dogs usually hit what I like to call their 'teenager stage' a little over a year and on up to 2 or 3 for some of the large/giant breeds. If neutered they calm down quite a bit although it doesn't diffuse it all. I would bet they are at that 'magic' age.

Hello!

I have 2 baby buns that are about 8-9 wks old. They are pretty muchthe same way. They will let me pet them, but they really don't like to be held. I still hold them though, just for a short period of time, cause they try to jump from my arms. I think it's just cause their babies.

I know some rabbits don't like to be held at all. If it were me I would still try to hold them, or they won't be use to it. That's why I still hold mine.

Hopefully a person who knows more about rabbits can answer your question. But I'm going thru the same thing.

:) April

Some bunnies just don't like to be handled, so not much you can do. Rabbits much prefer to be socialized with you on the ground where they feel safer. Only makes sense for prey animals not to like being confined to being held and off the ground.

I wouldn't worry too much about holding them. Some just hate it! The only times I ever handle my bunnies is to move them around or clip their nails, since they much prefer to be cuddled on the ground. Rabbits are just generally not too keen on being held.

Please note everyone- *The bunny on my avatar is NOT Velvet nor Lacey! Velvet and Lacey are about three or four months old, and they love being petted, just not held.*

Just wanted to clear up a little confusion there. :blushan:

Yeah agree with the other members. Some babies just don't like to be held. Most rabbits don't. You'll just have to love them on the floor like the rest of us :) I would encourage what April said, to get them used to being held for times when you really have to like grooming or vet visits. But not so often that he rabbit is upset. Each bunny's tolerance for holding is different.

Just think of it this way:

Prey animal..only time it experiences being 'lifted' off the ground is.....when some bird of prey or a much larger animal (coyote, wolf, etc) grabs them up.

So, I would only suggest you be very patient with them.
I have had bunnies who can actually relax being held (usually well past the teen years) and others who are never comfortable with it.

Make holding an enjoyable experience, give them lots of pats and a treat when you do hold them. Conditioning them from a young age to think that at the end of being held they get treats will help a lot. I got Lucy at a young age and she's always had to be held, She'll go flat to the ground in submission when I go to pick her up, but then she'll be calm and happy in my arms.

i have quite mixture of reactions-from-rabbits,/,as rabbits,.they being prey animals might adjust to being handled,.of course i don,t know the environment in which they are kept-(which my be conducive to the problem)-some rabbits shrink away when reached for,.or cower when petted,..perhaps reinforcing the trust/bond will take place,.all takes time,..sincerely james waller

I havea large NIC cage and I just sit in there with my bunnies. So I'll be sitting on the floor when I hold them, with their legs toward my body. Then sometimes I slide them down to my legs to see if they'll sit on my legs but they usually run off. Lol. I think it's just cause their young. From what I've been told bunnies don't settle down til their closer to a year old.

If you really want to hold your bunnies then I would start holding them, doing it slowly since their not use to it.

:biggrin2:April

Try different positions. Typically when I hold Bijoux I hold him with his side next to my chest, both his back feet in my one hand and the other hand around him with palm on his neck. This is the way he is most comfortable.

Sometimes something will scare him and he'll try to turn toward me with all four paws on me and climb up as high as he can onto my shoulder, not comfortable for him or me. When he does this I either put him down or cradle him like a baby which puts him in a trance and relaxes him.

I wouldn't say Bijoux "likes" being held, but the older he gets the more he trusts me and seems to tolerate it more comfortably.

Also, what you said about liking the petting, this is key. The more I 'groom' and pet Bijoux, the more often he comes to me on his own to be held because he's hoping I'll make it petting time which he loves.

My bunny also loves to be petted, but does not let us hold her. I keep trying to hold her, because her nails need to be trimmed. I brought her to the groomer to have her nails trimmed back in March, but she loved being held then. Now her nails need to be trimmed again, and I don't know how I'm going to have them done. As soon as I try to pick her up, she fights with all her might and runs away.
Any suggestions on how to get her nails trimmed?? Thanks for any suggestions!

Yeah, I'm not having much luck with that either. Bijoux only lets me hold him when he's going to get something he enjoys. When I cut his hair I sit on the floor with my legs in a v and put him on the floor in front of me facing away. I pet him and then sneak in clips, when he has had enough, he tries to hop away, I just pick him up and put him back. It takes a really long time so I dont do all the haircut in one sitting. To clip nails, I would try the same thing, put in front of you and pick one paw up at a time. Maybe do the front one day and the back the next.

It usually takes a while before he trusts me again after any event that is not petting. I have to give lots of petting on the floor before he 'wants' me to pick him up. The only reason he wants me to pick him up is I carry him to a place where I'm comfortable so the petting lasts longer. If I do it on the floor, I don't pet him as long.

Remember, bunnies, it's all about them. You have to make them think that what you're doing is all about them, then they will be more cooperative.

Lady isn't too fond of being held - she puts up with it but you can tell she just wants to be put down. I've been clicker training her so that when I sit on the couch she will sit on my lap. It's a nice compromise I think. It lets her set her terms of feet onsolid groundand for me to get some cuddles. :)

Latest posts

Back