Hi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boundingbunny

Reaction score
Hi everybun I am new to Rabbits Online and already love it! I own to rescue rabbits named Ralph and Rosie. Ralph is my 1yr NZ giant cross rex albino bunny. Rosie is my 1.5yr back, brown and tan mini lop. They are not house rabbits they live in a converted cubby that is fox, cat, dog, mosquito proof ext. My rabbits are provided with free range time in my house and lots toys.I am Australian just letting everyone know just in case!:rabbithop

Hi boundingbunny,

I'm also new here & I'm from Tasmania. Yes this seems to be an interesting & supportive site for bunny lovers :hearts

I was looking for a way to interact with other rabbit lovers, especially lops & I was really pleased when I found this site :group2:

:welcome1

Hi! :welcome

I'm fairly new and love this website (and the phone app!) You should post some pictures of your buns! They sound like cuties :)

Hi! I joined recently too. I am a new bunny mom so it was nice to find a place with knowledgeable people. I have already learned tons by just browsing the forums. I mostly use the phone app, I really like it.

:hello
I have three bunnies and they are kept outside as well in critter and pest proof hutches. I have allergies so they don't come into my house. This site has been a great help to me for winterizing my hutches and caring for my rabbits in general.

Bville, have you tried some sort of OTC once-a-day allergy med, by chance? My boyfriend had allergy symptoms whenever he handled my Holland lop (not my lionhead, though) and found that taking generic Claritin made it possible for him to play with Gaz without being miserable afterward. Recently, I bought generic Zyrtec for him to try instead of Claritin because he was still complaining of some non-rabbit-related allergy issues and he likes that even better. The name brands are crazy expensive, but I believe the generic Zyrtec at Walmart was under $15 for a 45 day supply, which really isn't bad at all.

It's probably worth a try if you haven't tried it already - even if your rabbits are comfy-cosy in their outdoor hutches, once daily allergy meds might allow you to spend time with them more comfortably :D

Bville, have you tried some sort of OTC once-a-day allergy med, by chance? My boyfriend had allergy symptoms whenever he handled my Holland lop (not my lionhead, though) and found that taking generic Claritin made it possible for him to play with Gaz without being miserable afterward. Recently, I bought generic Zyrtec for him to try instead of Claritin because he was still complaining of some non-rabbit-related allergy issues and he likes that even better. The name brands are crazy expensive, but I believe the generic Zyrtec at Walmart was under $15 for a 45 day supply, which really isn't bad at all.

It's probably worth a try if you haven't tried it already - even if your rabbits are comfy-cosy in their outdoor hutches, once daily allergy meds might allow you to spend time with them more comfortably :D

Yes, I've been taking generic Allegra and prescription Singulair for several years to control my many allergies. I had chronic sinus infections because of allergies my whole life up until about two years ago so I don't want to do anything that might start that problem up again. When I got the rabbits I thought it was normal to keep them outdoors because I have seen lots of outdoor hutches for sale in Amish country and on the internet. It wasn't until after I got my rabbits that I learned that it's not really recommended by some groups. I do the best I can, and my husband helps too, to give them attention and get them out for exercise in the garage or outside when the weather isn't too bad.

*nods* I used to have chronic sinus infections as well - it's brutal! I can't stand Singulair, it made my lungs feel dry ><

While many people are adamant about rabbits being kept inside, it's honestly just fine as long as your climate isn't too harsh. Rabbits handle cold extremely well and insulating/protecting them against winter weather is reasonably easy to do - it's really only heat that can be an issue. My personal opinion is that rabbits belong inside in climates above 90-95F (they can become susceptible to heat stroke at 80F and house bunnies shouldn't be out in temps higher than 80-85F; however, rabbits that live outdoors year round adapt as the weather warms up in spring and can tolerate higher temperatures in the summer if the proper precautions are taken) but otherwise, it's perfectly acceptable to keep them outside. I certainly wasn't criticizing your decision to house them outdoors ;)... just thought I'd toss out an idea that might let you spend more time snuggling with them, hehe (though it sounds like my suggestion isn't right for your situation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back