Hi, new here, my intro

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showrabbits

Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined this group.A friend told me about it.

I am 18, and I live in Iowa. My name is Tamra. (Sorry I dont use more info about myself than that on the internet);)

I just started college. I am going to college for Biology. I want to bea wildlife biologist, well actaully it would be field biology, I may dosome work in zoology for my degree as well. I have always wanted to dosomething with animals. I dont want to be a vet because you see toomany animals in pain, even though most the times you can help them getbetter it is still too many for me.;)

I have had rabbits for almost my whole life. I have been working withtwo breeds for most of my time with rabbits. One is the Flemish Giant,I have had this breed for the longest. The other breed I am workingwith is the English Lop. I do show rabbits in open arba shows, and Ialso raise them. I do not breed alot but I do breed. I know that someof you guys dont like people who breed rabbits but I hope that I canexplain my ethics. I was once a person who did not like people breedinganimals as well. I started the English lop a while ago when they wereat risk of becoming endangered (that is if domestic breeds can be).They actauly had to import more so that way there would be a big enoughgenetic pool. Now if you ever met a english lop you would can see howthere is nothing else like them. I brought the first pair of englishlops to Iowa, and there is most states that do not have english lops,or true pure breed english lops. The english lops are thought to be theoldest known breed of rabbit still exsisting, it is also thought thatall the other breeds that you know; the english lop had something to dowith that. The english lops also had some problems with health. Theywere having many structural problems like sternum and breast bonedeformities. Without better breeding practices those problems would ofgone on and many rabbits in this breed would suffer with this problem.So through better breeding pratices and dedicated breeders the englishlops numbers have come back to a sustainable point, and have becomehealthier although there is still alot of work to be done before all ofthe breast bone problems are gone.

The flemish giant breed is one that I just love. They have the gentlepersonality, many people call them the gentle giant. I found that theywork great for teaching the kids at the wildlife camps I help out withduring the summer about animals, and allows the kids to get hands onexperiences with a animal that other wise at the camps they may not beable to because well you cant realy touch the wild animals. They alsohelp out alot with the 4-hers, I use my flemish for the workshops, andthey are so gentle and big that I can teach the kids about rabbitstructure and body parts, andthe kids can get over theirfears of handling a rabbit.

Okay now the next reason why I decided to raise rabbits. I have alwaysloved my rabbits personalities, and I wanted to learn more about them.I have the scientific training and knowlegeto approach thisin a learning/documented manner. The college that I am considering formy future college time requires you to do a research project. I wantedto do it on rabbits, the genetics, traits, and behaivors. This is oneof the reasons why I am on here. I realy wanted to help peopleunderstand their rabbits better by sharing what I have learned so faralong with learning more.You can trust me to have quizedevery rabbit breeder that I have met on everything from well the R inRabbit to the Y in bunny.

My rabbits are treated like pets, in almost every manner, they arebreed only a couple of times if that, and only if I have the space forthe babies untill they find their families if they are not ones thatmatch what I am looking for for the lines.I also only breedfor the best and for the better. We live on a acreageso wehave the space, and facility to do this. My rabbits are kept in a nicewell kept barn that was remoldled into a big garage. There is windows,a Huge double stall garage door( that is opened on every nice day andshut during the night), with a soild roof, siding, and solid floors. Soit is pretty much like living in a house only with roomates of the samespecies. We do not allow the numbers of rabbits we have gethigh.My rabbits are out of their cages more than they are intheir cages. If they are at the age where they are well behaived theycan have run of the barn when it gets to their turn. For does if theyare about two or three years old they are always retired. For myrabbits retired means that they do what they want when they want. Ifthey meet someone that they like who is just so happends to be lookingfor a rabbit and will give them a good home I will let them go homewith them as long as they want to. If not they can stay here. Right nowI have two retired does. Mouse (who happends to be my first Flemish)and AJ who just retired this year. They are both very friendly girlsjust what I wanted to breed into my program. They are bonded and theyget run of the barn all the time. But they do have to go into their penwhen another rabbit gets to play for a while.

So basically my rabbits are spoiled to the max, and they are happy.Anybody who has met a rabbit from my stock (okay dont realy like thatword but its the correct term SiGHhhh) has met a always healthy, happy,full of life rabbit that has a good home.
I hope to be able to share and learn information on your forum. Thank you.

Welcome to the boards =)

And dont worry, we dont have a problem with responsible breeders! Or at least I dont hehe.

A lot of us are just angry at irresponsible breeding which usuallyleads to rabbits being abandoned, maltreated or left atshelters.

Hi Tamra! I'm glad you couldjoin. I'm sure lots will benifit from your knowledge, as Ihave. (I got Murphy from her :D)

Just be nice to me or I'll tell everyone your address and phone number and everything lol. Just kidding. :p

Glad to have you here

-Madelon

Everyone be prepared for really long posts :p

Warmest Welcome, showrabbits,

There's not a person on this board that has ever expressed that theydon't like breeders. We all have a lot of respect for breeders andwe're lucky to have some members that are such. This forum is open toall rabbit fanciers, not one or another are favored. We do happen tohave more pet owners, but that is by coincidence. I have nothing butrespect for breeders such as you.

As you'll see, many of us encourage people who wish to get a rabbit to go to a shelter or a breeder.

I look forward to your sharing your experiences and thoughts with us. Isaw your other post and welcomed you there, but wasn't sure whether youhad seen it, so I'm glad you opened this one.

We have some Flemish rabbit owners on the board and I know thatdajeti2, for one, will be thrilled to chat with you about her rabbit,Apollo. That combined with the fact that her husband wants to get anEnglish will thrill her.

I hope you enjoy the forum and I feel fortunate to have you among us.

:)

A Flemish named Mouse: Now that's cool!

Jump in anywhere.

-Carolyn

Yes, welcome Tamra!

I'll jump in on the bandwagon and say that no one here has a problemwith breeders such as yourself, only pet owners who are breeding forthe wrong reasons. My personal feeling is, unless you are breeding toimprove the breed and create a healthy "stock", then you shouldn't bebreeding, because you are adding to the massive pet overpopulation. Butyou sound wonderful and responsible, so more power to ya! ;)

Hope you enjoy the boards.

Welcome to the board. I look forward toseeing more posts. You've picked a very interesting field togo into in college.

Everyone here is great, very tolerant and knowledgeable. Everyone helps everyone and shares their many experiences!!!

I have a Flemish Giant myself...I have several pics posted ofBubba...he's my baby. English lops are so cute!!! Ican't believe the ears!!!

Anyway, if I don't stop myself I'll yak away...again, welcome to the board!!!

Dawn

Welcome to the board! Don't worry, none of usbite. :pLook forward to reading your posts as you seem toknow quite a lot of interesting stuff about rabbits. We could alwaysuse more people like that around. ;)

~Nichole

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to readingyour posts. This is the warmest most accepting group of people, sodon't worry about anyone coming down on you.

I would agree with everything that was writtenabove, and go on to add, that one does get a sense of "family" here onthis forum that I've not seen in any others I have been associated with.

People here are open-minded and willing to share the knowledge they mayhave gleaned through their own experience(s) as long as everyone treatsone another with respect and civility. The moderator herebrooks no trolling, permits no foul or vulgar language, nor belittlingof other's efforts. This is a place you can have no fear ofrecommending to anyone of any age, who is a rabbit fancier.

The international flavor of the members here just adds to the cachet and interesting conversation thats flows through the posts.

Welcome to a warm bunny place that treats you like family, but is notsaccharine, nor silly. Well, maybe we get silly once in awhile, but not in a saccharine way. LOL

Buck

Welcome to this forum.Everybody on here are very wonderful people who really love rabbits.

Welcome,there are several rare breeds of rabbitthat need people to raise them.Im afraid i dont have a list but i knowthey have an online site, anyone that would like to raise rabbitsshould consider rare breeds.bluebird

Like Pals. Another uncommon beautiful big breed, gentle and outgoing with a really strange sense of humor!

Everyone should have a Pal!!! hehehe (see my avatar!:)

Rose

Back