Hiccups?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
How do you tell if a rabbit has the hiccups vs. a cough? Do hiccups make noise? It seems fairly frequent that my one bun, Emma, makes a repetitive sound (a dry sound, if that makes any sense) and seems be either hiccuping or coughing; I can't tell which.

I don't observe any discharge from her nose or matting (from mucous) on her paws/ inner front legs. But I don't know if mucous is always a symptom that goes hand-in-hand with a cough.

Or if they are hiccups, what can frequent bouts of them indicate?

Thank you,

Jenk

I had a rabbit that had choking episodes due to his heart failure, which is scary. I've not heard of hiccups. Could be a cough. I am not sure. Hopefully someone will be along with some advice for you soon;).

Yes, rabbits can get the hiccups. Both of mine have. Pixel made a short squeaking sound and there was a rhythmic small jerking of her diaphram and head. It didn't last long, a few minutes.

Skyler got the hiccups several times right after he came to live with us. I attributed it to the change in diet. He went from crappy pellets and hay to high quality with an addition of fresh vegetables.

As far as rabbits coughing... I don't know. That's a good question.

Latest posts

Back