Hock sores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brituk

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am in need of someadvice. Tiny's hock sores have gotten worse two of them haveulcerated and the vet has told me that if the new antibioticdoes not work then it probably means the infection is in the bones,this means he will die.With help of afriend we have been soaking his feet in iodine I was justwondering if there was any thing else I could do to improve hisodds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

maire

a very sad bunny mom:(

What is the history of the problem?ie: the rabbit's habitat, age, treatment history, diet,etc. A fungal infection followed by Staph is often the finalstage of sore hocks, which can be attributed to a number of factors.

I would stop iodine treatment at this point -- it is only delayinghealing. As your vet is aware, it's very important to startoral antibiotic treatment to treat the infection from the*inside*. You may also now begin to dry up the wound on theoutside with a powder such as a antifungal powder or *wonder dust*, acaustic powder which will quickly dry and heal the wound.

Since age or suppressed immune system can play a role in fostering sorehocks, I also recommend a small amount of Nutri Cal per day.

Hard plastic matts are available that help to ease pressure on the feetso they can heal. Do not use products such as carpet, drywallboard, blankets, etc. as these hold moisture and bacteria, which candelay healing.

Pam

Brituk, I am so sorry to here Tinyisn't doing any better. Considering what Tiny had to dealwith before you saved him, he couldn't have found a bettter Mom. I hopehe gets to feeling better real soon. You and Tiny are in my thoughtsand prayers.

Tina

Dear Pam, Thanks for all the advice.The vet is the one who told me to soak tiny's feet in the iodine, Iwill definitely try the powder and supplement my question to you iswhere can I purchase these products are they for humans or bunnies.

once again thanks for the great advice!

Maire

Iodine is fine as an initial treatment to killfungus infections, but slows the healing process ifcontinued. I've found powders used after iodine cleansing tobe very effective. It's important to be sure a deep wound ishealing well from the inside and the "wonder dust" is very effective incompletely drying the wound and speeding the healing process.

Pam

Tiny has three sores. The one on hisright back paw is a large scab that doesn't seem to be healing atall. The sore on the bottom of his left foot ishard thick skin but not open and the one on the side of the left pawwas filled with pus but burst. I have been giving him the newantibiotic for only one day so I really can't say if it'sworking.I really would like to try the Wonder Dust and alsothe Nutri Cal , please let me know where I can purchase them.Also if you have any advice on stopping him from licking his paws whenI have applied his ointments I could use some.

maire

Wonder Dust (Equine Product)and Nutri Cal (Pet Product) are both available through valleyvet.com

The antibiotic therapy will also be important. Penn G injections are commonly used.

You might try a collar for a very days, giving the wounds time to dry and heal.

Pam

The vet prescribed an oral antibiotic calledEnrofloxacin. I also have to give him yougurt while he's onit. He is eating well fresh produce carrots including tops,strawberry tops, green apples and a little bit of cabbage, he also getsTimothy hay and half a cup of pellets daily. He isvery active and extremely friendly I have two children an 18 month oldand 3 years old, he loves to spend time outside and has therun of the house when we are home. He is also litter boxtrained and I have been trying to keep the box as clean aspossible although I rarely see him sitting in it. I will trya collar and will definitely get the powder and see what happens!!!

Thanks

Maire

He sounds like a very healthy, happyboy! For now, be sure he stays off of any damp grass as itcan be the cause of fungal infections.

Pam

Latest posts

Back