Hi from Ireland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keli

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for some first hand information and figured this would be the best place to start. I've had outside rabbits before but have just accuired my first house rabbit so I'm full of questions

This is BunBun, 4 month old Dwarf X
6512_10151696707223899_353733888_n.jpg

Welcome to RO! BunBun is really cute!

There is a lot to know about bunnies. Here is a post I posted on another topic. It might help.

"Welcome to RO! He sounds adorable! There is a lot to learn about bunnies from diet to housing and lots of other things. I suggest you get the Rabbits For Dummies book. I bought it before I got my Ash and its been very helpful. I also learned a lot by researching online.

A bunny's basic diet should consist of good pellets. You can buy those online or at the store.I buy mine at the store. Anyway they should have unlimited pellets until they are 7 months old and then you need to feed less of them. It varies, some people say to feed 1/8 cup of pellets per pound and some say to feed 1/2 cup per pound I don't really have my own opinion I just feed my Ash about a cup of pellets per day and he does fine. He's an American Chinchilla rabbit and he weighs 9 pounds last time I measured him a couple months ago.

A bunny should always have unlimited hay, usually Timothy hay that's what I feed my Ash. I buy my timothy hay from the same place I get my pellets from Walmart.

They should have some veggies per day. I feed my Ash about 1-2 cups of veggies and he does fine. Some bunnies prefer different types of veggies, for instance my Ash doesn't like Collard greens and some bunnies love them it all depends on the bunny. You just have to try out a bunch of greens and see which one he likes.

Bunnies can also have fruit and carrots in limited amounts. You can research online which fruits they can eat and how much they can eat per pound. Ash loves carrots and lots of fruit I feed it too him as a treat. Like when I eat a banana I brake off a piece and give it to Ash. Just research what kinds of fruits and how much per pound bunnies can eat.

They should have unlimited water some people get bottles of water that attatch to the cage and some people get a bowl of water. Some bunnies prefer the bottle and some prefer drinking from the bowl it all depends on the bunny. Ash will drink out of a bowl and a bottle. Just make sure to change his water at least once per day. Usually its best to refill it in the morning and the night.

Bunnies should get a lot of exercise at least a couple hours per day. They can cause mischief when out though so be on your guard. Ash tries to chew on lots of things when he's out make sure to watch him. You can bunny proof your house here is a good link for doing that: http://bunnyproof.com/

Usually at night you keep them in a cage I have a big pen that Ash goes in for the night. You can either keep him in a cage or in a hutch outside. Most of us keep our bunnies inside for the night and day so do I. I think it helps you bond with your bunny better. As far as what cage to buy, that's up to you. Usually Ebay has some pretty good cages for sale. If you buy a cage that's raised off the floor its best to buy a plastic thing that snaps onto the cage and the bunnies can hop on it so that their feet don't get sore hocks.

Than there's neutering your bunny. Most people neuter their bunnies it promotes longer lifespan and keeps them healthier. Most rabbit savvy vets will do this opperation for you. It can cost anywhere from 25-200 dollars for a neuter depending on where you live. But most likely your bunny is already neutered.

If your bunny gets sick you should take him to the vet. If he's acting weird defintely post the symptoms in a thread so we all can help you. The thing I like about the rabbits for dummies book is they list all kinds of problems bunnies can have and what the symptoms are. I would definitely get that book.

Those are just some of the basics of bunnies I'm sure a lot of them you already knew. I hope I didn't bore you with my post.

Good luck with the new bunny!"

Hi & :welcome1 to you & BunBun!
BunBun is so adorable! This is a great forum with wonderfully helpful members to answer questions & give great advice to help you with your first house bunny! I love to come here & learn, I'm still a new bunny mom! Not sure when I will feel I am no longer a new bunny mom or at what experience level! lol I'm always learning something new here! Congratulations to you & BunBun! Hope you both have a long & happy bunny relationship!

Hi and welcome. Your photo made me think of that old song, so now I've got Fred Astaire in my head singing "steppin' out with my bunbun" :D He's lovely. (and such a good dancer :D)

Hello and welcome to the forum, Bun Bun is absolutely adorable, I love his colours and markings.

Back