Hi! something that i’m concerned about is my rabbits’ nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushy&juniper

Reaction score
Both of baby rabbits nose are yellow... like the fur outlining the nose is yellow. I was only able to get a few good close-ups. I’m not sure if it’s something I should worry about. I’m not sure I can clean their nose either?...
41CE7E47-62A3-40A7-8C74-B8248BB676FA.jpeg
7BCF956E-91C3-435F-B538-FA8F92318D52.jpeg

Have they been sneezing or wheezing? Usually, when I see a nose like that I think it's snuffles (Pasteurella Infection), but i could be wrong, it could also possibly be allergies. The symptoms usually are, Mucus coming from the nostrils. Runny eyes. Breathing problems, possibly some wheezing, coughing and sneezing, and your rabbit will feel poorly. Appetite will be reduced because it’s hard to breathe and swallow with a blocked nose. Many rabbits with snuffles have dirty front paws because they have wiped their noses and eyes.

I have seen them sneeze a few times, but I assumed that it could have been because of the way they are drinking their water. Also, they are running around a lot. Their paws are yellow because that's how I got them. I actually tried cleaning their paws before but they kept trying to get away from me and I didn't want to hurt them so I haven't cleaned their paws. And if it Pasteurella infection, how should I treat it?

No, the water generally wouldn't get into their noses, even if they drank from a bowl. Were they outdoor rabbits when you got them, and where and when did you get them? If it is Pasteurella infection, your best option would be to take them to a vet. They likely will prescribe antibiotics and something else depending on how bad it is. But if snuffles isn't treated quickly enough it can easily turn into chronic snuffles, meaning they have it for a long time.

No, the water generally wouldn't get into their noses, even if they drank from a bowl. Were they outdoor rabbits when you got them, and where and when did you get them? If it is Pasteurella infection, your best option would be to take them to a vet. They likely will prescribe antibiotics and something else depending on how bad it is. But if snuffles aren't treated quickly enough it can easily turn into chronic snuffles, meaning they have it for a long time.

We got them from my mom's friend's roommate. It looked like they were keep them outside.
E7B169FF-34AD-4FBC-B862-FE3ABB72C1E7.jpeg

nope, going to a vet should not be necessary if they are eating and pooping. It's not bad unless you see solid mucus and frequently sneezing.

Many people are getting the yellow noses this time of year, including my rabbits and baby ones. it is high pollen season - the yellow could be from sniffing and digging faces in food and hay, etc. Its mostly from hay nose!! hope this helps.

nope, going to a vet should not be necessary if they are eating and pooping. It's not bad unless you see solid mucus and frequently sneezing.

Many people are getting the yellow noses this time of year, including my rabbits and baby ones. it is high pollen season - the yellow could be from sniffing and digging faces in food and hay, etc. Its mostly from hay nose!! hope this helps.

They are pooping and peeing a ton!
Solid mucus? Do mean boogers?
I haven’t seen them sneeze recently.
If I want to clean my rabbits yellow paws, can I use wipes to clean them? Will that be effective?

It’s likely just allergies. I’ve seen a few instabunnies with mucky noses and my own bunny has began to get it a little. Just make sure the hay isn’t really dusty, or there isn’t a lot of dust in there enclosure. As long as they aren’t sneezing and you can’t see any white mucus, they should be okay. Of course, if you have a bad feeling about anything, you can always call your vet. As for the paws, it took my rabbit about a month for him to properly clean his brown yucky paws from living outside before I adopted him, but they are clean and pristine white now.

It’s likely just allergies. I’ve seen a few instabunnies with mucky noses and my own bunny has began to get it a little. Just make sure the hay isn’t really dusty, or there isn’t a lot of dust in there enclosure. As long as they aren’t sneezing and you can’t see any white mucus, they should be okay. Of course, if you have a bad feeling about anything, you can always call your vet. As for the paws, it took my rabbit about a month for him to properly clean his brown yucky paws from living outside before I adopted him, but they are clean and pristine white now.
I agree. however, their yellow paws shouldn't be a problem, my baby bunnies almost always have white paws due to being litter box trained. so I look at it as a good thing!! if it is for vanity and looks that you want to clean them, talk to your vet first and if you do decide to clean them, make sure the rabbits are not licking the cleaned area after as it can be bad for their health to consume cleaner products...

They are pooping and peeing a ton!
Solid mucus? Do mean boogers?
I haven’t seen them sneeze recently.
If I want to clean my rabbits yellow paws, can I use wipes to clean them? Will that be effective?
the general rule for pet rabbits is that if they are eating and pooping, they are alright. if they haven't eaten or gone to the bathroom is over 12-24 hours, then syringe feed Critical Care before taking them to the vet.

so sounds like they are doing fine given the circumstances. keep a close eye on them though!

the general rule for pet rabbits is that if they are eating and pooping, they are alright. if they haven't eaten or gone to the bathroom is over 12-24 hours, then syringe feed Critical Care before taking them to the vet.

so sounds like they are doing fine given the circumstances. keep a close eye on them though!
Sorry, this is wrong. Just because a bunny is still eating doesn't meant they don't need a rabbit vet visit. If there is a possibility the bunny has an infection it is always best to get them checked out earlier than later. The sooner treatment is started the better. Allergies are very, very rare in bunnies and sneezing and discharge almost always mean respiratory infection. Also, don't syringe critical care unless advised by a vet. It could do serious harm e.g. when bunny has a blockage.

Latest posts

Back