Hiccups (Returned?)...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
When my one male bun ate pellets, he had hiccups daily (or nearly so). They lasted a short time (maybe 1-2 minutes', tops), but they were frequent. It seemed like they went away whenever he was off of pellets (short-term).

Today is day #3 that he's received Oxbow BB/T. (I'm trying him on them yet again. It doesn't make sense that he could eat crappy Purina pellets and not Oxbow; they both contain soy and wheat, so I can't fault them.) I have him up to just 3 Tbsp.'s worth andnoticed him having hiccups (about six hours' after he ate his pellets).

Can a rabbit get regular hiccups simply from the way that it may wolf down pellets, or is it more likely that it's an internal disruption caused by the pellets?

I am stumped....

Jenk

Sorry I don't really have any answers for you. I think it's unknown why people get hiccups too! I noticed Hershey had them the other day. I think they are harmless unless they last for a very long period of time.

I know Hershey eats constantly. In a 6 hour period he would have eaten hay, veggies and pellets several times, so it would be hard to know what or if eating caused his hiccups.

I would think that wolfing down food could cause hiccups. I know when I was in college, wolfing down beer gave me hiccups! lol!

I don't know if this applies to rabbits, but.....
Lately my husband gets hiccups after he eats, especially dinner. He eats really really really fast. It's kinda embarassing how fast he eats, I don't like eating in public with him, it's like he just sucks down his food. (Then he eats more because his stomach hasn't told him it's full yet, and then he has a stomach ache because he ate twice what he should have. Every day, never fails. You'd think after 28 years on this Earth he'd have figured it out by now......)

Maybe your bunny just eats the pellets too fast?

golfdiva wrote:
I would think that wolfing down food could cause hiccups. I know when I was in college, wolfing down beer gave me hiccups! lol!
:biggrin2: Too funny! I've never experienced hiccups from drinking alcohol; then again, I've never been one for beer and never wolfed down the fruity-flavored drinks that I'd preferred.

BethM wrote:
I don't know if this applies to rabbits, but.....
Lately my husband gets hiccups after he eats, especially dinner. He eats really really really fast. It's kinda embarassing how fast he eats, I don't like eating in public with him, it's like he just sucks down his food. (Then he eats more because his stomach hasn't told him it's full yet, and then he has a stomach ache because he ate twice what he should have. Every day, never fails. You'd think after 28 years on this Earth he'd have figured it out by now......)

Maybe your bunny just eats the pellets too fast?

I'm generally a compassionate person. But when I read your post, my reaction was:

:laugh:

My husband's been on this Earth for 30 years' now, and he still can't figure out how/what to eat/drink that doesn't give him gas from the other end on a daily basis. What can I say? (How lucky am I?) ;)

Latest posts

Back