Hi from Armidale, Australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BridgetsFlame

Reaction score
Figured I'd say Hi. I pretty much have nothing to contribute. Long story short I live at college (it was meant to be temporary) and my mother baby sat my animals (two budgies and four guinea pigs) due to family dramas all the animals we had (and trust me there were a lot) are being rehomed. We think that in eighteen months or so, I should be out of college (oh please, please!) and living with my mother who plans to purchase a house in the area. It's killing me as is to live without pets and also having to rehome the ones I had from such a distance is awful, so to make it seem a little less lonely I figured I'd jump straight into research.

I've never owned a rabbit before, but have always wanted one. However the property I lived on backed onto a national park which was one of the places the various diseases were released to control the wild rabbit population, so not exactly the place for a pet rabbit. But once I'm living in a house again, we'll be in town and thus it's the perfect time to own a pet rabbit. So I'm here to read all I can so I can give a rabbit a wonderful home.

However all I've gotten so far is it will live in my room and I don't know if I want a mini lop or a British giant, and yes I know how much of a size difference is between them LOL. But hey I have eighteen months to learn all I can...

Cheers
Emma

Hello and welcome to RO. You may want to go to a shelter and see some bunnies firsthand as well as volunteer--there's no learning that sticks better than hands-on. Plus, we a firm believers in adopting from rescue organizations. Good luck.

Unfortunately up here in the 'wilds' of Armidale rescues aren't exactly thick on the ground, actually as far as I know rescues that take in rabbits are non-existent. The only rescue we have is the RSPCA and the one up here is dogs and cats only. It's one of the problems of being in Aus, as soon as you move away from the coast everything disappears, Armidale is a little vaguely cultured oasis in the middle of farm country... Unless I buy from the pet store (which I won't be, I don't trust that place) I'll have to travel six hours as is to find a bunny. As far as i know the closest rescue is in Perth, which is the opposite end of the country (think the distance between Oregon and New York), however I have plenty of time to find a bunny. However I will admit that though I have adopted and rescued in the past, when it's the first time I've owned a pet I'm more inclined to buy one from a registered show breeder.

Glad to have you here. Very wise to do your research before you get a bun, they are irresistible, lovable intelligent animals.

I know we have several Australian members hopefully one will be able to help you locate a bun when the time comes.

Latest posts

Back