Hiring Pet Sitter for Dimi.... HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napagirl

Reaction score
Fortunately is it a short trip coming up... leaving on a Friday, back on Sunday. I have a wonderful lady I have had over to care for our two small dogs. Now, we have Dimi. Dimi is currently in a very extra large wire dog crate when we are not home, but she gets out as soon as we get home.

I am thinking for the pet sitter, that we will have Dimi back in the bathroom temporarily, since she is most comfortable there, and this will be our first trip away from her. I do not want the pet sitter to let her out to run tho, as I am concerned about her ability to catch her and watch for hazards.

I am hesitant to have her pick up Dimi or try to handle her since i believe the pet sitter is not rabbit-experienced.

Any other advice? Tips? Experience? Has anyone ever traveled with their rabbit?

I think the bathroom she's most comfortable in is best with the pet sitter told 'pets only', do not pick up ever.

I travel with my guys and they're pretty good. Keep in mind that bunnies can and do bond tightly to humans, and separation can be tough, but they also like familiar territory, so its six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I try to avoid changing both at once for a longer period of time, though, eg: moving the bunny to the pet sitter's home. Some don't take that well. I've been seeing too many cases of rabbits ending up with compromised immune systems from stress.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen on occasion.

sas :bunnydance:

Where are you from in the bay area if you don't mind me asking? I do quite a bit of pet sitting, dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, small animals, etc. so if you are ever looking for a more rabbit experienced person to pet sit let me know.

I would say leave specific instructions about how you want the rabbit cared for. In some cases the less interaction with the rabbit she has the better, simply because you don't want her trying to pick the rabbit up, scaring her, and all sorts of other things. Leave the rabbit where she is most comfortable as well. Avoiding change tends to work the best with rabbits since they are routine animals.

Thanks, both of you, for your replies. I also believe that the "safe" bathroom is a good idea, and not handling an even better idea. Dimi will be angry when we get home, but she always recovers with nuzzle time. I rather have her mad and bored than lost or hurt.

Caustin4- I was just from Livermore, but relocated to Tracy. where are you living?

I live in Danville. A little far to drive out just for the day, but if you ever are gone for a long period of time and want Dimi to get a bit more attention and care, she could stay at my house with me. For short trips its always better to keep them where they are comfortable rather than switching around lots though.

Back