Hi/Lo's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score

Bumping up as some on the chat yesterday said they missed this post and might be interested in it.

Buck

Posted: Sun Feb 20th, 2005 09:27 am

spacer.gif

DaisyNBuster wrote: [/b]
While on the subject of cold snaps, what is the coldest that a rabbit can comfortably stand?
Did a little researching. Rabbit Production, Eighth Edition, most rabbit breeders' "bible" says,

An ideal temperature is 50 to 60 degrees F. This is knownas the "comfort zone." At either higher or lower temperaturesthan this, the animal has to expend energy to maintain its bodytemperature. Rabbits are much more tolerant of lowtemperatures than high temperatures. A Major considerationunder low temperatures is that feed consumption is increased so theanimal can maintain its body temperature. Thus, the lower theenvironmental temperature, the poorer the feed conversion, because agreater quantity of feed energy is being used to maintain bodytemperature....It is significant that water consumption also increasesas the temperature drops, because of the increased feedintake. Restricted availability of water under coldconditions(e.g., from frozen water lines) will reduce performance morethan restriction at the comfort zone,because rabbits will not eat ifthey don't have sufficient water. page 101.

Conversely, on page 284:

Rabbits are of Mediterranean origin and adapt best to climaticconditions that are not extremely cold or hot. They are notvery tolerant of high temperatures and experience considerable heatstress when the temperature reaches about 88 degrees F.

These comments are pretty much definitive for me as the wholebook is based upon years of experience and hard research by a host ofimminent authors.

Buck

DaisyNBuster wrote:
:sad:Bless his heart. He Looked this up especiallywhen I asked him that question. But that was soo....Buck.

Vickie

No Doubt. It's very hard without him. Pam and Italk about it all the time how deeply we miss him. The forumis definitely not the same.

Not many people can impact the world the way Buck did.

-Carolyn

So true. With some questions I see, I think, perfect question for Buck to answer.

Didn't know him really, but miss his posts. It's always nice seeing an old one popping up from time to time.

:bigtears:

Zee wrote:
So true. With some questions I see, I think, perfect question for Buck to answer.

That's couldn't be truer.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back