Hi!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle89

Reaction score
My name is Danielle and I currently have 2 rabbits, Daphne and Tameka. Both rabbits are rescued...Tameka was rescued from my 7th grade science teacher who was neglecting him and Daphne was adopted from craigslist because she was thrown out of her house in downtown milwaukee because she chewed on a cord. I love both of my rabbits very much.

Ohhh, Danielle, can I just hug you?!:)

I'm so happy you rescued these babies.

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place!:wave: Glad to have you.

Would love pics of the buns when you get a chance.

Again, Welcome!

Crystal

I am glad to be a member! Im hoping to be able to put pics on very soon. I am actually looking for some answers though. One of my bunnies, Daphne is very cage aggressive. I have had her for almost 2 months now and she is very mean. I can't even so much as walk past her cage without her grunting and growling at me. If I so much as touch anything in her cage or even her she will do everything she can to bite me. Now I know that part of her problem is that she isn't fixed yet but I do plan on doing that in the near future. Any ideas as to what I can do to help her calm down?

Sounds like hormones kicking in for her. This is typical behavior.;)

What I recommend right now is not reaching in while she is in the cage, firstly. Don't let her know there is a male around either. Also, means don't wear clothes that you held a male bun with, instant aggression with you could take place because of that, alone.

Which means covering cages or puttin them away from each other until after spay/neuter is done. Separate play times. Allow about three weeks to go before even trying to bond them.

Is Tameka neutered?

Yes Tameka is neutered. Do you think it would bne ok to have her fixed soon or should I wait...the reason I ask is because I am almost positive that she is actually going through a false pregnancy...shes pulling out her fur and nesting.

:hello Hi Danielle! Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see photo's!!!! Your babies sound wonderful. Don't be upset over Daphne's behavior. She can't help it right now.

You can certainly go ahead and spay your girl. A false pregnancy won't matter at all. (Let the vet know she's going through that, just so he/she can verify there isn't a real pregnancy.)

:welcome1

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics. So glad you rescued these buns!

I also have a few rescues and my most recent one came to me on September 30, 2007. He wasvery cage aggressive to the point where I wore leather gloves to put food and hay in his cage! I got him neutered in mid-October, put him in a much larger cage and both those things together seemed to help a lot. I also kept the number of times I stuck my hands in his cage to a minimum. By December I could reach in and take his bowls out to clean them and refill them without fear. I think it just takes time and patience. I know that the previous owners had 4 small kids who would poke him in his cage so I just gave him time to adjust and trust us. I still only clean his cage and change his litter box when he is out. He comes in to check to see what is going on sometimes but hasn't bitten me in quite a while.

Neutering probably helped a lot too! Good luck!

:great:Thanks for helping these buns. As you mentioned, a spay will most likely help the aggressive girl. The sooner the better. And remember that part of her aggression may be from fear. Do everything you can to earn her trust. We had a mini-lop come in that had been beaten. We have never seen such an aggressive rabbit. It took us months (and many Band Aids) to gain her trust. But once we did, she turned into averydocilebunny. Congrats on a job well done.

Randy

Well, I must thank all of you for all of your help. I am actually calling my vet as soon as I am offline to make her an appointment to get spayed. I cant wait for Daphne to calm down so I can start spending lots of quality time with her without having to worry about her biting me. Hopefully after she calms down from being fixed and I gain her trust I will be able to introduce her to my other bunny Tameka(who is neutered) my ultimate goal is for the 2 of them to live together.

Thanks again!:jumpforjoy:

Yay another Wisconsin person! There's a bunch of us. We're awesome.;)

I'm glad you're getting Daphne spayed soon. It usually helps a lot with cage aggression. Also, if she is going through a false pregnancy she might be a bit more nasty than normal due to her raging hormones.

What kind of cage does Daphne have, size and set-up? Pictures would be great. I've found that with cage aggressive buns, the larger cage the better, plus add some boxes etc. to hide in. When it's big enough, they usually choose a favorite hiding spot to defend instead of the whole cage. And toys, lots of toys. Especially stuff that makes noise or can be shredded. There's a very aggressive rabbit at the shelter I volunteer at, and I give her paper lunch bags that are stuffed with hay and tied shut. They're great punching bags!

O ok, ill have to try giving her stuff to shred...i dont really know if she will but I will give it a try. :) She is currently living in a large dog cage, 26 inches wide, 42 inches long, and 27inches tall. I know could be bigger, expecially considering her size, however, she does get out for excircise at least once a day for 2 hours and she will not be staying in this dog cage forever, as soon as she is able to live with my male, Tamkea, they will be living in a large playpen that I will be adding to. I just dont really want to spend the money on a new cage so she can live in it for only a short time. Is this cage a bad cage for her, even temporarily?

Danielle89 wrote:
O ok, ill have to try giving her stuff to shred...i dont really know if she will but I will give it a try. :) She is currently living in a large dog cage, 26 inches wide, 42 inches long, and 27inches tall. I know could be bigger, expecially considering her size, however, she does get out for excircise at least once a day for 2 hours and she will not be staying in this dog cage forever, as soon as she is able to live with my male, Tamkea, they will be living in a large playpen that I will be adding to. I just dont really want to spend the money on a new cage so she can live in it for only a short time. Is this cage a bad cage for her, even temporarily?

Your cage doesn't sound bad for her! Her exercise time is great :)

-Kathy

Latest posts

Back