Hipsidy has something coming out of her ear. (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HipsidyNLydia

Reaction score
Hipsidy is a white New Zealand, probably between the ages of 6 and 8 months old. She is a non-spayed female.

We had problems after we got her with what could have been an infection or allergies, but the sneezing stopped finally. Vets went back and forth over whether she had one or the other.

But now she seems to have developed a new problem, in that she seems a little lethargic and has a crusty substance in her left ear. It may be blood, I am not sure, I didn't get to look closely. It is way up in the ear, and seems to have decided to drain along the top curvature of the ear and out.

I cannot tell whether she is having trouble with poops, there were a few stickier ones, but she has a cage mate, Lydia. We are using paper litter.

When she was at the vet's office before, they had her on Baytril (sp?) and another antibiotic, though the second vet we saw did not see signs under a scope or in her passageways to indicate an infection. This was back in April. At that time, she was sneezing quite a bit. I am not sure if it was our move, but we moved from Oklahoma to Wyoming in the middle of last month. I have not heard a bit of sneezing out of her while we have been here.

Hipsidy eats pellets and hay. I am not sure how much she ate, my daughter fed them last time.

She appears to have lost a little weight. I am not sure about the hopping, as they are having to live in the hutch for a couple more weeks while my husband makes them a bigger home (renting a house, and the person who owns it put carpeting in all but the kitchen, downstairs bathroom, and hallway, grrrr).

I cannot say if she is breathing normally, I would lean towards no. She and Lydia are breathing differently, Lydia's being more rapid but subtle. I see more nose movement from Hipsidy.

There are no plants or people foods within their reach. One of them chewed a hole in a foodbag my daughter left too close to their cage, but that was a few weeks ago. And I am not sure which one did that.

They were outside a couple weeks ago, but still in their hutch.

Lydia, her buddy, has been as healthy as a horse (more like a Clydesdale, Lydia is probably a Flemish Giant and is rapidly outsizing Hipsidy). No fighting between the two, Hipsidy is dominant and Lydia seems to comply with that.

Hipsidy is also the more aggressive rabbit, at least towards people.

I was hoping they would both stay healthy right now, as we are awaiting reembursement from the military for the move we just made. Really didn't want a vet bill right now. But this girlie seems a bit off.

Whoa, this bunny is probably very ill. I think she needs to be put on a regiment of INJECTED antibiotics ASAP, Bicillin or Pen G, combined with an oral antibiotic like Zithromax or Chloramphenicol. It sounds like a bad infection, not mites.

sas :pray:

She will be going in first thing tomorrow. She has been eating and drinking today, but seems off. The vet did not have any more same-day appointments left when I called, but if I call first thing in the morning, I should be able to get her in. She has junk in both ears.

Okay, sorry for not updating more quickly. My parents are in town in addition to dealing with a sick bunny.

It was not a happy vet visit. It appears that she has pneumonia and an ear infection. They don't think the prognosis is very good at this point. She was gaping her mouth while breathing under stress, and definitely liked the oxygen they gave her in between examinations.

The vet did not want to put her on oral medicines, as she could aspirate on those with her compromised breathing. They will do antibiotics via injection.

She also is now tipping her head slightly to the left.

Injectables are the way to go regardless. Just wondering, what drugs are being administered? If this is a true case of pneumonia....there is no better drug than Chloramphenicol to treat it. This drug is usually found as an oral drug.....and since it has been banned for human use in the US (in most cases), it can be difficult to acquire. I have had a compounder form it into an injectable version. Using a nebulizer to adminster drugs can also be very effective against pneumonia. Good luck.

Randy

Unfortunately, Hipsidy Hopsidy passed away today. She looked like she was a little weaker earlier today, then when I was getting out some materials to make our second, larger hutch, I heard this racket. She apparently could not get her breath and had a spasm/ leaped around her cage to get her breath. She was gone just like that.

Back